the Little bird

Why should the Little Bird go to the MEA instead of a US faction?

Because plenty of them have been sold to countries that, in the world of BFE, are in the MEA?

Come to think of it, you could always assume that Saudi Arabia, Kuwait or Egypt joins the MEA and then the MEA could use the Abrams :)

DM said:
Come to think of it, you could always assume that Saudi Arabia, Kuwait or Egypt joins the MEA and then the MEA could use the Abrams :)

Now, that's an intereesting thought:)

I've snagged one of these little birds from a Walmart in my area. I know I've seen others, but have just left them. :(

I'm not a playtester so I can't give VTOL specific info, but I'd venture a guess of the following core stats:
Size: 2
Speed: 32” (max speed: 282 kph; M1A1: 72 kph – VTOL is roughly 4 times as fast, but that lets it get almost anywhere on the board with a double move, so it may be a bit high.)
Target: 6+ to let it be the actual target of AA MGs
Armor: 4+
Kill: 8+
Close Combat: N/A

Weapons:
M134 Minigun 7.62 mm machine gun
Range: 30"
Damage: 4xD6
Special Rules:
May only fire in the forward arc. Damage counts double for suppression as standard MGs

Hydra 70 rocket launchers
Range: 40"
Damage D10
Special Rules:
May only fire in the forward arc. This weapon causes a –2 penalty to Armour rolls, and will roll extra Damage Dice (but only D6-1) against every model within 1” of the centre of the model its first Damage Dice is allocated to - these extra models need not be in Line of Sight. It may only be fired once per turn, and never as a reaction.

Special Rules:
Tough: Ignore the first failed armor check

Options:
Prior to deployment the unit may opt to exchange the Hydra rocket launchers for 2 Hellfire missiles
Range: 40"
Damage D10+3
Special Rules:
May only fire in the forward arc. You may only fire this weapon twice during a game due to limited ammo. This weapon causes a –4 penalty to Armour rolls, and will roll extra Damage Dice (but only D6 with no penalty to armor) against every model within 2” of the centre of the model its first Damage Dice is allocated to - these extra models need not be in Line of Sight. It may only be fired once per turn, and never as a reaction.

rvrratt said:
Whats the scale on those wally hummers and helicopters?

They're presented as 1:48 and measure out pretty well - between 1:48 and 1:50. The littlebird is a bit larger I think, thought it's tricky to get an exact height figure due to differences in the rotor assembly between types, but I make it 1:45-1:48.

rjandron said:
I'd say the MEA should be using Mi-24Hind-Fs (Mi-35s?), but then again, I've got a soft spot for the Hind.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/mi-24.htm

Used by:

Armenia, Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Belarus, Bulgaria, Cambodia, CIS, Cuba, Czech Republic, Ethiopia, Georgia, Germany, Hungary, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Mongolia, Mozambique, Nicaragua, North Korea, Peru, Poland, Slovakia, South Yemen, Syria, Ukraine, Vietnam.

Or, for a gunship:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/ka-50.htm

or

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/mi-28.htm

G.

Lorcan Nagle said:
Paladin - have you ever played SST? Air units have a different way of moving to ground units...
neg. or my stats probably would be different. ;) Care to enlighten me. :D

I assumed they'd have some rules for take off/landing for VTOLs. Fixed wing aircraft would be near impossible to keep on the board for more than 1 turn every XYZ turns. From the simplicity of the rules I have no idea if they have elevation ranks.

Local Wally World restocked. (3rd time) They had the one everyone really wants see below. The also have one of them with the Little bird and M998. Gonna try and head out Saturday and see how many more can find. May try and get some and do some demo on them to use as terrain.
Some folks wanted pictures of them from the store. (not bad for $9.82 - $10.51w/ tax)

Wal_1.jpg

Wal_2.jpg

My local Walmart only re-stocks about every four months, so it's really hit of mis for me- mostly miss. :cry:

Welcome, not sure about my Wally World shopping trip this weekend. I need some city terrain aka buildings. Gonna have to go on a quest or conserve money t buy on line. :)

Paladin said:
Lorcan Nagle said:
Paladin - have you ever played SST? Air units have a different way of moving to ground units...
neg. or my stats probably would be different. ;) Care to enlighten me. :D

I assumed they'd have some rules for take off/landing for VTOLs. Fixed wing aircraft would be near impossible to keep on the board for more than 1 turn every XYZ turns. From the simplicity of the rules I have no idea if they have elevation ranks.

Basically each aircraft has a selection of speed modes they can use, from V/STOL (nearly stationary) to Burn (full speed). Each speed mode has a minimum and maximum distance they have to travel, and a turn they can make at the end of each move action.

Air units act after all ground units have gone, and their first action has to be to move. They then can then choose to move again, shoot at a ground or air taget, enter close combat with an air target, and so on. Ground units can react to air units within 20", but only AAA weapons can return fire on a unit moving faster than V/STOL.

Lorcan Nagle said:
Basically each aircraft has a selection of speed modes they can use, from V/STOL (nearly stationary) to Burn (full speed). Each speed mode has a minimum and maximum distance they have to travel, and a turn they can make at the end of each move action.

And you can be sure that any air plane moving at burn speed is offboard after one turn for sure! Unless you are playing on football field of course :wink:

Loiter is speed you could use if you wanted to stay multiple turns on board. Cruise was justabout if you moved sideways. Burn and minimum movement alone took you through most of the board :lol:

Yeah. The aircraft rules were nice. Hopefully new ones are even better :D

I noticed something interesting about these figures... recently I bought a diecast 1/64 Corgi M1A2, and on the back of the box were pictures of the other figures in the line, which include a Little Bird. I also have the supposedly 1/48 Little Bird from Wal Mart... it has a little red Corgi graphic on the rear section... just like the Corgi company's symbol.
Just a coincidence, or am I missing something?
Dorb said:
Local Wally World restocked. (3rd time) They had the one everyone really wants see below. The also have one of them with the Little bird and M998. Gonna try and head out Saturday and see how many more can find. May try and get some and do some demo on them to use as terrain.
Some folks wanted pictures of them from the store. (not bad for $9.82 - $10.51w/ tax)

[

Screw this, if the this is set 10-15 years from now, the USMC will not still flying the Cobra. Give us a model of the COMANCHE RAH-66a2!!!

Back