Using Flatlined and Death Station to kick off a game for new Traveller group

fenriswolfe

Mongoose
I have been "volunteered" to run Mongoose Traveller for my group of fantasy RPG players. I haven't played or ran Traveller in 15 years so I wanted to stick with pre-published adventures to limit some of the GM prep. We are also doing character generation together as Session Zero. The game style I would like to stick with is a Firefly type game. Episodic in nature and a crew trying to get by as they fly the space lanes.

After reading a bunch of reviews and posts about good starting adventures, I think I would like to kick off the game with the opening scene from the Flatlined adventure. The smallhauler they are on is slowly sinking into a lake and they have no immediate memories of who they are and how they got there. It will require a little suspension of disbelief for the players to lean into the amnesia aspect as they wake up forcefully from cryogenic sleep in their low berths but they are all great players so this shouldn't be too hard. Their memories and shared connections will slowly come back as they recover. At the conclusion of this adventure, I want to flashback to months prior to finding themselves in a deep cryogenic slumber aboard the smallhauler.

This brings me to the Death Station adventure. I really like the idea of this adventure taking place BEFORE the Flatlined adventure. It provides a really good opportunity to be double crossed at the end. The players are contracted by a representative of the Lysani Corporation to investigate the loss of communication from the laboratory ship Calendula. The players are down on their luck workers indebted to the company store and stuck in a corporate contract in a backwater world. The job seems promising and the mere possibility of the patron canceling their debt and offering passage off this backwater world is almost too good to be true. But bills have to be paid.

This brings us back to the flashback theme of using the Death Station adventure as the reason why they found themselves crash landed later. The Flatlined adventure uses "skill-jacking" as one of the potential reasons why the players were kidnapped and placed into low berth. The small crew on the surface of Stenmore Minerals Incorporated Proving Site Nine (PS9) are operating a side hustle as part of a skill-jacking ring to traffic people that have value but would not be missed by anyone.

I'm trying to come up with some logical connections with the Lysani Corporation patron who would could have sent the group to the Calendula to check on the communication loss and fully intended to use them as new test subjects to the combat drug operation rather than paying them. Who's going to miss a handful of backworld employees? But when they survive their encounter with the laboratory ship crew, their patron has to deal with them. Perhaps they received their promised passage offworld and were actually sold to the skill-jacking group. That's a win-win for the Lysani Corporation patron. Their immediate problems on the Calendula were resolved and the contractors proved themselves to be more capable that believed. Skill-jackers pay top cred for that kind of person. Both the Lysani Corporation and the skill-jackers engage in illegal drug manufacturing (combat drugs and incapacitating psychoactive drugs for trafficking people) so perhaps they are connected.

At the conclusion of Flatlined then the Death Station adventure, the group will have plenty of options to go forward. Do they want to go after the Patron that betrayed them and sold them to the traffickers? Did they make decisions that have them on the run and they need a change of venue in the galaxy? What did they do with the crew at PS9? Who is coming to rescue them? Lot's of options after these two adventures. I just want to make sure I can tie them together, especially in reverse order.

So that's my initial brainstorming in preparation for this game. I'm looking for any advice or suggestions to flesh this out more and to make sure I address any potential pitfalls with the standard GM caveat that no plot survives first contact with players.

You could use "Flatlined" and "Death Station" to start quite a long campaign of published adventures. I am assuming that the PC's do not have a ship from chargen, beyond a few ship shares?

Start with "Flatlined" and "Death Station" in that order. When the PC's explore the lab ship, they will find out what was going to happen to them, if "Flatlined" hadn't happened. Dalglee Hahsh the Bwap, will send the PC's to the lab ship, so that they can be recaptured and used for experimentation as planned, and no payment will be necessary! However when the PC's return and blackmail Hahsh (maybe the Bwap has an unfortunate accident), they have to skip town fast.

This leads us to "Adrift" from JTAS 12. 'The Amaranthine Haven' can be jumping from Neon to Tobia, but instead microjumps to one of Neon's gas giants, where the scenario starts. The Corsairs can actually be the mercenaries mentioned in "Death Station", while the 'Zhodani' are the Lysani Corporation. This scenario allows the PC's to acquire their own ship, a battered unarmed Far Trader! The Anagathics may provide enough money to arm the Far Trader.

