Worst places to live in the OTU

Lol, I'm going to have to put here the world I rolled up for my subsector that really has a Law Level of... Sixteen :shock:

I dont think the Gov level was much better because of this, and really its a world where they have any excuse to give a law-breaker a death sentence. I dont have my notes here now, but I'll post about it on Monday :lol:

Golan2072 said:
Really cool idea, Captain; care if I use it as inspiration for two of the worlds in the Alkonost setting?

Sounds fine to me !

On the off chance it ever goes commercial, just talk to me first -plus, it's a steal from Robert E Howard, to some extent, so be warned.

Freelance Traveller would have no objections at all if the authors of these excellent world writeups were to send copies to our editorial or submissions addresses, complete with the author's real name for appropriate credit... There's always room for a Jump Destination...

Sorry I havent posted up my planet yet, caught a winter bug and been busy with alot of things, I got the UWP code but I'm still writing it up into a blurb. Shall have it up for Friday. Also I have no qualm of my planet being up in the Freelance Traveller, but just credit me as "Zero from the Mongoose Traveller Forum", I have no wish to give out my real name for something like this.

zero said:
Lol, I'm going to have to put here the world I rolled up for my subsector that really has a Law Level of... Sixteen :shock:

I dont think the Gov level was much better because of this, and really its a world where they have any excuse to give a law-breaker a death sentence. I dont have my notes here now, but I'll post about it on Monday :lol:

Don't forget, generally the higher the law level the lower the punishments
Law level 1 might only have a couple of laws, all punishable by death
Law level 16 would have in the order of 1 000 000 000 000 000 laws, mostly punishable by petty fines, minor incarcerations or temporary inconvenience

chrisboote said:
Law level 16 would have in the order of 1 000 000 000 000 000 laws, mostly punishable by petty fines, minor incarcerations or temporary inconvenience

Really? On Earth, the countries with extreme law levels tend to have death penalty for MANY things. N.K., China, Malaysia, Cuba and the like.

DFW said:
chrisboote said:

Really? On Earth, the countries with extreme law levels tend to have death penalty for MANY things. N.K., China, Malaysia, Cuba and the like.
USA? :cool:

I can't remember where I read that the more laws, the pettier the penalties, but after re-reading Traveller law levels, I now think that while you're possibly right
G Severe punishment for petty infractions.
I still think that the MAJORITY of the laws will result in petty inconveniences

chrisboote said:
USA? :cool:I can't remember where I read that the more laws, the pettier the penalties,

The USA has it for murder and, rarely treason. Also, the sheer number of laws in the US is staggering. Take the Fed and State Codes alone as an example.

The countries I listed have many ways to get the death penalty and are of MUCH higher law level from a Trav perspective..

Law Level isn't number of laws, it's the invasiveness of law enforcement. In fact, you might have a world with very few laws that are zealously enforced - I'd still rate that a high Law Level. (Littering and Impoliteness are capital offenses, robotically enforced. But outside of that, anything goes! Apologize to the person you are about to kill, warn any bystanders who might not wish to witness the deed, conduct the killing in a civil and efficient manner, and pay for clean up, and it's not a crime....)

The in-game use of LL is to help generate "wandering hassles" for trips outside the starport as well as limit what equipment the players can use in whatever task they are undertaking. It also serves an important role in cargo transport - some cargoes can get you in trouble on some worlds, though if you have the connections they can get you a lot of profit.

A place that zealously enforces its laws might tend to have a large number of those laws, that's true. But it's also true that a place might have a huge number of laws that were added to scratch someone's special interest, but which only exist in practice to heap on more charges when someone commits one of the more important crimes.

A good example might be the US's traffic laws - nobody is going to pull you over just to check to see if you are carrying insurance or have an up to date driver's license, but if you run a red light, then you can expect every minor infraction possible to be thrown at you.

hdan said:
Law Level isn't number of laws, it's the invasiveness of law enforcement. In fact, you might have a world with very few laws that are zealously enforced - I'd still rate that a high Law Level. (Littering and Impoliteness are capital offenses, robotically enforced. But outside of that, anything goes! Apologize to the person you are about to kill, warn any bystanders who might not wish to witness the deed, conduct the killing in a civil and efficient manner, and pay for clean up, and it's not a crime....)
Hmmmm. A new hellhole based on an ultimate interpretation of protection of personal weapons ownership and use ? Or possibly the Robots just don't get that killing is a big deal for meatcitizens .... or maybe everyone does have complete memory backups and clones....

