SM is out?

Recieved SM the other day (after a 2 week order). But when I recieved it I would say definately worth the wait. An excellent book to you guys that worked on it. I have to agree that the sector map was not the greatest but the original supplement 3 didn't have a map so its a step up. Plus I still have a map from Classic Deluxe Traveller so that works well.

Again, great job to everyone that worked on it. :D Have to say that Mongoose has not let me down with their version of Traveller!!

I got the SM book Tuesday night with the 760 Patrons book.

I REALLY liked the SM book!

It is SO MUCH MORE than the old LBB (which I also have).

The History section is worth the price alone! For anyone not familiar with the OTU, this book really gives you all you need to start. It also did a great job of hinting at so many of the old adventures (Kinunir, Twilight's Peak, Secret of the Ancients etc) that if you had that old adventure, you saw how to tie it back to the setting properly. It also gave you good info on several worlds in each subsector. The original LBB had something like 1 paragraph on each subsector and a map and UWPs, that was it. This gives you a lot more info on each subsector.

Also, it gives you the feel that this is a region that is changing and you just have a snapshot of what is going on. There are LOTS of plot hooks in each subsector (and plenty in other parts too) that fire the imagination.

GOOD JOB MJD!

I concur, I love this book. The history section is really giving me what I need to bring the universe to life.

I'm still having a hard time reading UWP though. They are much harder to read then UPP.

One weird thing with Traveller, there seems to be, other than deck plans, a general lack of maps. I have ordered the CT stuff and I'm really hoping for some in those adventures.

One book I would love to see would be a Standard Imperial Map Guide or some other sort of cool names book of maps for space stations, standard buildings, caves, cities, et cetera. Making the story and the characters isn't aan isssue but makeing maps is always the biggest pain in RPGs I never have time to create every map I need.

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
I got the SM book Tuesday night with the 760 Patrons book.
:mrgreen:
I REALLY liked the SM book!

It is SO MUCH MORE than the old LBB (which I also have).

The History section is worth the price alone! For anyone not familiar with the OTU, this book really gives you all you need to start. It also did a great job of hinting at so many of the old adventures (Kinunir, Twilight's Peak, Secret of the Ancients etc) that if you had that old adventure, you saw how to tie it back to the setting properly. It also gave you good info on several worlds in each subsector. The original LBB had something like 1 paragraph on each subsector and a map and UWPs, that was it. This gives you a lot more info on each subsector.

Also, it gives you the feel that this is a region that is changing and you just have a snapshot of what is going on. There are LOTS of plot hooks in each subsector (and plenty in other parts too) that fire the imagination.

GOOD JOB MJD!
It's nice to know that everything isn't ruined for ever :D

Look, I can't handle this. Will SOMEONE please start with the death threats and the decade of sniping? Please??

I'll start issuing all sorts of threats soon, if I can't get the PDF for my fix. Please, PLEASE.. when is it planned to release the PDF version for purchase?

MJD said:
Look, I can't handle this. Will SOMEONE please start with the death threats and the decade of sniping? Please??

Only if you pay me.

On second thought, I'd probably just use the money to see if I can bribe you into doing the Astroburgers supplement. So as long as that's being pushed, you wouldn't have to pay me.

:D

MJD said:

Having finally completed Spinward Marches, I have to say it is the WORST Traveller book I have EVER read. Perhaps the worst book EVER.

The history is shallow and self-contradictory. The writing style is childish and self-indulgent and there are more Canon errors than I can shake a stick at.

I would suggest the author be sacrificed to the Gods of RPGs, but that is too good for him. This hack should be paying Mongoose, rather than the other way around!

I am so disgusted with what I have read, that I am going to stop purchasing any further Traveller material and am seriously considering burning all my old stuff, including a First Printing LBB1-3 set, STILL IN THE ORIGINAL BOX. It is just that bad.

I will also be paying to get a domain name "MartinDoughertymustdie.com". PLEASE help support this important new website. (donations will be greatly appreciated!)

Good enough? Feel better? (Writers are such premadonnas)

(For those of you that are humor impared, this is a JOKE!)

MJD said:
Oh, alright then, if you insist:

"Made a hash of it, ruined Teh TOU 4eva, not really canon, blahblahblahblah whatever, gonna gitchoo sucka."

Will that do ya?

(can you tell my heart wasn't really in it? ;) :mrgreen:)

Oops. I just wanted to write something about excellent books and the
obviously beneficial influence of three cats ... :?

Well, in order to spare the author any more painful praise, I will dele-
te that part from my personal review and post only the remainder:

A book. 8)

Sorry MJD but the book was EXCELLENT! Just enough OTU to know whats going on but enough left out to let the ref's mind wander and make each campain unique.

The thing that I needed the most was the tech level of Regina. In original supplement 3 it was an A. In 5th frontier war it was also an A. But in Spinward Marches campain it was a C.

I know picky but I would figure that the subsector capital would have a higher tech than early stellar.

Again great product! But then I expect nothing less from the publishers of Conan.

MJD said:

fer christ sake, Martin, I posted about how you ruined traveller and everything over on the avenger boards .....what's it take ?

fridge said:
Any word on when Amazon are going to get their stock?

Good news Bad news...

Amazon just notified me that 760 Patrons just shipped... Not a blessed word about SM... nope ...nope... nope.

I would go to my LFGS except if it ain't 40K they don't stock it (and if you ask for it they go bug-eyed and start to drool... at that point I bid adieu)

(I may have to go further afield right into Vancouver I suppose...)

Ach weel..

Take care

E. Herdan

yep 760P on the way here as well.

They now say SM is in stock so shouldn't be long until it ships.

Both should arrive on my doorstep just after I fly off overseas. And I was looking forward to some reading material while I was away.

Back