Sentient Rabbits Tournament: August 16th

You're in :)

We now have 16 players with 5 places left. I have sent PMs to attendees to confirm bookings, please respond to these to confirm your place.

We have pretty even representation of races: 5 Vorlon, 5 Shadow, 6 AoL so I would ask that anyone else signing up play Vorlons or Shadows, unless we get at least 3 more people, in which case we can have another AoL player.

As a reminder, here is the tourney pack... please familiarize yourselves with the scenario :)

Just checking, since all three games are 5 point raid do you have to use the same fleet list for each of the games or can you change what ships you are using around in between games?

Same fleet selection for each game. And no you don't retain damage/destruction from one game to the next! ;)

Hi just to let you know I now have a account here Rob Soutar cant wait to try out my vree :twisted:

Just a few days to go now! Still 5 places left for any last-minute signups.

I have got confirmations from pretty much everyone, so we should be good to go! :)

Looking forward to it! 8)

Haven't got as much painting done as I would've liked though (I won't be bringing any backup fleets after all, sorry).

I knowe it is late but can i register to play in tommorrows tournament.

I don't mind playing shadows or vorlons but i do not have many ships
thank you Chris

Having heard some early news from this - good news for "Greg's Crew" 8) - really looking forward to the traditional battle reps: :D

Indeed, Greg's crew did well, and Greg himself won with Kenny being robbed (but not by 20 points)...

image3kw9.gif

Shadows won overall, with the top 3 players each fielding 5 Shadow Scouts...

image4an0.gif

Unfortunately some dude calling himself "Lorien" turned up, and some upstart race told them to get the hell out of his galaxy. Ho hum!

My fleet: 5 Shadow Scouts

My first game was mikelosaurus (I think) and Tank. I was attacking Tank's Vorlons, while the Minbari came for me. The Minbari had 2 Tigaras, 2 Ashintas, and a Leshath, while the Leshath enabled them to see me several times, the Minbari didn't have the beams to do me damage and I kept out of range of his big guns for most of the game, while I annihilated Tanks's Vorlons.

Second game was Adam's Army of Light - Vree patrol boats, Drazi Solarhawks, Brakiri Haltonas and a Whitestar, and TGT's Vorlon cruiser. I moved my fleet in dread of the Quad damage beam, and Adam quite quickly did serious damage to the Vorlons, leaving me chasing a fleeing fleet. On the last turn a Haltona pinned a Shadow scout just in time to save a Vree saucer from destruction. I still managed a reasonable amount of damage to the AoL.

Third game was Rob's Vree and Dan's Vorlons. I kept away from the two Vorlon destoyers' beams, while the Vree quite quickly destroyed one Vorlon ship. The Vorlon fighters fell as interceptors and in an explosion. Once I was freed from the threat of Vorlon attack, I could kill the Vree in short order, but one Vree ship fleed through a jump point. In fact, much to the suprise of the Vorlon player, his second destroyer survived.
I quickly manuevered my Shadow scouts behind the Vorlon ship, so he couldn't get at me and we called it quits.

I had a thoroughly good day, playing an unusual scenario with a fleet I don't normally use. It was seemlessly run by Burger. And I a blast playing Tank and TGT.

It was only a shame Digger wasn't there, because we brought him a student to play with ... er, I mean against. :twisted:

My fleet = 5 Shadow Scouts

1st game - I was after Neil's (TGT) Vorlons, he was after Rob's Vree, who was - obviously - after me!
First turn saw me speed as far away from the Vree as possible, forcing Rob to fly right across Neil's front arc if he wanted to follow... which he did and the only shooting of the turn was the Vorlon QUAD damage beam reach out and bisect one of Rob's saucers, the resulting explosion damaging the two Vaarls that were nearby.
Turn two started as virtually all the turns in this game, Shadows win initiative followed by the Vorlons and then the poor old Vree having to shoot last! I dog-legged my fleet to Neil's flank and started to peck away at the Cruiser, the Vree continued to narrow the gap between us and Neil just chugged forward and picked the Cruisers next target... a second Xill went the same way as the first, and Neil was heard to quote Admiral Ackbar... "We can't stand up to THAT kind of fire-power!!!" :shock:
I felt pretty bad for Rob, (of course, I'd have felt worse if he wasn't trying to kill my ships) but I was getting some measure of revenge for him by continuing to chip away at the cruiser.
The remainder of the game followed a pretty similar vein, the Vorlon Cruiser destroyed everything in it's path, and what it left, the Transport had a pop at! I could now move with impunity to strike at the Vorlon ships flanks, and they too followed the Vree into the afterlife, but there was not enough time to hunt down the fighters, 2 of which had been killed by straying a little too close to the Scouts Accurate guns, but the remaining four denied me a Annihilation bonus :(
My VP's = 37, Neil had 55, poor Rob was yet to score :cry:

