Lone Wolf 5: Shadow on the Sand

Lycanthus

Mongoose
Has anyone heard anything about when this book will be posted to the UK, at all? I'm really looking forward to the climax of the Kai series. :)

Tell me about it - I just finished up Book 3, and will be taking care of Book 4 after I do the bonus adventure from 3. I'm having so much fun going through these books again - and I remember really liking Book 5 back in the day. Can't wait!

To be honest I hadn't read any LW in a long, long time (lost all my books in a fire) so it's really good revisiting these gems in a nice new format. My memory tells me that book 5 was my favourite when I was a teenager. I'm keen to see how it holds up nowadays and if it will still be my fave now that the new FftD is so fleshed out - especially with Zipp Dementia's Gourgaz battle (that brings the number of sections up to 600!) :)

Hmmm... Last week, book 5 was listed as an upcoming release on the main LW page. Now today, it appears in the current release section. Does it mean that it is currently be sent to people?

Well, from your blog, it seems you have the book at your warehouse. Then, I should expect my books 4 & 5 very soon, hey?

I am very curious about this book.

This will most likely be my first CE book which isn´t manufactured at Mongoose´s in-house printing facility. Needless to say, I am very curious as to how Shadow on the Sand will appear in comparison to my other books.

Well my copy arrived today. It felt better. The cover didn't have any issues and had a lovely round curved spine. I'm almost willing to buy the first four again so I can get matching covers.

The text wasn't going off the edges of any pages, the paper even felt better, everything was where it should be. Well, almost everything. Once again there was no equipment selection section, just like in book 4!

That seesm to be rapidly becoming a regular feature of the new books which is fine if you're playing through the series but if a casual customer picks one up in a bookshop he's going to feel jilted at trying to brave te adventure empty handed and wonder if it's really meant to be that hard :p.

Balgin Stondraeg said:
Well my copy arrived today. It felt better. The cover didn't have any issues and had a lovely round curved spine. I'm almost willing to buy the first four again so I can get matching covers.

The text wasn't going off the edges of any pages, the paper even felt better, everything was where it should be. Well, almost everything. Once again there was no equipment selection section, just like in book 4!

That seesm to be rapidly becoming a regular feature of the new books which is fine if you're playing through the series but if a casual customer picks one up in a bookshop he's going to feel jilted at trying to brave te adventure empty handed and wonder if it's really meant to be that hard :p.

If you surrender and go to the prison it won't matter much since all equipment is lost, and you will have most of the new set when you find the place where it is hidden (if you find it).

Trying to get away through the sewers would be far more difficult though.

Overall, this is one book where you don't need good starting equipment to survive.

Another book, another error!? How much complaing do people have to do before the editor(s) actually do their feckin' job! If I made mistakes as often as this in my workplace I'd get the boot. Does the editor own the company or something??

Hi all.

Got my copy of Shadow on the Sand today too. Bit of a pity about the equipment section but in case anyone wants to know:

"You may take any four of the following:

DAGGER (Weapons)

POTION OF LAUMSPUR (Backpack Items). This potion restores 4 ENDURANCE points to your total when swallowed after combat. There is enough for one dose.

SWORD (Weapons)

SPEAR (Weapons)

2 SPECIAL RATIONS (Meals). Each of these Special Rations counts as one Meal, and each takes up one space in your backpack.

MACE (Weapons)

SHIELD (Special Items). This adds 2 points to your COMBAT SKILL when used in combat."

So basically you can take one weapon and all the other items.

SPOILER ALERT

Okay the debate on which way - I like to evade Maouk until purchasing Alether from the Herb Mistress, then I go to prison and escape - it's nice to use something other than the Sword of the Sun for a change and I prefer the equipment choice when escaping. The Alether I use against Haakon with the Sommerswerd.
N.B. The +4 Alether from Kalte I save for the archery contest in Book 6 - I use Weaponmastery with Bow as +3 CS on this occasion but it would be nice to always add the 3 to the random number I pick; which method do you guys use?
If I didn't lose the backpack at Castle Death then I would definately use the +4 Alether against either Kimah or the Chaos Master, thank heavens I can get at least one Alether from Tadia in Book 8.

Hope that's some help.

Personally I always cheat and ignore every instruction to lose your Backpack and items from your Backpack (unless like in Book 2 where the book forces you to have no food).

The books are hard enough, and in the NO books it seems that every other section has you having to chuck stuff out of your pack.

The Alether and Oede and all the rest I save up for Kimah - he's waaaay too strong to fight any other way. Oh and the Chaos-master too.

hi guys, my book 5 arrived this morning (am in the uk) - looks much better quality.
as for equipment section, having a quick flick there's no selection of goodies (like shield, lamspur etc) as has been said, i wonder if this is deliberate for all the reprints to encourage you to start the series from the beginning? :D

--: mini spoiler, highlight to read :--

oh and the bonus adventure has you as a young tipasa the wanderer finding the tomb of the majhan, looks interesting ...

Back