Whether the PC's then jump to Tobia or Bastion, they can be contracted to return Betino hault-Aldaya from the TAS adventure "Fire beyond the border" to Imperial Space (I would use Fist not Tobia as the return point!). This takes the PC's out into the Borderlands. When the PC's get to Lilgan, which is almost inevitable, you can fold in 1st Edition "Counterweights and Measures", and possibly "Into the Borderlands" adventures, which can run concurrently with "Fire beyond the border". This will add a great sense of what the Borderlands are like, as well as seeming to be very Fireflyesque!

Assuming the PC's complete those successfully, Juliette Kamahl from "Counterweights and Measures" can offer them another job starting in Argona, "The Borderland Run". Another great adventure, which will take them all the way to Tyokh, in Aslan space. The mercenaries from "Death Station" can be hunting the PC's again, but for different reasons, while the crew of the 'Seskahalen' can be Lysani Corp. assassins! If you shift the Fist encounter to Paal, you could also run "The Rubinian Honour Gambit" from the May / June issue 2022 of Freelance Traveller. Paal seems a much more likely place for dueling than Fist, and also more likely to want Aslan mercenaries or retainers.

From Tyokh, if the PC's impressed some Aslan in "The Borderland Run", then they can be recommended to Utea on Kteiroa, for "Friends in dry places". A bit of slapstick never goes to harm! From there, Drinax is only one jump away!

All of these scenarios / adventures are readily available, and can be run without too much prep work. If you and your players enjoyed all this, then Pirates of Drinax is the ultimate (sandbox) campaign, one jump from Kteiroa! I would also recommend the 1st Edition "Borderland Profiles of Tanith, Umemii, Arunisiir, Inurin & Wildemann" for more great ideas for the Borderlands.

Our group started with Flatlined.
We held off on doing connections and skills from connections until incremental points in that game. People suddenly remembered the people next to them and WHY they remembered them.
Afterwards, they made their way to the mining camp that serves as a pool for Death Station test subjects.
To fill in some time, I had Zozer Games Sit-Rep 004 Psychosis, turning the plants into the ones from the movie "The Ruins" (2008), including the temples but without the natives.
Then they get recruited for Death Station.
After that, they headed back to Sword World space and flashed back to the chronological start of the campaign where they find out who put them in their situation. Knowing they were going to get kidnapped provided the proper level of paranoia as they dealt with cells of the kidnapping ring.

I am looking to start a campaign with Flatline then Death Station. However, I'd like to then run High & Dry - so they can recover their ship and continue in the Spinward Marches.

However, Walston is 36 parsecs from Neon, so I am considering relocating Flatline nearer. Thinking of 875-496. This would be a great place to locate an illegal research station to.

Definitely feel free to move adventures to other worlds. Very few of them hinge on something specific about the world they are on.

However, Walston is 36 parsecs from Neon, so I am considering relocating Flatline nearer. Thinking of 875-496. This would be a great place to locate an illegal research station to.
There usually isn't much of an issue with relocating adventures. There is also the possibility of a misjump to locate players nearer where you would like them.

I am looking to start a campaign with Flatline then Death Station. However, I'd like to then run High & Dry - so they can recover their ship and continue in the Spinward Marches.

I moved the worlds around as well. It is important to remember that the stats are for the main world. The secondary worlds are rarely detailed.
I moved the Flatline and Death Station world to an area inside the jump exclusion of the primary so that they HAD to be serviced by sub-light craft.
It also discouraged random visitors.

There usually isn't much of an issue with relocating adventures. There is also the possibility of a misjump to locate players nearer where you would like them.
Sure, but in Session 0 one PC got a Scout Ship, others got Ship Shares. So once they recover their memories, I am guessing they will be asking "Where the felgercarb is our ship!"... :)

If it's 36 parsecs away, that would be one lucky misjump to get there.

Sure, but in Session 0 one PC got a Scout Ship, others got Ship Shares. So once they recover their memories, I am guessing they will be asking "Where the felgercarb is our ship!"... :)

If it's 36 parsecs away, that would be one lucky misjump to get there.
My guys were not quite that far away, but I ran it where the mining foreman was not aware of
what the Bwap was doing, or that several of his miners whose contracts were up took pinnance rides to the station instead of to the starport.
Also, the survivor from Flatlined. They found her in the freezer.
He was more than happy to assist the characters to hack into the dead Bwap's funds to provide middle passage for them to get close to home.

