Internal Bay Weapons

MasterGwydion

Cosmic Mongoose
So, to preface, I am an idiot and this question has arisen from idiotic thoughts.

Can a ship be built with an entirely internal weapons bay? By internal, I mean using no hardpoints, and having no means to fire it's weapons without blowing large holes in the very ship it is mounted within. I ask this because, Meson Weapons could fire through the ship, without damaging it, much like subterranean meson sites for planetary defense. I am fairly sure in the OTU, the answer is no, mainly due to the fact that I have never seen a meson bay weapon in Canon. Outside of the OTU, but still within the Traveller rules, I am not entirely sure.

Once again, sorry for the idiot post, but also, thank you for your time.

:)

Can a ship be built with an entirely internal weapons bay?
Sure, why not? That sounds like a deck plan issue, largely arbitrary.

By internal, I mean using no hardpoints, and having no means to fire it's weapons without blowing large holes in the very ship it is mounted within.
No, they would still require hardpoints by the game mechanic.

How many weapons a ship can have is limited by game mechanics (hardpoints).
How you envision and draw the ship is not.

1. No.

2. You need the hardpoints to bracket down the weapon systems.

3. In theory you could utilize ground weapons, who don't explicitly need hardpoints.

4. Meson sled is currently sixty tonnes, but I suppose you could position it in the cargo hold, and using the ship's sensors by proxy, aim it.

Sure, why not? That sounds like a deck plan issue, largely arbitrary.

No, they would still require hardpoints by the game mechanic.

How many weapons a ship can have is limited by game mechanics (hardpoints).
How you envision and draw the ship is not.
Hardpoints as game mechanic and not as an actual physical hardpoint? That actually makes good sense to Me. Thank you.

There is a ship in S:9 that has bay meson weapons, and has been ported to MgT.

The Skimkish class light carrier has four 50-ton bay meson guns.

But feel free to have some planetary (or larger) government working on creating just such a ship, leading to disastrous consequences that cause adventures for Travellers, like the GeDeCo quad turret debacle (JTAS Vol 8), only without any real chance to make this technology functional.

Back