Ragged Edge PC Choices

Talinfein

Mongoose
Hi everbody.

I am about to start GMing Cold Equations/Ragged Edge and have a few questions for those of you who have played it (I searched the forum but couldn´t find the answers I was looking for).

My main concern is what kind of characters to allow my players to play. The way I see it, the campaign doesn´t leave too many options. I could see Narn being a problem especially when the war breaks out. I also don´t see a human telepath as too good a choice (no matter if he´s a rogue or Psi Corps). Finally, Officers seem to be out of the question as well. Then again, a completely non-human group would feel a bit strange to me since they would be working for humans.

So, what are your experiences? Are there problematic choices? One of my players wants to play a Centauri noble, another one a Centauri telepath or a Human soldier and a third one would probably love to be the right hand of Bester. There will probably be 4 players in the final group. What should I tell them? I would like to give them as much choice as possible but don´t want to have to rewrite the whole campaign for them.

Your thoughts?

That game does rule out some choices. Centauri nobles, Centauri in general actually, would work really well. There's a lot of Centauri politics in the background of this scenario, after all.

Just because it says "officer" doesn't mean that the class has to be in active service. An officer might be on leave, might be undercover, or might just be a skilled leader without specific military ties. Just like a Diplomat doesn't have to be a literal diplomat, just someone with good social skills.

Bester's right hand would be tricky. First off, you'd have to somehow justify a starting level character who has connections that go all the way to the top. Maybe that's the PC's goal, but it shouldn't be how things start out. Give them something to work towards. Telepaths aren't too huge a problem in Ragged Edge. It's tricky, but, given the Walking Stone, actually really beneficial to have a PC telepath.

Also bear in mind that Psi Corp has absolutely no problems screwing with its own. Look at Talia, after all. A PC psi corp teep is even MORE likely to be screwed with than the regular PCs, and that might make for an interesting revelation when they realize just what happened to them.

Ragged Edge has more options than you think it does at first blush, but it is still tricky. Just make sure the PCs know in advance that they need to make characters who have no problem being hired by a human company, and it should work out.

Just make sure the PCs know in advance that they need to make characters who have no problem being hired by a human company, and it should work out.

This was basically what I told my players as well, and so far it has worked out just fine.That being said, I am only barely into the second scenario.

My group:
An English lord, formerly officer of the Kings Royal Guard outside Buckingham palace (human officer, groundforces): the Talker
Another English nobleman, albeit barely noble at all, formerly officer of the EF fleet (human officer, fleet): the Computer-wiz
A former Narn slave of the Centauri (for a very short while, anyway) (Narn soldier): the Grunt
A low-class P12 Centauri teep on the run from the local houses of his home planet, under an assumed name I don't even know his real name yet, the player is a little paranoid :twisted: . (Centauri telepath): the Telepath on the Run

Of these obviously the biggest problem is the Centauri and the Narn, but they have invulentarily been stuck together for a while before play, on the run from specific Centauri minor houses. The players play them sort of like a typical dwarf/elf relationship. They tolerate each other and work well together, but keep insulting other members of their counterparts race. Let's just see what will happen when we get to the War...

Also, we've already felt that being an officer outside the military is a little strange, but doable. On that note, our human ground-officer has turned to diplomacy as of late, and will be taking levels in Diplomat to reflect this, which we all think will balance the group more evenly in skills, and fits nicely with the groundofficer characters ambitions to join the House of Lords when he retires. :D

Well, thanks for the replies.

That thing about Bester´s right hand was a joke. The player likes to play shady/grey characters leaning towards evil, wo he would really like to go for this, but I wouldn´t be comfortable with it unless there is an arc in it where the character realizes the error of his ways.

I agree that Centauri would be a good choice, but somehow I don´t think that a whole group of Centauri would be working for a human corporations. Too much of a coincidence for me.

As for human telepaths, I have the following problem (SPOILERS for Cold Equations!!!): if the player plays a Blip he would not have been let go by Psi Corps (there would have been anough other people on board the Robinson). If the player is Psi Corps, he would be forced to turn in Twitch, even though that character is vital to the story. The point is, I want the players to play their characters as they see fit instead of not asking them to do such-and-such for the plot´s sake.

But, again, thanks for your insights.

If the player is Psi Corps, he would be forced to turn in Twitch

Only if they are of the heartless/loyalist Psi Corps. Remeber people like Lyta existed in Psi Corps...so someone might decide to let him go on his way. But your point is valid for the stereotypical Psi Corps member.

-Bry

Spoilers for Cold Equations still:

Actually, I'd take it a step further: there are people like Talia in Psi Corp, as well. She was Corp loyal to the core...until she actually talked to some blips. Then she took her gloves off, tricked Bester, etc. This might be a perfect chance to sow some doubt. Make it clear that Twitch's fate is in your PC teep's hands, but make sure he gets a very clear idea of just how badly Psi Corp had been abusing him. And if they turn him in, the only major problem would be finding Gray's hideout, and that can be located through normal footwork, through questioning witnesses, circulating a description of the woman, etc. It'd be harder on the PCs but doable.

Shadow Queen said:
Shadow Queen said:
I have 1 Narn Officer

2 Minbari Rangers

1 Centari Diplomat

I wish I had one or two more people

Dont let any one have a Fan head or a narn

How pessimistic, SQ. Are you russian by any chance? :p

My own centauri and narn are still behaving, but the War hasn't started yet... I am actually hoping that their relationship will be one of the "Big Stories" of the campaign, like G'Kar's and Londo's are in the series.