well, it is a bit off tech for bog-standard traveller, but still....:twisted:

The in-game use of LL is to help generate "wandering hassles" for trips outside the starport as well as limit what equipment the players can use in whatever task they are undertaking. It also serves an important role in cargo transport - some cargoes can get you in trouble on some worlds, though if you have the connections they can get you a lot of profit.
<snip for brevity>

A good example might be the US's traffic laws - nobody is going to pull you over just to check to see if you are carrying insurance or have an up to date driver's license, but if you run a red light, then you can expect every minor infraction possible to be thrown at you.
'specialy if'n it turns out you're some kinda furrener.....

This is how I use it. Long term operation in a planets society will require a different approach. I use LL as the triple-A guidebook summary of potential issues for short term visitors....ie, Travellers.

Speaking of which, I finally read the first of the Dumarest books (a major inspiration for traveller).....its a very interesting (if period SF piece) read especially from the viewpoint of defining what a traveller is, and what he or she needs to get by.

edit: On this subject, check out Eonwych, a page or two back in the thread.

hdan said:
Law Level isn't number of laws, it's the invasiveness of law enforcement. In fact, you might have a world with very few laws that are zealously enforced - I'd still rate that a high Law Level. (Littering and Impoliteness are capital offenses, robotically enforced.

Yes, as I noted in my post. NK & others...

Sorry its so late, I have been suffering with the flu for weeks...

This world was a random world rolled to fill in a subsector for my campaign, but its Law-level was just stupid so I had to add it here.

Unnamed Experimental World

A89A7CG-7 (includes Gas giant plus Navy, Scout, TAS and Imperial bases, no other factions than main gov)

This is a Waterworld planet that is the same size as Terra and even has a 1.0 surface gravity. However outside of the atmosphere processed arcologies dotted on the world, the atmosphere is dense and tainted, requiring a filter to venture on the Outside seas.

The surface is almost entirely water so the hundreds of millions of people on the planet survive in a number of "Island-Arcologies" that float seperately on the world, each Island holding a handful million people in a small amount of space.

A single government reigns over the Islands, a charismatic oligarchy. Within each Island, a single member of the ruling "Council" resides and runs their Island. All Council members are in contact with each other and so each Island is identical to each other.
The Council has set a contraband on weaponry to a near paranoid level. Any spaceship wishing to pass Highport will be searched for weaponry and criminals (weapon-carriers) will face Imprisonment, though those who are lucky may just face Exile instead.
Those who carry concealable weapons or worse (as dictated by Law Level contraband table in the Core) generally get a Death sentence. The Death sentence is also handed out to crimes more serious than assault, itself getting either life imprisonment or the death penalty depending on circumstance.
This means destruction of property always gets a Death sentence, meaning even if a small child breaks a window playing a ballgame, they are immediately arrested and executed.

The Council enforce crime with deadly seriousness and on top of that hold a monopoly on the Islands atmosphere processors, charging the residents for the ability to live in the Islands or face life on the tainted seas of the Outside. Most are content to live in their crime free bubbles but those who who do not will find even if they survive on the seas and manage to find another of roughly a hundred Islands on the world, their new home will be exactly like the last one.

Technology on-world is a rough match to Terra of the 1980s and filters are available for those who can afford them. There is also a strong Imperial presence of bases near the world's Highport (there is no Lowport).
This is due to the planet being an Imperial experiment to try and quell violence and political enemies to the Empire. At this world's colonisation, political activists were shipped to the planet by the Imperial Navy who protected them from "Pirate attacks", in reality Imperial sent mercenaries, and with the Navy's protection ingrained into the populace as their guardians, it is these Naval men and their descendants who body the Council, as charismatic messiahs who guard the masses from the horrors and violence of the Outside.

Cheeky double-post just to be kept seperate from my Planet's profile, but just to ask CaptainJack if he can make a more horrific place out of my world along the lines of Paradise :twisted:

I am debating having the Waterworld's death sentence as being used as an Alien host due to Imperial bioweapons experiments ontop of using the world to crush dissidents.

Let me know what you think :wink:

Back