Typos, Errors etc. in 2nd Ed ActA

The VaS PDF had all typos/errors corrected, so I am hoping the ACTA one will be the same. Then, I'll buy it :lol:

Court Jester said:
Reaverman said:
So you go to the shops, and you have a £20. You ask the sales assistant, to break it down into one £10, one £5, and five £1 coins. You then change your mind, and change two £1 coins into two £2 coins :p

However for this example to actually explain the the rule you would have to ask the sales assisstant to split the £20 note into the same denomination... so four £5 notes. And then you ask for two of them to be changed changed into a £10 note.

As far as I can tell the current rules are just a cleaner way of using the PL system and allowing a varience of PL splits. Who care whether you trade-up or down...

Still confused :shock:

so you don't get any £10 notes just £5 notes eh? Really need to see all the splits down on paper to work my head round it.

didn't it used to be spit £20 down into 2 £10 notes and then 1 £10 into 2 £5 Notes and so on? Isn't that what you just siad happens now but by going up? Or am i still being stooopid :)

There is a list in the first few pages of the fleet book. Seems clear enough and you can break doen one half of your split into the next PL below and carry on going. It only gets confusing when going back up again and exchanging 2 of your lower PL ships for 1 ship of the PL above. Seems daft to split and then exchange for no loss or gain , why bother in the first place. But as the list on what you can get for your Armageddon, War and Battle point is qute comprehensive it should be simple enough to see what you are getting.

Thats good and going to look at it now - but Greg posted that there are contradictory rules on the FAP spilt in the fleet book?

Points are no longer split down like that.

Say I am playing a 5 point Battle.

Remembering that my FAP's will purchse:

1 ship of the same level
2 ships of a level below
4 ships two levels below
8 ships three levels below
12 ships four levels below
18 ships five levels below

And once I have done that I can trade them up...

For my first FAP I decided to purchase 8 Patrol Ships. I then take 2 of them and trade them up for 1 skirmish ship.

current count - 6 Patrol 1 Skirmish

For my next point I buy 4 Skirmish ships and trade in 2 of them for a raid ship.

current count - 6 Patrol 3 Skirmish 1 Raid

My next point is spent on 2 raid ships.

current count - 6 Patrol 3 Skirmish 3 Raid

My fourth point is spent on 8 Patrol ships, 4 of which I trade up into 2 skirmish ships.

current count - 10 Patrol 5 Skirmish 3 Raid

My final point is spent on a Battle level ship...

final count - 10 Patrol 5 Skirmish 3 Raid 1 Battle

Does that make any more sense?

It may well have the same final effect as splitting down points but is much easier to understand and use.

I am totally confused

According to the very useful table (thank the Great Maker) I can get exactly the same ships as you igniring the wierd buy up thing:

1 Battle point gets me 1 Battle ship
2 battle point gets me 2 raid
3 battle point gets me 1 raid, 1 skirmish and 2 patrol
4 battle point gets me 4 skirmish
5 battle point gets 8 patrol

= 1 battle, 3 raid, 5 skirmish, 10 Patrol = so same as you but no buy up thing - so what is the point in the rule? :? :? :? :?

As far as things that are wrong with the book. I've had mine less the 24 hours and the pages in the rule book have fallen out. I'm gonna take it back to the store where I bought it but now I'm worried it will happen again. The fleet book seems to be much higher quality, why didnt they make the rule book with the same type of paper?

Right Hand of God said:
Court Jetser why can't you split down like that anymore? Matt said the table in the fleet book is the one to use and that is what the table says

Because that is not what the actual text in the fleet book says. The rules for FAP's mention nothing about splitting individual points down and only mention trading up. It is the summery box that is wrong.

Da Boss said:
I am totally confused

According to the very useful table (thank the Great Maker) I can get exactly the same ships as you igniring the wierd buy up thing:

1 Battle point gets me 1 Battle ship
2 battle point gets me 2 raid
3 battle point gets me 1 raid, 1 skirmish and 2 patrol
4 battle point gets me 4 skirmish
5 battle point gets 8 patrol

= 1 battle, 3 raid, 5 skirmish, 10 Patrol = so same as you but no buy up thing - so what is the point in the rule? :? :? :? :?

