Standing Together Tournament - Swindon, 8th March

Close, more to do with the main character rather than his carrier namesake.

And Sladkov?

And the title of the second novel in the series would be???

LBH

Quick question guys, I know I can take Mini's or counters to the tournie..... but do the mini's have to be painted?

A guy at my club is convinced they do whereas I don't think they do.

The reason I ask is that I want to take some ships that I have on order from Mongoose and that I may be able to pick up from Mongoose towers on Friday morning (if they are in stock) but it doesn't give me much time to paint them!

should not be a problem to use unpainted ships - people have used b/w photocopied counters so they will be an improvement! :) I would have no problem playing your ships as long as I know what they are..............

Do remember to bring a drill to make the holes for your stands!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Star-Lynx said:
read the tourney pack andy, it says you must use painted models.

Or counters, it does allow counters (thank goodness).

But yes, it does state minis must be painted. I personally wouldn't have too much of a problem with unpainted minis though the Mongoose bods may disallow it. If they allowed unpainted minis I'd have been fielding fleets of Avengers, Chronos, Tethys or Morshin, Torotha combos months ago :lol: (one piece minis, no turrets to add)

LBH

I just wouldn't bother going andy; you're only going to die horribly at the Mellors/Godfrey alliance of death by extreme prejudice!

Save yourself the trouble and you and shane can fetch tea for me and dean all day. :wink:

Hmm I'd rather play against unpainted models than photocopied counters..................its usually easier to see what you are facing :?

lastbesthope said:
Or counters, it does allow counters (thank goodness).

But yes, it does state minis must be painted. I personally wouldn't have too much of a problem with unpainted minis though the Mongoose bods may disallow it. If they allowed unpainted minis I'd have been fielding fleets of Avengers, Chronos, Tethys or Morshin, Torotha combos months ago :lol: (one piece minis, no turrets to add)

LBH

Playing against a counter fleet when you've gone to the effort and expense of acquiring models and preparing them for games is a bit of a let-down.

Well, I'll happily play anyone whether they use painted counters all the way down to photocopies, I fully appreciate not everyone has the time/money to make up a painted fleet (though LBH, seriously how many years has it been now and you still havent got 5 painted whitestars?.... :lol: )

In all honesty though its just more FUN when playing with proper painted fleets (and to be honest Id say counters actually DO look better than unpainted minis so would suggest you use them in place of your unpainted stuff for now (I'll probably be doing that for a couple of ships in my fleet this time round as its HIGHLY unlikely I'll have a couple of minis in time for Saturday if I ordered them now so I'll be picking them up on the day hopefully... (so I should at least have a fully painted force next time ;)).

If someone turns up to play with counters and as long as it is identifiable which ship is which, then I don't have a problem.

In fact if someone was turned away after travelling all the way to Swindon because they only had counters (even photocopies) then I would walk out on a matter of principle.

This game is for fun, if people forget that and start making it hard for people to play the game (remember, if you can still get miniatures; they aren't that cheap) then it's not a game worth playing!

If people are that anally retentive, then I suggest they look elsewhere and play something else.

Apologies for the rant, but it winds me up when it is suggested that people may be rejected because they can't afford the mini's!

Damn Shame!

As I said - I would not refuse to play anyone (and didn't!) - just would prefer models (unpainted or not) than counters - may just be my eyesight getting worse...............so I can see what i am fighting better :)

I suppose it is hyporcitical of me as I play with fighter counters rather than fighters ................ :oops:

Digger said:
If someone turns up to play with counters and as long as it is identifiable which ship is which, then I don't have a problem.

In fact if someone was turned away after travelling all the way to Swindon because they only had counters (even photocopies) then I would walk out on a matter of principle.

This game is for fun, if people forget that and start making it hard for people to play the game (remember, if you can still get miniatures; they aren't that cheap) then it's not a game worth playing!

If people are that anally retentive, then I suggest they look elsewhere and play something else.

Apologies for the rant, but it winds me up when it is suggested that people may be rejected because they can't afford the mini's!

Damn Shame!
Darn right, too, Digger!

I do agree in theory that people should be able to play with anything, even photocopies, if they are clearly labelled and it is totally clear what is what. But, if someone turned up with hundreds of photocopied Gaim fightes, I might accidentally sneeze a few times... ;)

I coughed once or twice and the Gaim Counters ... er I mean photocopys went everywhere....tho he did bugger off from the game several times ....

It's confirmed that I'll be working on saturday and won't be attending the doubles tournament as a consequence - fairly obviously.

Best of British luck to everyone that does go, and may the best man/woman/alien win... :)

ATTENTION COMMUTERS

I just went to check the train times for getting to Swindon on Saturday and the service seems to be less frequent than usual, if you're travelling by train I suggest your check the timetables.

Annoyingly the Network Rail website makes no mention of any works this Saturday, but there are some mentioned for Sunday.

So I'll be in the cafe as soon after 8 as I can manage, the train won't get in till 8 though.

LBH

Back