Interesting question which I might have an answer for you. I was looking to run "High N Dry" as the way for the PC's to find the 'Harrier' and return it to Drinax. After a careful search of the Trojan Reach, Marduk is actually very similar to Walston, and is only eight jumps (Jump-2) from Neon. Marduk is on the Jump-2 route from Tobia to Floria, so getting passage shouldn't be a problem. You could use Walston Down for Marduk Downport, and the area around Mount Salbari could be the farming area on the mainland close to Marduk Downport Isle. Central the capital, should be part of Marduk Downpoint, and the railway journey from Walston Down to Central, could instead be a short sea journey from Marduk Downport to the mainland.

Big advantage of setting High N Dry on Marduk is that you can also fold in "Marooned on Marduk", "Gods of Marduk" and / or Makergod" into or after "High N Dry". There is actually far more stuff published for the Trojan Reach now, than the Spinward Marches, even if you are not playing "Pirates of Drinax"

If you want to move "Flatline" & "Death Station" to the Spinward Marches, then move them to Ator in Darrian subsector, one jump from Flamarrion and three from Walston. If you use 875-496 the Scout will need to be Jump-3!

Interesting question which I might have an answer for you. I was looking to run "High N Dry" as the way for the PC's to find the 'Harrier' and return it to Drinax. After a careful search of the Trojan Reach, Marduk is actually very similar to Walston, and is only eight jumps (Jump-2) from Neon. Marduk is on the Jump-2 route from Tobia to Floria, so getting passage shouldn't be a problem. You could use Walston Down for Marduk Downport, and the area around Mount Salbari could be the farming area on the mainland close to Marduk Downport Isle. Central the capital, should be part of Marduk Downpoint, and the railway journey from Walston Down to Central, could instead be a short sea journey from Marduk Downport to the mainland.

Big advantage of setting High N Dry on Marduk is that you can also fold in "Marooned on Marduk", "Gods of Marduk" and / or Makergod" into or after "High N Dry". There is actually far more stuff published for the Trojan Reach now, than the Spinward Marches, even if you are not playing "Pirates of Drinax"

If you want to move "Flatline" & "Death Station" to the Spinward Marches, then move them to Ator in Darrian subsector, one jump from Flamarrion and three from Walston. If you use 875-496 the Scout will need to be Jump-3!
Thanks. I will look into this further. I still have some time, so this may be the way I will go.

I am not so sure about Ator. It is very cold with a low oxygen atmosphere. You would have to give the PCs survival suits and rebreathers.

Under my current plan the Jump-3 isolation is accounted for:

Flatline on 875-496:

Adventure ends with the PC evacuated to another Sternmore Minerals Proving site. They are flat broke and are given subsistance wage jobs at the mining operation. The PCs will have to work for years to earning enough to buy passage off-world.

Death Station:

Dalglee Hahsh offers them a job with passage to Iderati. They end the adventure aboard a Jump-3 cargo vessel.

Highndry:

On Iderati - they contact Scout Services and discover their ship was hired out under forged documents. They need to recover it.

Thanks. I will look into this further. I still have some time, so this may be the way I will go.

I am not so sure about Ator. It is very cold with a low oxygen atmosphere. You would have to give the PCs survival suits and rebreathers.

Under my current plan the Jump-3 isolation is accounted for:

Flatline on 875-496:

Adventure ends with the PC evacuated to another Sternmore Minerals Proving site. They are flat broke and are given subsistance wage jobs at the mining operation. The PCs will have to work for years to earning enough to buy passage off-world.

Death Station:

Dalglee Hahsh offers them a job with passage to Iderati. They end the adventure aboard a Jump-3 cargo vessel.

Highndry:

On Iderati - they contact Scout Services and discover their ship was hired out under forged documents. They need to recover it.
Simply replace Ator with Neon, stats everything but the name. Unless your players are planning on going to the Darrian Confederation a lot, it will probably never be used again. Or as other people have suggested, Neon could be the second habitable planet in the system. Your choice!

Back