Urban Fantasy

Gramvandle

Mongoose
Hey there!

I have just been able to return to gaming recently and am itching to get back to some Legend-based Fun. The idea I have is to run something either modern-horror based or perhaps something more Urban Fantasy in feel.

I have Legend and several of its supplements as well as the RQ6 firearms rules. What I am wondering is if there is more I would need to look at, and more importantly is there something already out there for this game that I am missing?

Thanks in advance

Gram

I would recommend "The Company" on the D100 website. It has a lot of info on modern firearms and tactics which might be useful when that Army National Guard unit has to take down that Dragon.

The Company is a really useful book ... if you want Neverwhere or Diagon Alley to be on the receiving end of a raid from a Battalion of UNIT.
It's a book on modern mercenary soldiers. That's all.
The game is still crying out for a Modern Legend, in a choice of decades: post-war Forties, Fifties, Sixties, Seventies, Eighties, Nineties and Noughts, for instance, along with various and sundry forms of Arcania of Modern Legend covering, oh I dunno, worlds resembling Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, the Alan Garner stories The Weirdstone of Brisingamen and The Moon of Gomrath, and Jim Butcheresque Harry Dresdenlike settings of urban (and urbane) shamans and sorcerers working their dark callings in a world of staid science that doesn't even acknowledge their existence.

I will have to take a look at the Company. I haven't heard of that before so it is now on a list of must-reads.

The setting idear I had in mind was along the lines of a Neverwhere/American Gods/Dresden Files kind of mashup. I am a fan of much of the D20 modern work and think the idea of an Urban Fantasy thing would be neat for Legend.

Any other advice you all may have would be greatly appreciated as I start working more on this!

Gram

alex_greene said:
The Company is a really useful book ... if you want Neverwhere or Diagon Alley to be on the receiving end of a raid from a Battalion of UNIT.

I want to play in this adventure! But on which side....

alex_greene said:
It's a book on modern mercenary soldiers. That's all.
The game is still crying out for a Modern Legend, in a choice of decades: post-war Forties, Fifties, Sixties, Seventies, Eighties, Nineties and Noughts, for instance, along with various and sundry forms of Arcania of Modern Legend covering, oh I dunno, worlds resembling Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, the Alan Garner stories The Weirdstone of Brisingamen and The Moon of Gomrath, and Jim Butcheresque Harry Dresdenlike settings of urban (and urbane) shamans and sorcerers working their dark callings in a world of staid science that doesn't even acknowledge their existence.

I think a modern urban fantasy sourcebook for Legend would be a great release - ideally it would cover everything from modern horror to children's fantasy to the paranormal romance sub-genre. I believe it would be possible to do something quite different to the World of Darkness and similar modern paranormal / horror RPGs...

Prime_Evil said:
I think a modern urban fantasy sourcebook for Legend would be a great release - ideally it would cover everything from modern horror to children's fantasy to the paranormal romance sub-genre. I believe it would be possible to do something quite different to the World of Darkness and similar modern paranormal / horror RPGs...
I always wondered what it would be like to have something like the urbane, Machiavellian bloodsuckers from Vampire: the Masquerade or Vampire: the Requiem in Legend.

Not the whole Clan / Covenant stuff, or the whole Camarilla / Sabbat / anarchs backstory drivel, but definitely some sort of closed, isolationist undead cultural scene ...

for a more classic take on that, both Vampire: Victorian Age and Vampire: The Dark Ages and associated sourcebooks are good reads.

When talking about urban fantasy, Vampire the Masquarade is not far off, is it? So I have been thinking about playing evil (monster) characters, not necessery in modern world. Legend could be awesome Vampire Dark Ages type of game. I would want to use Blood Magic book, with powerful spells, but I am wondering, how would Legend support playing monsters.

I really would like mechanic about losing humanity and becoming corrupted. Any of that in Blood Magic supplement? Also, any good method to make a supernatural character, like vampire?

Sorry, if it too much of a off-topic.

There are rules for magical corruption in RQ6 'Monster Island'.

As a product I highly recommend it. It's a really well thought out supplement with huge amounts of excellent ideas and mechanisms, on a wide range of topics (and very easily portable to 'Legend').

I have a slew of different Legend/RQ6 and such PDF's now and am going through them compiling ideas here and there for this. I really like everyone's suggestions!

Admittedly this is going slower than I had hoped but Real Life keeps butting in :)

I have been bouncing around a couple of ideas extensively, going from a Pulp-ish setting to a more modern one but have yet to solidly settle on one... thus my lack of progress...

If you are looking at pulp, I've got a list of modern "pulp" professions complete with skill bonuses. They could be tinkered around with a little more to being them up to the modern era.

http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=72853

I would rather have a generic book that allows urban fantasy without tying it to a specific setting; allowing me to adapt it to "True Blood" or "Vampire Diaries" or "Teen Wolf" even "Twilight" if that is what I want.

Give me the tools to mix modern and fantasy and let me build my setting. Maybe with some suggestions of course...

Back