Sharlin in an Asteroid field

What about:

score a hit with a e-mine -> +1
use a scout -> +1
get close >8´´ -> +1

+3 for stealth tests, and then use Ka´Tocs and Thentus to get rid of thes sharlin (or not? )

CU

Jybbah said:
score a hit with a e-mine -> +1
Okay, stealth is down to 6+.

Jybbah said:
use a scout -> +1
1 in 2 chance of working... even if it does it only puts stealth down to 5+.

Jybbah said:
get close >8´´ -> +1
You have to survive entering the asteroid field... you can either go in at max speed and rsk being blown up by the rocks, or go in slowly in which case it takes 3 turns (move up to the edge, creep in, close within 8").

Not saying it won't work, just it has a lot if complications... and all the time you're taking Neutron Laser fire.

Burger said:
Jybbah said:
use a scout -> +1
1 in 3 chance of working...

Eh? Lowering stealth is CQ 4 so for most ships thats gonna be 1 in 2 chance surely?

Still I agree its a bit harsh having to do ALL that to get the Sharlin. It not so much a problem with stealth but rather that I dont think asteroid fields need this massive +2 to stealth bouns....

Burger said:
You have to survive entering the asteroid field... you can either go in at max speed and rsk being blown up by the rocks, or go in slowly in which case it takes 3 turns (move up to the edge, creep in, close within 8").

Again as someone mentioned in the other stealth thread, how big an asteroid field do you use Burger?!?

Personally Id cosider it quite rare to ever field an asteroid field more that has any point of it with more than 8" to the edge in ALL directions. Ill admit that it COULD end up being more or less the situation you describe but not often! I still think the +2 stealth should be basically a +1 but ho hum....

Locutus9956 said:
Burger said:

Again as someone mentioned in the other stealth thread, how big an asteroid field do you use Burger?!?
It'd only have to be 8". Sharlin sits at the back.
Anyone trying to sneak round the side or back, again is taking Neutron Laser fire while doing so...

There is a recommended size for asteroid fields?

The random generation rules say to split the board into 12" x 12" squares and roll a dice for each one. That kind of implies that the field should take up the entire 12" x 12" square, to me. In actuality we use irregularly-shaped card templates, usually cut from A4, so they're approx 10" x 8".

I disagree there about it taking up the whole square, its just the position of the terrain roughly. Does a planet take up a whole 12x12 square? Of course not :p

There isnt any recomended size of asteroid field I've ever seen though. We tend to play with basically 'belts' of asteroids made by basically chucking a load of rocks on the table that tend to be about 4" wide and maybe 10" long but it varies :p

Locutus9956 said:
Does a planet take up a whole 12x12 square?
YES it does! Take an Earth-like World, that is 4-9" with a 6" gravity well. So the sphere of influence of the planet will be 6 + 4-9 + 6 = 16-21 inches diameter! Then add in the moons...

Lets not even mention gas giants which take up half the feckin board...

and what about a small planet? The point anyway is the actual TERRAIN itself doesnt take up the square. Just because it exerts influence over it isnt the same. An asteroid field can influence the entire board if its blocking your line of sight for example. The point is having a nice 12" 12" square asteroid field is a bit odd. That said having an asteroid field as dese as any 'sci fi' asteroid field is somewhat unlikely anyway :p

Locutus9956 said:
That said having an asteroid field as dese as any 'sci fi' asteroid field is somewhat unlikely anyway :p
Aww.. if you're going to bring up the real world then you're just not playing fair. (Laser are not efficient use of power for its combat effect compared to other potential tools).

Actually looking at the rules, it does say most asteroid fields would be 6 square inches. That is TINY! 3" x 2"... enough to hide 1 ship in maybe!

Sulfurdown said:
Locutus9956 said:
That said having an asteroid field as dese as any 'sci fi' asteroid field is somewhat unlikely anyway :p
Aww.. if you're going to bring up the real world then you're just not playing fair. (Laser are not efficient use of power for its combat effect compared to other potential tools).

I DID put a smiley on it ;) If were going to start picking apart where the game differs from real life we'll all wear our keyboards out :p

And yeah that is kind of small, but if thats the suggested field size I suppose I dont have as much of an issue with it being +2 stealth I guess.... (actually thinking about I DO recall that now from 1st ed which is why we tended to use long thin fields)

Locutus9956 said:
Sulfurdown said:
Locutus9956 said:

I DID put a smiley on it ;) If were going to start picking apart where the game differs from real life we'll all wear our keyboards out :p

And yeah that is kind of small, but if thats the suggested field size I suppose I dont have as much of an issue with it being +2 stealth I guess.... (actually thinking about I DO recall that now from 1st ed which is why we tended to use long thin fields)

nope, no need to wear a keyboard out. It's set 250 years in the future, we know nothing about how technology and matereals will advance, therefore every single thing in the show may well be possible apart from anyone else having Sinclairs wooden acting ability

Back