Runequest House rules

toddd240

Mongoose
Hey everyone. I am looking forward to the new Runequest rpg just as much as anyone else. In the meantime I have put together a new runequest site and I am looking for input on house rules for systems RQ2 and RQ3. When the new RuneQuest comes out I want to do a comparison of old rules and house rules to the new system.

Anyone remember their old house rules?

Turloigh

Mongoose
toddd240 said:
Anyone remember their old house rules?

Sure.

Problem is, there's just too many. There's almost no part of the RQ3 rules I wouldn't want to rewrite in some form or another.

So: Do you want them mailed to you? Do you expect us to post them here? Do you want to specify your question?

Turloigh

Mongoose
Oh dear. OK, here you go.

I'll give you a rough overview - not everything we ever tried, only what I ended up with. In my old days, I've come to simplify a lot of things. I stole a lot from the Elric/Stormbringer system (and the unfinished RQ4 draft floating around the net).

Characteristics: Roll 2D6+6 seven times and assign scores to stats as you see fit. (Only works for all-human parties, of course.)

Occupations: Reworked in Elric/SB-style. Each occupation has a list of 10-12 skills and you distribute 250 points among them (more for a higher-powered game).

Skills: Shortened skill list which looks more like the one from Elric/SB. No skill category bonuses.

System: No Fatigue Points (If really needed, I use Fatigue rolls and fatigue levels as in RQ4). All stats except SIZ can be trained to 21 (again, for humans only).

Combat: No separate Attack/Parry skills. No Strike Ranks, straight DEX order instead. Hit Points can go below 0, but you automatically lose 1 hp/rd to bleeding. You die if your negative hp equal your CON.

Magic: Depends a lot on the setting. In my Hyborian campaign, spells aren't simply available to anyone. Cult membership is required for spirit/divine magic; apprenticeship (and minimum INT 16) is required for sorcery. Resistance rolls are POW vs POW (not MP vs MP). Demons (and a few spells) added from Elric/Stormbringer.

That's it in a nutshell. Nothing spectacular, I'm sure lots of groups do similar things. Does that help?

Halfbat

Mongoose
Tend to be pretty straight. I'll have to look mine up, but ones I do use...

Characteristics: 4d6 best 3 for the 3d6 stats (often allowing a minimum 10) and 3d6-convert-one-to-a-six for the 2d6+6 stats (humans).

Magic: No sorcery, limited shamen (shamans?) but either home-brew magic system OR Battle/Spirit magic & Cult magic... use Turloigh's current POW vs POW for magic resistance (not MP) and also, now it's been pointed out, tended to limit spells very much to cult membership

Non-Magic or Low-Magic: Raise hit location damage by several points, enhance the Herb Lore, Craft(Medicines/salve) and First Aid skills, and add in other longer-term skills (nursing care) to cope with the damage.

Other's tend to be rulings for very specific circumstances....

eyelessgame

Mongoose
I rewrote how healing and damage work (reasons to have Heal other than 2 or 6); I rewrote how skill checks/training/study were done; I modified stats for a lot of critters; I experimented with a number of action-point systems for multiple attacks and movement orders. I fiddled with prices for everything. I was never quite satisfied with any of the results, since I have problems with certain fundamental assumptions of the system. Still, some of the most memorable campaigns I ever ran were Gloranthan RQ, and I look forward to the new edition; will probably run something in 2007.

Turloigh

Mongoose
eyelessgame said:
I rewrote how healing and damage work (reasons to have Heal other than 2 or 6) ...
Details? Healing was painfully slow, I agree.

eyelessgame said:
... I rewrote how skill checks/training/study were done ...
Really? I thought those were among the best parts of RQ3. Too detailed may be, I streamlined the training/study rules a bit, but nothing substantial. What did you do?

eyelessgame said:
... I have problems with certain fundamental assumptions of the system. ...
Care to explain? I'm curious.