Lone Wolf 5: Shadow on the Sand

FUTURE SPOILER

Hey WritingWolf I know what you mean about Kimah - he is CS44 if you use the Sommerswerd, immune to all Psychic attacks and he hits you for 5 Endurance before you start. If you have the Psychic Ring He is only CS34 and you can use psychic attacks. (Why can't I use Psychic Ring AND Sommerswerd? Heh, heh!). If you have the Dagger of Vashna he is also CS34 but still psychically immune... unless you throw it for instant kill!! (Can Lone Wolf use Sommerswerd in one hand and Dagger of Vashna like Main-Gauche in other... please!).
It is "easier" to fight against the Chaos Master without Sommerswerd: It's CS 40 with Ironheart Broadsword (+8CS same as S.Swerd) and he's 10 EP weaker or CS 47 if you use Sommerswerd (Lore Circle of Spirit adds 2CS extra with S.Swerd only)! I tell ya, I'm seriously thinking of leaving the Sword of the Sun back at the Monastery for safe keeping before even going to Kalte - but that's not really in the spirit of Lone Wolf.
I seem to remember some tough fights in Book 17 with the Sommerswerd too.
It is of course the nature of the books that Joe has to have a way for someone to complete the book realistically without using those before, so there is always new equipment, etc. to find. Dare I say it can get a little boring if you roll 9 for initial CS (and you have to to defeat Kimah, etc..) then get the Sommerswerd and fight practically in +11 Combat Ratio all the time during the run up to becoming a Grand Master.
The best uses of the Sommerswerd are the healing power in book 16, casting magic back at Druids in 13 oh and a smug grin for how easy it is to defeat Gnaag in 12... (I prefer to use Helshzag or Dagger of Vashna for more of a challenge).
Don't get me wrong the Sword of the Sun is my Lightsaber but I just wish I could stand a fair chance of completing all the books even if I rolled inital CS10. (Or does 0 = 20?),
maybe I could use Laumspur during combat and not feel bad...

Anyway cheers. SnowShadow.

Tomb of the Mahjan Bonus Adventure SPOILER

I don't want to be a pedant BUT on section 65 the Toad riddle I chose Rice thinking it is Rice, Race, Rate, Rats but it turns out to be Mite, mate, mats, rats - same number of changes. I think maybe more thought should have gone into the alternatives just to make sure there wasn't any other ways - just noticed Mace, Race, Rate, Rats works too so you can use any for the first step. :wink:

True.
I don't want to be a moaner either.
I like the idea of the mini-adventures at the end, it adds even greater depth to Magnamund and because of the new material it feels more like it's worth the money buying a reprint of what I already have - can't wait for 29-32! :D

Got my book this morning. Where's my bookmark with the corrections for the previuos books!?! It was meant to be shipped out with book 5 but no. :(

Lycanthus said:
Got my book this morning. Where's my bookmark with the corrections for the previuos books!?! It was meant to be shipped out with book 5 but no. :(

I thought they said they were shipping with Book 6.

Hi SnowShadow

Spoilers

I seem to remember the very last LW fanclub newsletter had a reader who did the same thing with the Sommerswerd too. True it makes those fights much easier, but you then miss out on the plus 8 CP for the rest of the two books!

And you do get an awful lot of books, most of the Kai Series in fact, with plus 11. Just playing my Book 5 though, and the two Drakker fights when you are first on the Skyrider had plus 15 CS! Easy fight, but no challenge at all.

End of spoliers

Onto Book 5 - ok so the Equipment section missing is irrating if you need food - I tend not to go for Hunting straight off in order to make some use of my Backpack and gain another Discipline. And if you haven't read the books before it does make the books unnessecarily hard. Also, I foudn the map a little bit dark and hard to make out - I would have preffered some brighter colours.

However, the books does look very good - everything lines up properly! The book feels a lot more durable, you can open it to see the map in the cross-section with no fear of the book falling apart, thanks to the curved spine. Mongoose - sounds like you are onto a winning with the new printing company, and aside from missingou the Equipment page again, no problems that I can see!

Make sure the Equipment is there for the Magnakai books - I sure as heck want to get my hands on the Bow!

I'll just let Lone Wolf 'forget' he was carrying the Sommerswerd at the appropriate text decision points - after all he's very busy what with saving the whole of creation.

Or I could leave it behind for gamesmanship and because if it's powers are ever used by a non-Kai they will be lost forever. It doesn't matter if I walk around with a Jewelled Mace or Dagger of Vashna and get caught.

Then again I like disintegrating Cener Druids.

Another alternative is to stick to the rules as per the duel with Wolf's Bane and play all the major boss battles on the -4 Combat Ratio before psychic powers, it's either that or add +6 CS for having three Shields +2CS...

My final thought was if I wasn't going to keep Sommerswerd - play the first 20 books as my New Order Kai (instead of LW) on like training programmes to get him/her ready for Book 21. They'd have to 'lose' Grand Master Disciplnes (but not equipment!) or keep rank order; 13 and 24, then 14 and 25, etc. which isn't chronalogically correct but power balanced.

I got a Combat Ratio chart (I think from LW club) going up to something like +20, or maybe even 30 can't remember now and I made up (er down?) one going the other way too. It would be nice if Mongoose could make that downloadable.

Hi,
Just got Book 6. Looks good, but a couple of discrepencies on map.
Chor - Khor?
R.Khurea - R. Khorda?
At least Kuchek now has its flag (lol) :D

Since no-one has yet pointed it out, section 21 of the bonus adventure includes an incorrect reference to section 94 (it has only 90 sections).

I'd agree with the comments on the dim map (they seem to be getting worse if anything). It does though clear up the problem with cities (the original version had Kuchek marked as a village, making the puzzle of section 331 a little harder to solve. In fact, this part has been tightened up a little now with the correct paragraph including confirmation text.

I'd also like to see higher quality artwork - the fillers (small illustrations) are OK but the full page pictures are, in my view, less inspiring than the original.

MiddleAgedFogey said:
Since no-one has yet pointed it out, section 21 of the bonus adventure includes an incorrect reference to section 94 (it has only 90 sections).

Right I guess the correct secion here is 37. (21 leads to 37 and 37 leads to 21.)

Just received my copy of book 5 today in California. The book looks great! They really are making wonderful progress in puttting together their books/binding.

I'm not one to get too upset about missing equipment or whatever, I'm just glad to have these books re-releasing (CE at that!).
Alleviating the error problems with errata bookmarks...I can live with that, as long as nothing is seriously messed up, then I'm good to go! Just make sure to complete the mega-deal project! We love lone wolf.

Thanks Mongoose! :)

Did anyone happen to acquire an extra copy? Book 5 is the only damn one of the reprints I couldn't get. Mongoose cheated and simply didn't send it when I ordered the 12 book special.

Back