Wafer Jack plus Neural Link

AdamWillow

Banded Mongoose
I have this problem and need a clarification. Can I ask for your help? :)

Expert software package:
A Traveller using an Expert package may make a skill check as if he had the skill at the software’s Bandwidth -1. Only INT and EDU-based checks can be attempted, however.

Wafer Jack:
A Traveller with a wafer jack can use Expert programs for tasks relying on INT or EDU only.

Neural Link:
In addition to providing the capabilities of a neural comm, it also allows the computer system access to the Traveller’s nervous system, allowing him to use a wafer jack or computer system to grant him physical skills.

How to understand this? Can I use wafer jack i.e. for athletics (dex)? Should I buy an expert program with physicall skill on it? Is expert software package (CSC p.68) different from expert program mentioned in wafer jack description?

If you have both a wafer jack and a neural link then you can use the wafer jack for physical skills.

So you can get a Expert/1, 2, or 3 with a skill based on physical attributes and use that if you have a neural link. In essence the neural link expands the capability of the wafer jack.

I have this problem and need a clarification. Can I ask for your help? :)
Neural Link:
In addition to providing the capabilities of a neural comm, it also allows the computer system access to the Traveller’s nervous system, allowing him to use a wafer jack or computer system to grant him physical skills.

How to understand this? Can I use wafer jack i.e. for athletics (dex)? Should I buy an expert program with physicall skill on it? Is expert software package (CSC p.68) different from expert program mentioned in wafer jack description?
In which book (and page number!) is a "Neural Link" detailed?

Additional question:
is neural link "wi-fi ready"? I mean, can you connect it to a computer running expert program and go to another room and still benefit from connection to neural link?

I’m not sure I’d allow that combo to be used for Athletics… I think the idea is that skills using a physical stat for DMs (such as Pilot or Gun Combat using DEX) can benefit from the neural link - increased reaction times or some such.

Regarding wi-fi, I think after TL 8 all computers have a short range wireless capability. ISTR 50 meters but can’t confirm right now. Pretty sure it is mentioned in the Core Collection (Equipment listing in Core rulebook).

Additional question:
is neural link "wi-fi ready"? I mean, can you connect it to a computer running expert program and go to another room and still benefit from connection to neural link?
That is a trickier question. A neural link is a neural comm so has connectivity.

I would say, rules as written, that you could use them remote since the robot handbook says that all neural comms include a wireless link. (robot handbook p.92 in the table)

If I were the GM however I would probably not allow physical expert programs to run over wireless and require either a physical connection to the computer or use of a wafer jack. That is just me interpreting intent though, not rules as written. An expert program for INT/EDU under my interpretation is basically "super google" for a specific subject providing you with knowledge needed for a skill (user manuals for maintenance as an example, probably with visual overlay. Law books for advocate, etc...). An expert program for a physical skill is likely an adaptive program that needs to be able to interpret physical responses within the body and thus is not passive.

I’m not sure I’d allow that combo to be used for Athletics… I think the idea is that skills using a physical stat for DMs (such as Pilot or Gun Combat using DEX) can benefit from the neural link - increased reaction times or some such.

Regarding wi-fi, I think after TL 8 all computers have a short range wireless capability. ISTR 50 meters but can’t confirm right now. Pretty sure it is mentioned in the Core Collection (Equipment listing in Core rulebook).
I agree on athletics but RAW it would be allowed.

The intent is for physical skills, from vehicle, to weapon, to athletics to be allowed with the neural link ('I know Karate'). For the CSC update coming out, well whenever the release schedule says, but soon, I resurrected the neural jack, which is basically combo-neural link and wafer jack/8 (assuming it doesn't get cut again).

And yes, you can assume wireless 50m blue-tooth-like capability. At work, I keep getting reminded that 'a smart phone has five radios' (and an accelerometer and a whole bunch of other stuff ) and that's early TL8. Having 'wireless link' spelled out on nearly all the robots might not have been my best decision... I should probably just have thrown in a 'default suite' section and made it more like a suit's electronic suite rather than repeating the default suite items with minor variations and upgrades a hundred plus times, but hindsight is <insert lame butt joke here>.