Because as it stands there are NO rules in the fleet book for splitting points any more. The way you buy a fleet now has changed. It might allow you to end up with the same configuration of ships but the rule is different.

And all I am saying is I find this new route easier to work with than the old one.

Look... this is the text from the fleet book...

Breaking Down Fleet Allocation Points

As well as using the Fleet Allocation table above you can also use a single Fleet Allocation Point to buy ships of different Priority Levels, using the following method.

If you use a Fleet Allocation Point to buy more than one ship (that is buy ships of a lower Prioriy Level than the scenario), then two of thise ships may be swapped for one ship of the nexy higher Priority Level. This may be done more than once if you are buying ships of a sufficiently loe Priority Level to the Scenario.

For example, if you are playing a War level scenario, you could buy four Raid level ships, as shown in the Fleet Alloctaion Table. However you could instead buy two Raid level ships and then swap the two remaining Raid level ships you would normally purchase for one Battle level ship.

A summery of how this works is shown here.

Nothing about splitting points down... nothing at all.

I find this new rule a much cleaner way of picking a fleet... thats all.

People need to stop assuming things haven't changed and read the rules (when they arrive :wink: ).

Court Jester said:
Because as it stands there are NO rules in the fleet book for splitting points any more. The way you buy a fleet now has changed. It might allow you to end up with the same configuration of ships but the rule is different.

The table of the Fleet Allocation point Breakdowns (page 3), is based on splitting down, not combining up though.

Guess MGP should really, really, really, clear that up finally, and give out a definite ruling on FAPs. I don´t really bother whether to split down or to combine up, it´s just that people will ask me about it once I got my books and started demoing again, and then I would pretty much like to know what to tell them.

So, I think we do need a definite answer, a downloadable pdf (because not everyone can always search through the forums for the latest ideas on this), and a correction to the books. Not just a "yes" or "no", really, a complete update on this. Please?

Greg Smith said:
Court Jester said:

The table of the Fleet Allocation point Breakdowns (page 3), is based on splitting down, not combining up though.

Yes, but I would rather go with the actual rule written on page 3 instead of the "summary". And right now the Summary is wrong because it does not summerize the rule.

The summary might show off possible splits but it does not mention how you split points. So how on earth would average joe who has never played with previous editions meant to know you can split a point into two and then one of them into two (as it is in Arm.) and so on. So if mongoose intended 2nd ed to use points splits as well as trade ups they did a useless job of writing the splitting down rules (by not actually writing them anywhere).

The summary cannot be counted as the rules because of the very fact it explains nothing.

What the heck is the point in all this anyway? Why couldn't you just allocate a points value to each ship (or failing that the priority level!).
e.g. Ancient(320)= 64
'Geddon(160)= 32
War(80)= 16
Battle(40)= 8
Raid(20)= 4
Skirm(10)= 2
Pat(5)= 1

No flow charts or weird force division, just very simple maths! :wink:

Cheers,

RayB

in regard to all this FAP thing.. you could just deside that "this is how i wanna do it" : )

i love this game, but you know out of everything this must get about the most posts for "god what do i do now". i can see that court j, is stating what is said in the book, no holding points back and splitting down as the rules dont state that now, even though its the same as the old system, but new comers wont know that agreed.
but come on, surely there has to be a simple system (or easy er) to use.
i think this constant messing about with this annoys everyone and sort of makes you think " have i got it right " even if you know or think you have.
lets all push for a complete pdf on the forum from mongoose or reputable source thats verified by mongoose, of a complete and final breakdown of every point. at least then all the worrying will be over and we can get on with enjoying the game.
what you think guys?

Seconded. It is all that messing around that supports those guys who would prefer a points system over FAPs; without that confusion people would have it easier to get into the PL system (and no, I don´t want to start that old discussion again - I have heard all arguments from both sides before, and personally decided I like the PL system better).

Apart from that, it would really help playing the game if we knew how to build a "legal" fleet... :roll:

Back