Lone Wolf 17... Is In!

Drake_NZ - Not cheesy at all... My Grandmaster Discipline of Telegnosis gave me a bad feeling about taking Helshezag to the Maakengorge. Something told me it would end badly. :D

Yeah, the permanent END loss is nasty, but for a first strike before switching to another weapon, that shift to the right of two or three columns on the combat table is a god send. In the original books it was always a handy back up (up to it exploding messily).

SnowShadow - I won't speculate further until the book's been out for a while, but I did have a somewhat radical idea but it would be a spoiler. If I think on, I'll pop back in a couple of weeks and throw it out there.

Got my book - one of the best covers of them all and nice and bright. Haven't read it yet, but it looks really nice and my first impressions are positive.

Haven't received mine yet but nice to hear about 18.

One question: I had never played past Book 15 (and I'm not playing them again until I get the whole series) and I was wondering how spoilerish it would be to just play the bonus adventures. Or would they not even make sense?

The vast majority of the bonus adventures are totally self-contained plots that would be just fine to play alone. That said, you really should enjoy the entire book; Lone Wolf rocks! :)

-A

Out of curiosity, who's the mini-adventure protagonist this time ? I can't think of an important secondary character in Book 17 that would qualify. Tagazin ? Lol.

Or are we continuing with the adventures of the undead guy ? It would fit the theme…

I would prefer not to say, mainly so that I don't spoil the surprise for anyone who turns to the bonus adventure and checks it out.

It's a new character, that much I will say.

MongooseAugust said:
The vast majority of the bonus adventures are totally self-contained plots that would be just fine to play alone. That said, you really should enjoy the entire book; Lone Wolf rocks! :)

-A

Amen to that August, Amen.

Having read the book, gotta say it is a lot easier now than before. Still hard, but not "cheating" hard if you see what you mean.

I have a few comments about the bonus adventure, so they will be some spoilers below. Don't read on if you haven't read the book!

Ok so onto the bonus adventure .. and <spoilers!>

Nice choice of character - not what I was expecting at all! Wonder who the new power in Gourzaa is? It can't be Xaol as he is in Gazad Helkona, so I'm looking forward to this and hopefully we will find out more in future releases.

Also, how come there are living members in the Deathlord's army? Where did they come from? I assume they will gradually become the undead, but it was a bit of a shock. Not a bad one, just a shock. I suppose you can't have much character development with a bunch of skeletons! Overall I enjoyed the bonus adventure a lot - don't know why but it reminds me of an adult version of "Knightmare" if anyone remembers that show from the 80s. :D

MongooseAugust said:

-A

Well, I can't disagree. However, by the time my Mega-Deal order first arrived the first four books were out and 5 was only a couple of months off. I generated my version of Lone Wolf and went through the first book. It was very fun (and very different; this LW has max Skill and min Stamina compared to the old book LW who ended up with low Skill and high Stamina) but when I got to the end of it I realised I would quickly go through the books I had and then it would end up falling into a pattern of Play, Stop, Wait, Play, Stop, Wait.

That kind of playing style doesn't suit me very well. While it's frustrating to wait for the whole series, or close enough to the end that I can start playing again, it's less frustrating than having the series spontaneously end on me after 20 books. Not to mention that the release schedule has been slow and erratic; that 10 month wait was hideous. I just can't play like that - it would drive me crazy.

WritingWolf said:
Got my book - one of the best covers of them all and nice and bright. Haven't read it yet, but it looks really nice and my first impressions are positive.

I'm of course very happy to finally have the next book in my hands but I'm still a bit disappointed by the print quality of the maps - they all looks so grey-ish and mushy.
I remember them quite colorful from the "old books".

Only 15 more to wait for! :D

I agree with you on that one Sommerswerd. They are getting better, but the colours are muted than before. Guess we're just fans of the original artwork - can't please 'em all! :D

msprange said:
In the process of doing so now - they will all be out the door by the end of this coming week.

I'm guessing it's still too early to panic then!

Last time I got worried about not receiving a copy(so I sent a 'letter'/e-mail of concern and then it arrived the following day...so I had to send a second e-mail telling them it arrived ok. :D

Anybody in the US/California received their copies yet? (original mega deal customer here) Wondering how long I should wait before I get concerned...hehe

hawkytom said:
Anybody in the US/California received their copies yet? (original mega deal customer here) Wondering how long I should wait before I get concerned...hehe

If it assuages your anxiety at all, I am an original Mega Deal US customer as well and I haven't seen my copy either. They always come eventually.

I live on the East Coast (USA) and have yet to receive #17. Has this been shipped yet, and has anyone on the East coast receive their copy yet?

topple said:
I live on the East Coast (USA) and have yet to receive #17. Has this been shipped yet, and has anyone on the East coast receive their copy yet?

I'm in SW Oregon, and have yet to get mine. Easter is getting closer....

I'm in Ohio and haven't gotten mine. However, the last couple of years it seems like I don't get the book, for whatever reason, until about a month to six weeks after they say I should be getting it. It's extraordinarily irritating, as almost everything has been regarding the LW gamebooks, but I've come to expect it and would be very surprised to get it much before early to mid-March.

Back