What was it Sheridans father said? Nothing worthwile comes easy, or something to that effect. Yeah, I am looking forward to the struggles ahead. :)

Sounds like the player, not the narn. AS a rule, in the games with my circle of RPGers, we do not let people under the influence into games.

if the player plays a Blip he would not have been let go by Psi Corps (there would have been anough other people on board the Robinson).
true...
...unless...
...the Psi Corps had something more divious in mind.

After all it has been mentioned that there are people like Talia... or people like Mr. Garibalid. What do they have in common? Both kinda got their minds changed by the Psi Corps...

If you have a blip playing TCE, let him, and assume an implanet personality working for the Psi Corps as spy from now on - everything your group does will be reported.
And it's up to you as the GM when they discover the problem, and how much troubles they will have to go through to fix it...
(And if you feel nice, assume it wasn't a psi cop who did the implant, but a P-10 "subcontractor", so you won't need Lyta to remove the thing. BtW, you can also assume that a certain narn "rock" might severely mess up the implanted personality if you want that - those who know "TRE" may realize the implications...)

ShadowScout said:
BtW, you can also assume that a certain narn "rock" might severely mess up the implanted personality if you want that - those who know "TRE" may realize the implications...)

:twisted: Oh, I am so looking forward to the day they find that "rock"...I haven't decided how many of my players have been severally affected by the Corp yet, but at least one of them is fully reprogrammed, like Garibaldi. Also, I played the intro to chapter 2 of TRE in costume with a badge and gloves and all, and it really freaks the players out that they STILL haven't seen anything of the Corp in game. :twisted:

Mage said:
Sounds like the player, not the narn. AS a rule, in the games with my circle of RPGers, we do not let people under the influence into games.

Hear hear! Though I know it sometimes can be a little tricky to tell a normally good friend and long time gamer to take a walk and not come back 'till she/he's sobered up. I am just glad that this hasn't been such a big issue with my gang. Well, not often, at least. Anyway, you have my sincere sympathies SQ.

Though I know it sometimes can be a little tricky to tell a normally good friend and long time gamer to take a walk and not come back 'till she/he's sobered up.

Actually, if this occurs at my game table I normally just cancel the session and explain that I don't feel comfortable running for anyone who has been drinking. Take the blame, if it is easier for you, but don't let your game suffer because somebody went on a bender before sitting down to roll some dice.

-Bry

How so? Someone previously mentioned that the Psy Corps was not above keeping secretes from their own Teeps.

Why would a human teep not fit in.

IF the telepath were of commercial level then they surely would be out of the loop. They could simply be on an assignment ordered by a big Earth Corporation and merely traveling to a distant locaction to assist in "Negotiations".

If the telepath were of a high level but short on psy cop they just might be looking for human rogue telepaths in the far flung regions--what a better place for a human rogue telepath to hide out but in the boonies. IF you were a rogue telepath would you hide near a major Psy Corps HQ in a civilized part of the universe or would you seek out a small knook and cranny in some far flung part of the universe. As a rogue hound they would have no knoledge of innermost political social secrets. You would just be a bloodhound doing your duty.

AND IF you were a psy cop that does not mean that the Psy Corps would inform you of every detail of the innermost workings. While they may tell you some things surely they would not tell you everything--need to know and all that stuff.

AND TOO dont forget that teeps of sufficient level have 'Spider Sense' so to speak when it comes to physical threats. So a teep of high power could at least sense danger and warn the group. Now the telepath may not know where the danger is still IF the group aka mundanes sees the telepath draw weapon all of a sudden its a pretty good guess that they should consider doing so as well.

So a telepath should fit into any case given the a proper background with no difficulty.

R Arceneaux

Just a word from my game... I've had a few players pull out recently (at least I believe so, as I have not heard from them in months)..

So my new line up as of War of the Queens (Scenario 4) is this.

Narn Agent / Scientiest
Minbari Ranger
Centauri Telepath / Diplomat
Minbari Telepath / Trader
Human Psi Corps Telepath / Soldier / Officer

Now none of the telepaths know the others are telepathic, and are operating outside the law as fair as they know. So they are trying to keep their abilities secret from the rest of the group.

I have one player who is unable to keep player information out of the game so is constantly told, your character does not know this... but thinks it is funny to constantly joke about the unknown abilities of other player characters as part of his over plan for going ahead...

So not all gaming groups are smooth sailng, you can get one or two players who don't play nicely with others and deserve to have NPC's put out a death contract on them.

Now while they have difficulties, they are able to slowly progress the story, but letting them do things they want to do is part of the game experience...

Just let the storyline continue without them, it's their choice not to participate, and if very little of interest happens to them, then they will have to live with it, especially if they miss out on important opportunities, or become hunted for not being able to keep a secret. Or even better, ignored by the characters from the show they want to interact with...

Now the further they go from the written adventure, the more you have to write up / make up but that can be rewarding in itself and can be the one game you remember the most...

RE 007

Is your post above a solicitation of players and if so will you accept a Psy Corps Liason to the military posing as an officer in the military?

IF so I will Email you my character sheet--I have one already built.

R Arceneaux

My post is what characters I have currently, after a few have pulled out for various not wanting to RPG reasons...

Previous characters were (before any telepaths)

Human Diplomat
Centauri Diplomat
Narn Officer

But if you'd like to join (and are in the Canberra region) you'd be welcomed along.

A Psi Corps military Liason would be okay, but the party currently distruts the Psi Corps and the only way the human Psi is in the party is that he is hiding his abilities at present... The Ragged Edge campaign can be harsh on telepaths with the main employer unwilling to hire or have the group hire a telepath...

Back