Where are all the pics of painted minis? SF

billclo said:
LimeyDragon said:
The files are to large for em to upload...

I guess that explains why you didn't complete the order for the base stickers you had ordered. Free = better.

I've put your sticker back into stock to be sold.

Too bad you didn't have the common courtesy to let me know you had decided to bail out. I guess I should have figured that out when the transaction dragged out for nearly a month.

Yea, that was a surprise from my wife for my birthday.. I could have sworn i sent you a PM telling you not to save them. I apologize for the trouble i have caused you, and i am willing to still buy those off you.

The Big D said:
Finally I've mounted the shuttles onto small stands to give them some height but not so big that they can't fit under the other ships.
Looking good! Consider that idea stolen. :twisted:

14 Klingon F5s and 6 Klingon E4s completed. Next up seven D6s and seven D7s:
20KlingonFrigates.jpg

F5sandE4s.jpg

E4sadnF5s.jpg

59Klinksin3layers.jpg

What kind of foam did you use for your case? I'm going to have to build some sort of storage for all my ships. Time to start figuring it out.

Red-24 said:
What kind of foam did you use for your case? I'm going to have to build some sort of storage for all my ships. Time to start figuring it out.
Standard polyfill foam.
It comes in 12 inch x 12 inch sheets and the thicknesses run from 1/4 inch to 3 inches. I used the 1 inch thickness.
Set the minis on top of the foam in the pattern you want... trace with a pen... and cut out with a sharp exacto knife.

simple as that.

billclo said:
scoutdad said:
Plan on spending most of tomorrow (7/4) painting D6s / D7s.

Boy your wife must be really understanding/cool with you doing so much painting in the Man-Cave. :D

The understatement of the year. se has been the perfect gamer wife for over 30 years now.
She allowed me to turn the garage into a 375.6 square foot game room...
She puts up with the guys coming over to play games (as she always knows where I'm at)...
And she somehow copes with the thousands of minutes in the game room and the even morethousands of hours spent painting them.

You took the easy path and just married a gamer.

I've spent the last 15 years slowly converting my wife into one. :p

Technically this is a WIP shot, though all I have to do is attach the decals (waiting to custom-order some since I'm doing my own ship names).

federation_squadron__1_by_allerka-d55zri7.jpg

And some styrofoam asteroids and planets I made.

8723e1bdfe0d52197b4f593c981f2740-d55zs25.jpg

Thanks! I've got a Klingon fleet box that's about 90% done as well, I should probably finish that up and take some pics as well. Also my finished Fed Reinforcements box...

Allerka, if you do some shots of your finished ships, I'd like to use them on ADB's page on FB. :) Just be sure to name the files something I can recognize like FedFF -- the guys here will tell you that I am "mini-challenged." :oops:

PM me if you are interested so as to get my email address.

Jean
(Doing her marketing thing!)

scoutdad said:
billclo said:
scoutdad said:
Plan on spending most of tomorrow (7/4) painting D6s / D7s.

Boy your wife must be really understanding/cool with you doing so much painting in the Man-Cave. :D

The understatement of the year. se has been the perfect gamer wife for over 30 years now.
She allowed me to turn the garage into a 375.6 square foot game room...
She puts up with the guys coming over to play games (as she always knows where I'm at)...
And she somehow copes with the thousands of minutes in the game room and the even morethousands of hours spent painting them.

Having a hobby where you're wife always knows where you are and that is a total sausage fest will always score major points with her.

Miniature wargaming is another craft/social hobby (which is not a gender specific thing, but which stereotypically men enjoy, as female specific ones like embroidery, don't get a lot of press unless you see facebook events for your local 'Stitch and Bitch') where you do something with your hands to destress from work, and you then hang round with some other people with similar interests and have a chill out and a pint or whatever.

The craft element is a huge part of it. Think of all the specifically craft hobbies there are (scrimshaw, knitting, embroidery, painting, sculpture, pottery, etc etc) and all the hobbies with a craft element (fishing, which is still the most popular hobby in the uk, the various car related hobbies, shooting, if you are into the customising part, etc etc) and the sheet popularity.

GW believes that most of their customers don't play their games, and 90% of the miniatures they sell will never see a gaming table (which explains why they don't face continual and colossal complaints about their points systems and rules sets). It's painting something to relax at the end of the day, and doing something with your hands (as most jobs don't involve a craft element now).

That's why miniatures are such a huge part of wargaming, and why that is where the money for companies like Mongoose is. Fancy miniatures that paint up nicely equals a solid revenue stream. There's still a role for counters based board games, but a lot of board games now include miniatures you can paint as the price of plastics manufacture has come down and it becomes clear that people will buy a miniatures board game costing £100 if the pieces are nice.

I'll contribute some pictures in a bit, but I wanted to throw that point out there for people to discuss.

Ben2 said:
GW believes that most of their customers don't play their games, and 90% of the miniatures they sell will never see a gaming table (which explains why they don't face continual and colossal complaints about their points systems and rules sets).
If what I see elsewhere on the web is small-scale stuff, I'd hate to see what they'd have to deal with if most players DID play with most of their models. :p

I just finished my first Klingon squadron, and while they don't match what I saw in my mind when I started, I'm pretty happy with them. I haven't painted Trek ships since the FASA Tactical Combat Simulator back a quarter century (ugh) or so ago, but I could not resist the allure of these new sculpts. Now I'm looking forward to playing my friends' Romulan and Federation fleets!

EDITED: Sorry, those were way too gorram big...
DSC00098.JPG

DSC00093.JPG

There are other pics at my blog, Confessions of a Middle-Aged Adolescent. http://growoldnotup.blogspot.ca/2012/08/klingon-fleet-trials-task-force-karnj.html

Now they're too small. :p

But they're looking pretty good. Similar to the scheme I went for with mine, though mine are a much darker green. I kinda had to go for a TNG-era scheme. I got bored pretty quickly of painting grayscale models after doing my Federation ships.

Back