Origin of Sentience for jump space

Vormaerin

Emperor Mongoose
Hey all,

Don't want to start a big discussion of the rule itself. But I am curious if anyone knows when the concept a sentient mind had magical powers over jumpspace that a computer couldn't replicate became part of Traveller? It obviously wasn't the case in CT, where you didn't even need astrogators on ships 200 tons or less and the generate program and jump tapes covered jump plotting without help. But I don't remember the point where that changed.

Anyone recall?

They did retcon those out almost immediately, but that was just to enforce the 100 ton minimum for creating a jump bubble.

But the Generate & Navigate programs on the ship's computer did 100% of the work of prepping and executing the jump plot in CT. Book 8 robots completely ignored the topic of robotic starships, though it listed the various crew skills as things a robot could be programmed with.

But the Annic Nova (everyone's favorite anomaly) existed. :D

Hey all,

Don't want to start a big discussion of the rule itself. But I am curious if anyone knows when the concept a sentient mind had magical powers over jumpspace that a computer couldn't replicate became part of Traveller? It obviously wasn't the case in CT, where you didn't even need astrogators on ships 200 tons or less and the generate program and jump tapes covered jump plotting without help. But I don't remember the point where that changed.

Anyone recall?
I know I didn't pull it out of my own... orifice... for Robots, but I'm having trouble with the finding the source itself. Brain rather degraded at the moment, but I'll do some digging.

I would guess that bypassing astrogation and piloting skills was becoming convenient, especially as computers were becoming more sophisticated in real life.

So far I've looked for the need for a mind to monitor a jump in progress in

1. Classic Traveller, The Traveller Book (nope)
  2. the Traveller's Digest (nope)
  3. Mega Traveller Starship Operator's Manual (nope)
  4. Gurps Traveller starships (Nope)
  5. TNE - Fire, Fusion and Steel (Nope) although it includes an alternate technology called a Psionic Transfer Drive on p. 48 which mirrors the Dune Guild Navigator model using Psions
  6. T4 rulebook (nope)
  7. T5 (nope)
  8. MgT 1st Ed (Nope)
Importantly,there's a specific model of how Jump works introduced in Mega Traveller, but implicit in Classic Traveller, which is this:

- You calculate a tumble through J-Space (Astrogation) taking into account gravitational fields between you and the destination (Jump point masking).
- You pump energy into the hull grid, which opens a portal into one of the 6 accessible levels of J-Space, and start to tumble through it toward your exit point, emerging about a week later.
- There's a jump field around the ship, which separates you from the reality of J-Space.

So everything happens before entry to J-Space - calculations, energising of the hull grid etc - to determine a successful jump or a mis-jump. Once in J-Space, there's no control available, you are not flying through J-Space as in Niven's universe. Therefore a sentient mind monitoring or controlling anything makes no sense at all in this model. Will keep looking to see where the Niven model crept in.

MgT 1 st Ed also follows this model of everything that matters happens before entry:

While in Jump space, the ship is completely and utterly cut off from the universe. It hangs in a shimmering bubble of boiling hydrogen, a pocket dimension from which nothing can escape. It cannot communicate with the normal universe, not even by psionic means. It is utterly alone. ~ p. 141

In fact, the statement in the Robot handbook simply says this:

... a moderately capable conscious sentient aboard to look over the jump calculations and sit out the weeklong jump. (Robot Handbook p. 255)

So I read this simply as a human double checks the Ship Brain's work before jump entry. Nothing here seems mandatory, if there was no sentient to look over the calculations, the ship could go ahead and jump just fine, though there's perhaps some higher chance of an error not caught by a double check.

J

Last edited:
So I read this simply as a human double checks the Ship Brain's work before jump entry. Nothing here seems mandatory, if there was no sentient to look over the calculations, the ship could go ahead and jump just fine, though there's perhaps some higher chance of an error not caught by a double check.

J
It's the sidebar on pg 103 that expands on that comment.

Agent of the Imperium:
Locally registered. The robot plot was bound to fail; its conspirators did not know that
their robot brains cannot survive jump, even protected by a ship’s jump field.
It is this particular type of robot, not all robots.
There are canon examples of robots in the Third Imperium being fine with jump travel...

Agent of the Imperium:

It is this particular type of robot, not all robots.
There are canon examples of robots in the Third Imperium being fine with jump travel...
IIRC, there is AB-101 the robot character from The Traveller's Digest magazine. A pseudo-biological robot that participated a multi-year travel. He wasn't affected at all by jump space.

I wasn't aware of any such requirement in canon when I wrote The Color of Jumpspace, but I did take inspiration from Niven's Known Space setting, where you did need a sentient to monitor the hyperspace mass detector.

I can't find the reference now either.
It could be GURPS, but I wonder where I pulled the DM-4 from. It could be a JTAS article (not in the new 1-6 which refer to jump procedures - I checked those), or something in AotI. Not in T5 - though often you find rules in unexpected places in that set of tomes, so I could have missed it in this latest search. It might even have been something from a Marc Miller interview on You Tube. In my head, its somehow linked to X-boats needing a pilot, but it's not in GURPS First In.

Maybe I just hallucinated it (or got it by asking Chat GPT).

Okey dokey. I was just curious if the original source had a rationale for why it was being introduced. But if it's pulled from a novel or conversation, obviously that won't be there.

I figured it had something to do with wanting to make sure ships needed at least one crew person once they realized pilots weren't actually essential with the newer computer and robot rules.

Not really. high autonomous robots or ship's brains are not cheap. And even then, since they aren't sentient, they lack adaptability to deal with the unexpected. Also, no way to argue a ship is abandoned if there is an actual crewman aboard.

Also, if that was the case, the operative skill for an x-boat "pilot" would be Astrogation, not Pilot. So you'd need to change that up in the chargen system.

Well, you can pay for repair drones or an engineering bot to do that, but just the virtual crew won't cut it.

Back