Ship vs vehicle cost

Why does "Not being a round number" make it a mess? None of the numbers in spaceship construction are round. They are full of decimal points and numbers following decimal points. Just avoid expressing anything in fractions. It makes the math harder.
Because ideally, you want 'baselines' that aren't fractions/decimals. People can then choose to use smaller version if desired, but that becomes a choice, rather than something thrust upon them. In that particular example, I'd be happy to say 5 spaces generates 3 power, and vehicles are just slightly more inefficient than ships.

Need a larger selection of seating.

The problem with space(s), is, that they could be configured differently.
I'm not sure what you mean. The idea is to have comfortable seating take 1 space, as per current rules.

I'm also not sure why different configuration is relevant. It's still supposed to be an overarching idea to build useable vehicles, and you can handwave that type of detail to make it look like your vision.

Now you have to go and change the Robot Handbook to match what you just created.
i fully admit to.. not using Robots much, and not owning the Robot Handbook. That will be for someone else to resolve!

Give me my sophonts to do everything! Down with drones!

Why does "Not being a round number" make it a mess? None of the numbers in spaceship construction are round. They are full of decimal points and numbers following decimal points. Just avoid expressing anything in fractions. It makes the math harder.
4/7th of the time, I would agree... Now, even though I put formulas with powers of four and even, if I recall, some logarithms in the World Builders Handbook, Traveller is supposed to be a Table Top RPG, and so having a paper design sheet with the ability to do math on paper should be a goal for most design systems (says the guy using an electronic calculator 40+ years ago to make Striker vehicles - when the adjective 'electronic was still necessary - so take that for what's it's worth).

Fairly round numbers and no more than two digits of detail is at least a good starting point.

I'm not sure what you mean. The idea is to have comfortable seating take 1 space, as per current rules.

I'm also not sure why different configuration is relevant. It's still supposed to be an overarching idea to build useable vehicles, and you can handwave that type of detail to make it look like your vision.
Something that could be done using existing ideas and terms would be to label the different kinds of seating, Low (economy), Standard, High (first class-size or half again as large as the standard), and Luxury (enough space for an Aslan to curl up on the seat, say double the size of a Standard Seat. Just My two cents.

Although, My Aslan comment made Me wonder what We do for races of different sizes. Droyne seats or seats made for humans or Aslan in Battle Dress. They count as one size larger than normal. Geir! If your listening, maybe something for the Vehicle Handbook. Everything in every book thus far is geared only to human-sized sophonts. Droyne being smaller would mean that their seats would be smaller as well. Same with their airlocks, and other accomodations. I would guess that a Droyne ground car will be smaller than an otherwise identical human ground car.

Need a larger selection of seating.

The problem with space(s), is, that they could be configured differently.
Yes.
They have to have a game implication, though. But as someone who has crossed the Atlantic in the middle seat in the back of an Icelandic Air 757, I can attest that there are morale implications to long duration tight seating. And back sweat implications. Not pretty. Of course that's for civilians: if military operatives are used to be sandwiched into tight quarters, the duration before they start getting DMs for, um, back sweat, leg cramps, and other comfort factors would be longer.

4/7th of the time, I would agree... Now, even though I put formulas with powers of four and even, if I recall, some logarithms in the World Builders Handbook, Traveller is supposed to be a Table Top RPG, and so having a paper design sheet with the ability to do math on paper should be a goal for most design systems (says the guy using an electronic calculator 40+ years ago to make Striker vehicles - when the adjective 'electronic was still necessary - so take that for what's it's worth).

Fairly round numbers and no more than two digits of detail is at least a good starting point.
Trying to do World Builder's Handbook calcualtions with a spreadsheet is killing me. If you ever go crazy with the math again, could you create a spreadsheet that allows us to plug in data and get the stuff figured out?

Or, hope of hopes, do that for the world generation part of the WBH even. Please.

Last edited:
One experience with Air Canada was enough.

Anyway, in theory, inertial compensation eliminates the need to worry about backrests.

However, terrestrially, there are all sorts of ways to squeeze in capacity for conscious bodies, with or without modifying for performance, improved or degraded.

Short term or thrombotic.

Back