2nd Game was me trying to kill Simon's (Chandler) Minbari, whilst Dan was chasing me with his Vorlons.
Similar to the first game, I had 4 of my ships in 2x2 squadrons and one solitary scout for roaming around... Once more, I sped towards the other side of the board, but this time, my target was dead ahead of me.
Dan had his two destroyers in an uber beam squadron, and he too had fighters to make up the remainder of his fleet (12 to Neil's 6).
Simon's lack of experience showed in the opening turns, with the newbie of "Greg's Crew" making a couple of tactical errors. I was torn between wanting to help, but I didn't know if Dan would see this as a bit off... however, we both started to point out to Simon what he could do better and so it all evened out in the end :D
The three fleets were all pretty close together at this point, and things started to get blown up. My shooting saw one of Simon's Teshlans disappear, but then one of my scouts went bye bye when spotted by Dan's two Destroyers... as it was, he only needed the one to kill off the scout, but had wisely chosen to fire both at it, just in case!
Dan's fighters were a bit of a nuisance to one of my scouts, but the combination of Dodge and Shields meant that only a point or two got through to the ship itself.
A lucky crit saw one of Dan's destroyers get its Adaptive Armour taken away, so Simon knew that he had a real opportunity to deal out some damage... it was in the next turn that he started to use his Tinashi to good effect - and if anyone's played against Neil and his Tinashi team, they'll know just what a great Battle ship it is - and Dan lost his Destroyer. I crippled the Tinashi and his Leshath, and destroyed his 2nd Teshlan, leaving me with a pretty routine mop up the next turn... which never came!!! Burger called time, and the lucky boneheads escaped annihilation :x
35 VP's for me (due to points for the crippled ships) 24 for Simon (he did shoot at a few fighters, but nowhere near enough to pick up lots of VP's for them) and 10 for Dan (the only 'against' points for me the entire day)

Last game was me killing Adam's Army of Light, him killing Tank's Vorlons and Tank TRYING to kill my Shadows :wink:
Same routine as before, speed down the side of the table, making sure to avoid Tank's front arc, he had his Light Cruiser squadroned with his two Transports in a "one move, one shot" super team (well, that was the theory anyway). Adam focused as much firepower as he could on the Cruiser, but Tanks first beam roll turned out to be his best of the game, and he obliterated one of the Drazi Solarhawks that had boresighted him.
That was, prety much, the best thing that went for Tank, and he, mostly, found himself without a Shadow target for the remainder of the game... even when he did manage to damage and pin one of the scouts, Adam knocked out a 1-6 crit and left him Adrift, plus a 4-4 crit meaning he'd need a 4+ to fire :shock:
Needless to say, Tank failed both of these rolls, even after he tried them three or four times :lol:
So, no losses for me, Adam was losing at least a ship a turn, and his last ship - the respawned Solarhawk - decided enough was enough and sped off the board... AGAIN, no annihilation bonus for the poor Shadows :roll:
I picked up 48 points for that game, but in the end, it was not enough to catch up with Greg's tally.
Another excellent day with the bunnies, well done Mark for putting it all together :D
Promise we'll stay for a beer next time... 8)

Unfortunately, the fact that I was attending the tournament had sort of slipped my mind somewhere in the middle of Friday night, and I forgot to stop drinking until about 5am on Saturday morning. Managed to get to bed by 6, and got a call from Tank and Ad at about 8:30.

After crawling out of bed still completely drunk (Absinthe can do that to you upon occasion) and with absolutely no sense of balance at all, I pulled on my clothes and manged to stumble downstairs in time for Ad to pick me up (without falling sdown them even once, which I remember being absurdly proud of).

After stopping in the local cafe for an excellent bacon and egg sandwich, I made my way to The Games Shop where I found out that I was to be playing as the Shadows (never tried using them before) and opted for 5 scouts.

I was hunting Vorlons in the first game, while being persued by the bug men with their stealth ignoring ramming fighters and e-mines. Charged at the Vorlons with abandon and killed a transport and destroyer, while I managed to avoid getting any of my ships destroyed (Shadow Scouts are as tough as cockroaches).

Afer a trip over to KFC for a swift lunch I felt slightly more hung over, but slightly less drunk. I was hunting Vree in the second round, while being persued by Tank's Vorlons. I actually lost a scout somewhere in this game (most careless of me) and destroyed about half of the Vree, who in turn slaughtered the Vorlons before running away.

In the last game, I was to be slaughtering Minbari for a change, which for once I was looking forward to (5 scouts and the +1 bonus from being Shadows is awesome against the boneheads) while being attacked by TGT's Vorlons. Lost another Scout in there somewhere, while managing to kill lots of Minbos (which I always find particularly satisfying).

I had a great time, despite fatigue, being drunk half of the day and having a pounding headache the rest of the time. I would go into more detail about the games, but to be honest I was too drunk or hungover to recall many details. Did mange to finish 3rd somehow, though :)

Have to say I find it very funny that Jim
A great guy! Drunk by his own admission at the start of the Tourney
with a hangover during...managed to come third with a new fleet completely unlike any he plays with...then I realise its 5 shadow scouts!
have to say only fleet i could face off and hope to do well against shadows or vorlons would be a sharoos and a leseth scout...but had signed up as a free agent so my crown...but not my latex minbo head piece has now gone up north to Greg!
next time Greg (grrr) Next time...just don't bring the Wookie...(Kenny Boy)

Thing with Wookies they tend to rip arms off when they are loosing....is that why Kenny Boy came second? The thought of rippage scared some players? :D

Just asking, seeing how Schadows won in such quantitiy, even with players that were hopelessly hung over ---

Shadow Scout a bit much, perhaps, and needs some Stealth reduction or something?

CZuschlag said:
Shadow Scout a bit much, perhaps, and needs some Stealth reduction or something?

That struck me too. The fact that they dominated 15 games in one day surely means there's something up with that...?

I think the scenario benefitted the Shadows.

The Shadow scouts were able to out manuever the opponent who was trying to kill then and concentrate on the opponent they were trying to kill, who was firing at the other opponent. This meant the Shadow scouts were able to shoot without being shot back.

For example, in my third game, once I had avoided the Vorlons' beams and the Vree player had killed most of the Vorlon fighters, I could get in close to the Vree, who only fired at me when he had weapons that were not in range of the Vorlons.

Back