Whatever happened to Grey Star?

A

Anonymous

So the question is this...does anybody have any earthly idea what happened to Grey Star after defeating Shasarak?

Last we hear of him, Grey Star is left holding the Moonstone and the shattered remains of his Wizard's Staff at the end of "War of the Wizards" [Grey Star #4].

Next we hear of the Moonstone again is in the Lone Wolf Grandmaster series (book 19-20). Supposedly the Moonstone had been taken by force from its previous owner, but there is no information given on who this might have been.

Book 21 sheds no light on the matter; did Book 22 do so? And if so, and given you have to take out a small loan to buy Book 22 these days - :roll: - does anybody know?

You needed but ask! :D

The answers you seek are found in
  • THE PASSING OF THE SHIANTI
    An epilogue to the first GREY STAR series
    by IAN PAGE
Just go to Project Aon, who were granted the rights to publish the Lone Wolf books for free download, and grab the Lone Wolf Club Newsletter #7. On page 10 you'll find that epilogue.

What I cannot tell you is, alas, whether there's more in Buccaneers of Shadaki, as none of the New Order books grace my shelves ... :(

Paido, who especially mourns for the New Order books 21 and 22 ... and those that are behind these tantalizing words "first GREY STAR series" above :cry:

Oh, good, Project Aon is still around. I remember interacting with somebody on that board back in the late 90s to try out their StatKeeper program. Good to see they're still around.

So Grey Star gives up the Moonstone, neh? And the Shianti leave this realm. So whoever Naar's minions mugged for the Moonstone, it probably wasn't him...

From memory (so it may be hazy) in the Buccaneers of Shaddaki, it mentions that Grey Star was the regent of the Free States (or something similar) but he vanishes a few months prior to the beginning of the book...

Arandur

It seems that many people liked the Grey Star series. But then I also hear it did not sell all that well (thus, no sequels). Can anyone tell me why?

Anonymous said:
It seems that many people liked the Grey Star series. But then I also hear it did not sell all that well (thus, no sequels). Can anyone tell me why?
I don't know for the rest of the world, but I think I have an explanation for my turf (Quebec): the GS were published near the end of the whole "books in which you are the hero" (or something like that) era. By then, many young fellows were moving to RPG or Conan or else. So that's why, IMHO the best serie knew the least succes. Weird, I agree.

Paido said:
You needed but ask! :D

The answers you seek are found in
  • THE PASSING OF THE SHIANTI
    An epilogue to the first GREY STAR series
    by IAN PAGE
Just go to Project Aon, who were granted the rights to publish the Lone Wolf books for free download, and grab the Lone Wolf Club Newsletter #7. On page 10 you'll find that epilogue.

Thanks to you again, Paido. I never read through those Newsletters because I assumed they were less than what they really were... I guess I should start DL'ing them now and see what other lost Lore I can find within...

At least GS had a more or less happy ending, which is all I ever hoped for the character.

Hey Paido, did you read the newsletter, (same one I think?) in which dever confirms the death of paido? Just wondering, 'cuz i never heard ya scream...

:wink:

redlaco said:
I don't know for the rest of the world, but I think I have an explanation for my turf (Quebec): the GS were published near the end of the whole "books in which you are the hero" (or something like that) era.

Oh I so remember those "les livres ou vous etre le hero", my french is a little shabby. It is only recently I have read the LW and GS series in English, hell when I was younger I did not even know the books were in English. In a way I learned how to read French because of "Loup Solitaire" (aka LW) and "Astre d'Or" (aka GS).

It is strange I really loved GS, I remember staying up all night reading GS 3. I also liked LW alot too, but it was nearly imposible for me to read GS 4 and I only got to LW 8 in French. When I saw Lone Wolf for sale at my hobby store I was like.... this sounds familiar. I still did not catch on till I checked the Mongoose site and then I was down Nostalgia road. :) Bought the book right away :D

PS This is my first posts here... is a little shy :oops:

welcome aboard, Madbiologist!

I'm sure you'll enjoy the book and the (sometimes off-topic and strange) posts here at Mongoose!

Madbiologist said:
Oh I so remember those "les livres ou vous etre le hero", my french is a little shabby. In a way I learned how to read French because of "Loup Solitaire" (aka LW) and "Astre d'Or" (aka GS).
Cool, a fellow "Quebecois"! Being a "Frog" (and proud to be), I read LW and GS in French way back then. I only recently learned about http://www.projectaon.org which hosts most of the original adventure books. Go check it out if you haven't already.

Madbiologist said:
PS This is my first posts here... is a little shy :oops:
Welcome and don't be shy, have a beer, the place is warm and comfy... :D
A great ressources with plenty of intelligent and knowledgeable fellows.

Xex said:
Hey Paido, did you read the newsletter, (same one I think?) in which dever confirms the death of paido? Just wondering, 'cuz i never heard ya scream...

:wink:

That's just because that big sissy Gnaag screamed louder when my trusty Vakeros power word gave him a bruise (don't forget I was in a weakened state back then) ... :twisted:

Paido, who will be avenged countless times ... :wink:

Arandur said:
From memory (so it may be hazy) in the Buccaneers of Shaddaki, it mentions that Grey Star was the regent of the Free States (or something similar) but he vanishes a few months prior to the beginning of the book...

Arandur

that's what i heard too. he was ruling the free states then he disappeared. the free states have this propaganda that "he's gonna come back one day..."

i heard that joe dever wanted to make the disappearance of grey star a bigger part of the later books of the new order, but the plot turned in another direction and as we all know he wasn't able to finish the series.

I wonder what the original plot was to be... not having even read the New Order books, maybe it was about the return of Agarash?

I remember reading something about him leaving the Free States after ruling it with the Moonstone. Of course Naar might have killed him or something since He lost the Moonstone to Naars minions... who knows...Maybe the RPG will show us or maybe that will be left up to our speculation for a very long time.

I personally like to think that Grey Star grew so powerful after having time to meditate and increase his powers, AND use the moonstone to teach him higher secrets of shianti lore, that he eventually entered the dazirian plane in order to challenge naar. Perhaps he lost, and lost the moonstone in the process, and in the later books perhaps a lone wolf (or a grandmaster apprentice, YOU the PLAYER) would have to enter the dazirian plance and rescue grey star. Similar to the way Lone wolf rescued banedon.

Yeah I know it sounds silly, but I like Grey Star. The fact that he was a human makes me think that he could even have surpassed the shianti in their power one day; and he did have the moonstone to unlock all of their teachings and knowledge.

Oh and before anyone says anything, margeret weis's raistlin character came out after the grey star books! :shock:

Back