Sharlin in an Asteroid field

Locutus9956 said:
I blieve it says 'an area roughly equal to a 6" square' not 6 square inches....' doesnt it?

Mathematically, both phrases are identical.

Now, if they said 6 Squared inches square...

Six inches square to me would actually be 6 inches squared (ie 6 to the power 2 inches) which is 36 inches. Thats not a volume though mathematically, thats just a 36 inch line.

A SIX INCH SQUARE though is not a mathematical reference of volume its a square with a six inch side lenght.

However if the book says six square inches its pretty clear. And pretty stupidly tiny even if you do a 6 inch long 1 inch wide belt.

That's why I use pebbles and people can make pretty pictures with them as long as it's contained in the 12"x12" block and filling ~1/3>2/3 or connected to another block that has an asteroid field which would allow it to be contiguous. Designate the "interior" and if you pass between the outer edges of the pebbles you're now in the field. (not as clean as cut outs but it allows for more creativity.)

Greg Smith said:
6 inches square = 6" x 6" or 36 square inches.

6 square inches = 2" x 3" or some other multiple.

Umm, no. Not even in layman's terms.

6 inches square = 6 in^2 = 6 square inches

Now, if you were to say a "6 inch square" the whole definition of your phrase changes. Words (and suffixes) mean things. Usually very definite things. And throwing the wrong one in there at the wrong time can change the meaning of the entire phrase or sentence.

However, being eminently familiar with how poorly the English language is taught (both in school and in the home) these days, I would certainly ask for clarification if you said "6 inches square"...

...And there I go with a whole lecture again. I'm trying not to do that. I'm told it makes me seem arrogant.
So please assume that Most of my comments are meant and tossed off humourously. I make an awful lot of jokes with a particular brand of dry humour...

Taran said:
However, being eminently familiar with how poorly the English language is taught (both in school and in the home) these days...
edumaction.jpg

*Edit: No offense is meant to anybody - this was just the first thing that came to mind when Taran commented on the use of language. (Also - I'm betting that 1/4 to 1/2 the forum users are not using english as a primary language and being multilingual is cool, I'm almost monolingual!)

Taran said:
6 inches square = 6 in^2 = 6 square inches
Umm no.

6 inches square is the area of a square with sides 6" each. ie: (6 in)^2
6 square inches is a measurement of area. ie: 6 (in^2)

No further clarification is required. Its a straightforward definition.

Taran said:
However, being eminently familiar with how poorly the English language is taught (both in school and in the home) these days, I would certainly ask for clarification if you said "6 inches square"...

...And there I go with a whole lecture again. I'm trying not to do that. I'm told it makes me seem arrogant.

You are told correctly Im afraid. Frankly the above statement comes across as INCREDIBLY arrogant and furthermore you are wrong. Burger is 100% correct in his previous post.

Six Inches Squared = (6 Inches)^2

Six Square Inches is a measurement of area.

I'm not even going to comment on the audacity of an american lecturing about the use of the english language given how badly it is butchered on a daily basis 'over there'....

EDIT: Dont take this too personally please, it has been a trying day to say the least and that post just irritated me...

"area" you mean? Hard to calculate Volume in 2 dimensions...

Anyway, yeah. Like I said, I'm trying hard not to do that, but my buttons got pushed and I let that one through.

Alright Burger, I'm going to go back and double check, but I seriously doubt I am wrong (unless I'm being stupid with the suffixes. I noticed the "-ed" you tossed in there...)

I don't doubt that you are wrong either. I have absolutely no doubt that you are totally wrong! The -ed makes no difference.

6 square inches = 6 squared inches = 6 (in^2)
6 inches square = 6 inches squared = (6 in)^2 = 36 (in^2)

hmmm, my math-major wife agrees with me, but I haven't checked my textbooks yet. That has to wait till I get home this evening. I'm emailing a math professor at PSU with the same question.
Gah, I just realized that I am not going to let this go until I get the definitive answer with sources...

talking to more americans about english language, not good for examples.
yet again i am in agreement with burger.

Locutus9956 said:
I blieve it says 'an area roughly equal to a 6" square' not 6 square inches....' doesnt it?

An asteroid field may be of any size (indeed, you might like to try your skill at fi ghting a battle within an asteroid fi eld
that covers the entire table!) but most will take up an area of six square inches.

I'll go with the "may be of any size" line... we usually place an amorphous blob of pumice stonres down on the table, the borders of which are either defined by a length of brown string or yarn of we just say that it is a line drawn between the outside rocks. Oh, and for an earlier poster, it is Antioch. ;)
Regards,

katadder said:
talking to more americans about english language, not good for examples.
yet again i am in agreement with burger.

:lol:

Usually, I would agree wholeheartedly.
However, seeing as this is a Mathematics Grammar (rather than just plain grammar) question, a mathematician seems to be the best bet. So I'm asking the one I know.

And if my wife had agreed with Burger, I would have admitted defeat and let it go. As it is, though...

Burger said:
Locutus9956 said:
Six Square Inches is a measurement of volume.
You mean area... Six cubic inches would be volume!
Unless you're using ACTA's pseudo-3D system :lol:

Please don't go into 3D i've done it before and then all the system gets completely wrecked as arcs and vectors and speed time acceleration come into it. Then the maths really becomes fun took me 1/2 an hour to move all my ships for one turn, i only had four.
But to make the maths really fun add a couple of gas clouds a few asteroid field a planet and properlly work out each of there gravity well theoritcal density's that decrease the range or increase the range and spead of weapons, ships.
Making the maths insanely hard add a sun thats a distance far enough away to not damage the ships but close enough to effect them and then see where that leaves you.

But remember for each action theres an equal and opposite reaction, for me that was a lighter and the rules i had added.

Actually, sulfurdown, that's part what I've been trying to say.

The other part is that adding the suffix "-es" to "inch" changes the first to the latter...

But there is some dispute, so I'm asking the math experts...

Back