Problems?

I see Steve is being Diplomatic again.

ADB will continue for ever with the exact same fanbase it has now, I actually wonder why Steve got into this agreement with Mongoose, as I think he is happy with the Existing models, and player base, and trying to expand it via mongoose with a streamlined ruleset and models with some detail, is just piffing him off. Sadly, i expect both sides are financially involved now, so they are in it for good or bad.

Very sad to hear.

I posted my 2 cents in response on ADB forums. I would hate to see this system fall by the wayside.

Hmm. Sure doesn't look that promising. Game has barely got off and looks like there's already becoming bit of friction between them. This isn't even first case.

Makes me bit weary of investing to the game yet. Maybe stick with the noble armada.

nekomata fuyu said:
Well, I was a lot more likely to look into getting into SFB until I saw the way Steve acts on his forums at times...
i've had a mooch round the forums, and it is quite apparant that Steve views his customers in a distonct ADB v Mongoose split, somthing which after a heated start, had more or less gone away on here, and to my knowledge is not something Matt thinks (but i could be wrong)
i agree that he has distonct products to deal with, but he shouldn't be posting about ADM v Mongoose on decisions on scouts LOS for example.

H said:
to be fair, isn't THAT bad, but still gives a bad impression.

Thing is though this isn't isolated case...And as far as I understand if Steve decides he could pull the plug from Mongoose.

Even if he has no real intention of doing that this sort of thing shakes the foundation a bit gnawing basic FAITH of customers on long term viability. As economics teach if faith is shaken it can result in very _bad_ thing.

Enough people start believing ACTA:SF has no future and it could become self-fulfilling prophecy...

So the guy who's in overall charge posting stuff like starting to wonder if it's worth it is not exactly good sign. Now not saying he should be all bright and cheery even if he has issues but bit more care on wording could be handy and take major grievances straight to the other party.

Though at least it was done on just that forum in pretty off hand manner. Forum goers are always minority(though albeit often include disproportionate amount of guys who are driving force in organizing events and gaining visibility for the game essential for thriving product)

H said:
and to my knowledge is not something Matt thinks (but i could be wrong)

Well, you know how we do things here - we don't bad mouth our business partners. Or, indeed, talk about them at all. If anyone is looking for dirt, I am afraid this is not the forum for it. Last we heard, business was going well for ADB, and last month was the best yet for new ship line.

On this side of the ocean, we are still plugging away. Sand is currently working on the new Orion fleet with Lyrans up next in August, and we are just prepping the rapid prototypers for about 30 new SF ships which we hope to have ready for Gen Con, or thereabouts (including the new Gorn!).

not looking for dirt here, I have little to no interest in ADB's business. and despite our err, few fallings out shall we say, you have always seen me right so i have some faith in you, but will never forgive you for not continuing B5 ;-)

I heard a while back the walter koenig was making a move to buy all rights to B5 since the current owners have no interest in it at all. Maybe if this does come to pass he might be a bit more open minded to licensing arrangements.

archon96 said:
I heard a while back the walter koenig was making a move to buy all rights to B5 since the current owners have no interest in it at all. Maybe if this does come to pass he might be a bit more open minded to licensing arrangements.

I would be surprised if that happens, given who the owners are. That said, we have spent the last few years watching B5 as a potential licence (we do, after all, have a lot of material that has already been approved, and so it would be no trouble...). Can't say more than that, but we are watching...

This is nothing new. Steve vents, he moves on with the next thing needing done.

Now he shouldn't be saying such things in public, but that's just his way. I don't agree with it, but there it is.

Matt and Steve:

As long as sales are good, just keep any problems with each other under wraps like it should be, and carry on. No need to scare the customer base into thinking the partnership is about to collapse; that'll only hurt sales and long-term viability of the game.

nekomata fuyu said:
Well, I was a lot more likely to look into getting into SFB until I saw the way Steve acts on his forums at times...

SFB isn't going anywhere. You don't have to worry about the long-term viability of the SFB system. Why would you care how he acts on the forums ? Enjoy the game and ignore the llama drama that sometimes goes on there. As long as it isn't directed at you, why worry about it?

archon96 said:

Whee. Guy must be frigging rich and dead set on returning to character of Bester if that's true ;)

Sure would be nice but frankly not holding my breath.

(would just LOVE to be proven wrong. B5 4ever!)

I just went looking for the article again and cant find it. So im guessing it was someone with wishful thinking that wrote it.

Gentlefolk, I would ask that you let Matthew and Steve work this out in private as they always end up doing. Please don't throw any additional fuel on the fire and please don't feel compelled to contact the people involved or any people on the edges of the situation. Everyone who should know is very aware of what was said. Any time there is a change in business procedures, it takes a while for things to shake down.

Thank you all for your cooperation.

Jean

archon96 said:
I just went looking for the article again and cant find it. So im guessing it was someone with wishful thinking that wrote it.

Well there is this:

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/08/18/is-babylon-5-set-to-return-in-some-form/

But:

a) that says JMS was the guy trying to acquire rights
b) almost year after that and dead silence. And for what "looks really good" that's not too promising thing...

Now I really, really, really, REALLY hope I'm wrong and that not only does B5 get comeback of some sort but it's also done in a way the B5 deserves!

Of course with rights being on WB odds of the latter is not good...

Jean said:
Gentlefolk, I would ask that you let Matthew and Steve work this out in private as they always end up doing. Please don't throw any additional fuel on the fire and please don't feel compelled to contact the people involved or any people on the edges of the situation. Everyone who should know is very aware of what was said. Any time there is a change in business procedures, it takes a while for things to shake down.

Thank you all for your cooperation.

Jean

I'm sorry Jean, but this is advice you should be giving Steve, this isn't his first post along similar lines. I have been involved in new business procedures, and haven't taken to modern media to make comments on it, and I suspect I have been in business for a shorter time period. yes it should be private, but it's not is it, Steve has seen fit to put it in the public domain. I'm sorry if you think I am fueling the fire, but I am a concerned customer, who is now pondering whether to bother buying the Gorn fleet i have been waiting for.

Back