The intent is for physical skills, from vehicle, to weapon, to athletics to be allowed with the neural link ('I know Karate'). For the CSC update coming out, well whenever the release schedule says, but soon, I resurrected the neural jack, which is basically combo-neural link and wafer jack/8 (assuming it doesn't get cut again).

And yes, you can assume wireless 50m blue-tooth-like capability. At work, I keep getting reminded that 'a smart phone has five radios' (and an accelerometer and a whole bunch of other stuff ) and that's early TL8. Having 'wireless link' spelled out on nearly all the robots might not have been my best decision... I should probably just have thrown in a 'default suite' section and made it more like a suit's electronic suite rather than repeating the default suite items with minor variations and upgrades a hundred plus times, but hindsight is <insert lame butt joke here>.
Thank you very much fora detailed answers.

And what about expert programs? Are those "super google" or you can use them for skills like deception, persuade or other social skills?

Thank you very much fora detailed answers.

And what about expert programs? Are those "super google" or you can use them for skills like deception, persuade or other social skills?
Well, that's were the RAW can be tricky. Wafers cover INT and EDU, Neural Link adds STR, DEX, and END, but nothing adds SOC. So social skills may be beyond the capabilities of these cybernetics. There is the Fabulous augmentation, but it is not cheap...

Thank you very much. I have a group who asks a lot of tricky questions and I don't want to kill all the fun with giving to little or to much. I'm learning traveller, I don't want to spoil it. I want to play by the book but sometimes it can be tricky :)

Hmm, I wonder if anyone has thought of devloping a weapon based on remotely accessing the neural link/wafer jack and taking over control of the host...

No, Virus was the result of messing with silicon based life...

best way to think of it is a weaponised personality/memory copy of an edited silicon based lifeform designed to be uploaded to Imperial computer systems.

What I am thinking of here is a personality/memory download via the neural interface/wafer jack - a sort of remote Agent wafer.

Hmm, I wonder if anyone has thought of devloping a weapon based on remotely accessing the neural link/wafer jack and taking over control of the host...
Yes, One of my characters was trying to hack a network not realising an AI was at the back of it. The AI hacked back and took over the character through his neural link/wafer jack and started to try and attack his companion. Fortunately the hack was through a wired connection and the link was pulled out before too much damage was done.

at what tech level would you put shadowrun/cyberpunk in a traveller setting? because what Gavain scene describing would normally happen there. black ice / etc...

at what tech level would you put shadowrun/cyberpunk in a traveller setting? because what Gavain scene describing would normally happen there. black ice / etc...
I would say 9 (cybernetics become available), 11 (computer implants) on the high side. It is not a perfect fit though in that Cyberpunk has true AI, which does not come until TL16 (15?) in Traveller.

Traveller needs to pin down exactly what TL16+ AI means.

We have AI now running all sorts of systems, by the time we get to the TL12 stuff that learns and can mimic a personality it would certainly convince us that it is AI.

General Intelligence (or general artificial intelligence) would still only mimic human processes with one vital spark missing - awareness of self.

So it appears that this is what defines a TL16+ AI - it is self-aware, not just in terms of diagnostics, sensors and feedback loops, but actual self-consciousness.

Traveller needs to pin down exactly what TL16+ AI means.

We have AI now running all sorts of systems, by the time we get to the TL12 stuff that learns and can mimic a personality it would certainly convince us that it is AI.

General Intelligence (or general artificial intelligence) would still only mimic human processes with one vital spark missing - awareness of self.

So it appears that this is what defines a TL16+ AI - it is self-aware, not just in terms of diagnostics, sensors and feedback loops, but actual self-consciousness.
To clarify (as an ex programmer and data scientist IRL) what we have now is in no way AI as described in Traveller or Cyberpunk. What we have now would be expert in terms of Traveller.

That said AI in Cyberpunk is self-aware and self-conscious. Shadowrun is trickier with the magic element.

Back