Where is Perrin?

What's all this? Runequest without Steve Perrins name anywhere on the badly thought out, shabbily edited rag!? Anyone know why he isn't included in the credits.... .or what he thinks of the new "Runequest"? I recently heard of SPQR. Are they any good? Maybe THEY are the new Runequest?

The new hardcover "Runequest" pamphlet seems far less straight forward than the original but does have features in the combat system that are brilliant.

Nice to see the name Runequest back in print...but....but...imagine the glorious game that COULD have been released.....aaah.

Golden Wheel Dancer said:
What's all this? Runequest without Steve Perrins name anywhere on the badly thought out, shabbily edited rag!?

Oh great :(

The last post like this had everyone at each other's throats before the day was over.

*goes to find somewhere to hide* Someone give me a shout when the fighting is over, ok?

You know what else everybody likes? Parfaits. Have you ever met a person, you say, "Let's get some parfait," they say, "Hell no, I don't like no parfait"? Parfaits are delicious.

I like parfaits.

Time to start casting spells, I feel a fight coming on...

Protection, check.
Fireblade, no, nevermind.
Bladesharp, check.
Countermagic Sheild, check.
Co-ordination. Yeah Baby! Four Combat actions!

OK, I think I'm ready.

Oh!! maybe I should have taken a look round before making my first post!!
Perhaps I was a bit strong. There are some things I like about this version of runequest.....things I will actually use in play.....er....does that help?

Hi Dancer,

Welcome to the forum. THose might be the last kind words you might read for awhile.

Let me see if I can answer some of your questions.

First off, apparently Steve Perrin was involved with the game in some way early on, doing so playtesting and wrote a couple of things. His input on the game was however limited. His name isn't on the credits becuase other people wrote the book. THat is why it doesn't look like the stuff Steve has written.

Unfortuantely some of the ads for the game imply that Steve and Greg had a bigger hand in the design process than was the case.

SPQR has been around for a few years. It isn't bad, but Steve has been a bit slooowww with the chapters.

Terms like badly thought our, shabbily edited rag, will probably upset some people, and are subjective. I think people would prefer it if you would tone it down a little, unless you want a lot of people flamining you (trust me on this. Been there; done that.)

I agree that Steve Perrin probably would be able to write a glorious version of of RQ. THat was one of the reasons why I showed up.

Perhaps I was a bit strong. There are some things I like about this version of runequest.....things I will actually use in play.....er....does that help?

LOL, don't worry, I think we all got so tired out from the last fight none of us have any left in us anyway :)

(note to everyone else who may want to post to this thread, whichever side you're on, please for crying out loud lets not start again? :) )

How about everyone lay off the newbie and just insult me as per the SOP? :)

badly thought out, shabbily edited rag

One thing you may want to do is tell us why you think this, so we can help point you in the right directions to the various threads that people with objections over specific issues have started to come up with solutions to them ;)

Oh, yeah, welcome btw (forgot that in my panic to find a decent hiding place) :)

No prob. You won't actually find the thread we are referring to. It got taken down because it got very nasty.

They havn't taken down threads or posts for being negative about the game, that one just got downright vicous.

It was started by some new poster who came in and ripped the (Choose one: Constructive Criticism or Whiney Bitching) in his first post. Apparently there was a lot of pent up frustration in some of the sides ("Fanboys" and "Negs" being the terms) that pretty much exploded.

mthomason said:
LOL, don't worry, I think we all got so tired out from the last fight none of us have any left in us anyway :)

(note to everyone else who may want to post to this thread, whichever side you're on, please for crying out loud lets not start again? :) )

Great. You mean I wasted all those Magic Points for nothing?

Rurik said:
Great. You mean I wasted all those Magic Points for nothing?

Not really, it's not like anyone is going to listen to me, is it? :)

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a deep hole to finish digging...

iamtim said:
You know what else everybody likes? Parfaits. Have you ever met a person, you say, "Let's get some parfait," they say, "Hell no, I don't like no parfait"? Parfaits are delicious.

I like parfaits.

ONIONS dammit, ONIONS!

(sorry, I got all powered up for a fight. Probably should have skipped the Fanaticism)

Thanks for the warning you guys and for the info atxghewxxpzxg.

Ok everyone.....I was being cheeky....on mongoose's own forum too!......I'm behaving myself now.

Ah....so Perrin's input wasn't included. Thats a shame. That would have been so cool. But surely a credit as the original creator of the legendary system would have been nice? Maybe he didnt want his name on it. Ah, or maybe its considered to be a completely different game.

Oh well we gotta make the most of things....I'm gonna filch those bits of pure genius (and there are a few) from the new system and sellotape them onto RQ2 :)

atxghewxxpzxg said
It isn't bad, but Steve has been a bit slooowww with the chapters.

Maybe he makes sure they work before releasing them. tee hee hee

Maybe. Actually he has mentioned on his site that life has been too hectic. BUt i think the last update was two years ago.

As to why Steve's name isn't in the credits or at least give a special thanks like Greg, I don't think anyone outside of Steve and Mongoose, and Issaries know (well Luise Perenne probably knows). All the stuff you mentioned is certainly possible, but it is speculation.

Back