Victory at Sea Supplement - who would buy it?

DM said:
How do you have a development cycle for a historic game?

Its fairly common. Just think how many editions of DBA or WRG Ancients there are.

WRG is a bad a example mate. I remember it was going from one revision, to the next to fix mistakes. In fact, I know a few mates who binned 7, and went back to 6 due to the fatigue rules (IIRC)

jfox61 said:
How do you have a development cycle for a historic game?

The game is not historic - the subject of it is. The game itself (that is, the mechanics) have a devlopment cycle like everything else. . .

WRG is a bad a example mate.

Judging from your experiences (and those of other wargaming chums of mine) I'd actually say it was qite agood example for what yu were trying to say. Unless you meant that it was a "bad example" in that after 7 attempts they effectively gave up and went another way with the DBx series that has itself spawned all sorts of editions (and is now reincarnated as DBMM!!)

From my own perspective I guess "Schnellboot" (my WW2 coastal rules) have been through 3 editions. #1 was very basic (produced by SDD), #2 expanded it a lot when I moved to Felix Enterprises and then #3 when Felix closed down and I took all my published rules at the time to A&A Game Engineering.

DM said:
WRG is a bad a example mate.

Judging from your experiences (and those of other wargaming chums of mine) I'd actually say it was qite agood example for what yu were trying to say. Unless you meant that it was a "bad example" in that after 7 attempts they effectively gave up and went another way with the DBx series that has itself spawned all sorts of editions (and is now reincarnated as DBMM!!)

From my own perspective I guess "Schnellboot" (my WW2 coastal rules) have been through 3 editions. #1 was very basic (produced by SDD), #2 expanded it a lot when I moved to Felix Enterprises and then #3 when Felix closed down and I took all my published rules at the time to A&A Game Engineering.

The latter :D

Hasnt General Quarters fairly recently brought out a 3rd edition...at least the naval guys at my club were discussing the torpedo changes. Harpoon is also a fairly complex detailed naval game and that has a series of versions and a host of annexes for different theatres. So development....

Flames of War - good system, several books - recent new version to fix stuff. Stick loads of extras free on the site, fan material gets added. Material comes out as they develop the info....

Fire and Fury is only slowly bringing out different periods of the WWII war stuff - and its all fixed data there.

Visbellica and DBx - series of army lists after the main book. OK on a new version they bring em out quickly or even together but thats adaptation not the new data curve. When they were new they came out over time.

It seems fairly common to break large masses of data, even if that data is now fixed, to smaller chunks to develop it into mechanism X rather than commercial exploitation or poor ways of doing things. Sure its not the only way - but the ones that come out with lots of ships/armies seem to be those that have been around for a long time or devloped over 10 years in a wargames club. Often their lots of armies etc simply need a bit of a tweak to the new version rather than wholesale de novo generation, which allows for rapid release.

I dont think that the fact the information is all known is the issue for producing something - its how much is feasible to translate from raw data to final product.

"VaS gives fast pick up and play games where I get to scream You sunk my battleship and then start again."

Hammer, in your case isn't that "You sunk my battleshipski, with one shotski" :)

Bob Hume said:
"VaS gives fast pick up and play games where I get to scream You sunk my battleship and then start again."

Hammer, in your case isn't that "You sunk my battleshipski, with one shotski" :)

more like...

"You sunk my battleshipski, with one shotski but you won't let me conceed..ski..."

:p
:wink:

Hi

There are loads of additional ships that could be added along with aircraft, for one.
How about this though: A modern variant! This would then allow linked campaign games to Battlefield Evolution and create a true combined arms system.

Back