Infernum

Nyceran

Mongoose
I checked out the main book this past weekend and was pretty impressed with the setting. Can you also run a "good" campaign with Angels and such or is it just all "evil" type creatures?

Nyceran said:
Can you also run a "good" campaign with Angels and such or is it just all "evil" type creatures?

Yes, you can. If you wanted to, you could start a campaign with characters playing fallen Angels, or humans brought to hell by Hellgouts or by magic. Check out the write up about the Knights of the Harrowing (Book 2, I believe) which talks about some medieval crusaders on a campaign to conquer Hell.
Enjoy
Mikeydanuke

I read through the product description for this game and didn't care for it at all. Just my opinion, but I really don't think Mongoose Publishing should take religion and make a game of it. As a Christian, I'm quite disturbed about this release.

B5Temple said:
I read through the product description for this game and didn't care for it at all. Just my opinion, but I really don't think Mongoose Publishing should take religion and make a game of it. As a Christian, I'm quite disturbed about this release.

Fear not B5Temple

It isn't making light of religion in any way, i've been a christian all my life but I still learned to differentiate between a game and real life. This game isn't representative of real life beliefs nor is it a political or social statement about religion in any way.. it is simply a make believe RPG nothing more, nothing less and should only be treated as such.

would be happier with a heaven sourcebook as well :shock: but have had alot of good feedback about this rpg . my problem would be the wife know the look when I had the book of hell on my christmas list let alone playing there. :roll:

toothill man said:
would be happier with a heaven sourcebook as well :shock: but have had alot of good feedback about this rpg . my problem would be the wife know the look when I had the book of hell on my christmas list let alone playing there. :roll:

If memory serves me well Toot.. originally the game was going to cover both under a completely different name that aludes me right now???
Then later down the line it became Infernum, although with mention that the other side of the equation would be covered later.. though whether that is still the plan or not I do not know

The earlier variation of this product was called Schism. (At least the one Neo is thinking about.)

This product is an blossoming of other ideas.

Infernum appeared in Book of the Planes (Gar Hanrahan). It was thought to be such a great Idea that it was expanded to a setting book of its own, Book of Hell (Adrian Bott) and then it was probably decided that it could live as a complete game and became Infernum I,II, III (Gar Hanrahan).

Each interpretation is slightly different, but their is overlap and growth apparent from one to another.

I would be nice to see a companion Book of the Firmament (by Adrian).

Playtester_Gedak said:
The earlier variation of this product was called Schism. (At least the one Neo is thinking about.)

Schism! thats the one, thanks Mark :) that was bugging me not being able to recall the name of that planned product.

Playtester_Gedak said:
I would be nice to see a companion Book of the Firmament (by Adrian).

Are you volunteering me, sir? :)

The trouble with Heaven from a game book perspective is that it is, at least in Western cosmology, really rather featureless. It contains light, angels, God, and not much in the way of varied landscape, because it's pure sublimity and joy. (This is why John Milton found it so challenging to write about in Paradise Lost.) Redemption is redemption, without preferential degrees, so there's no need for differentiation. Yes, there are singular features, such as the Blessed City, the Garden, the Presence of the Name and so on, but since all good people get the same rewards, it's not as territorial as Hell.

Hell, by contrast, has varying degrees of punishment, corresponding to varying degrees of sin. This makes for different environments, which inm turn makes for an interesting gazetteer. There are nine circles, or some similar arrangement. The sheer variety of punishments for the damned is enough to make a book in itself. Wood of Suicides, Lake of Fire, Channels of Plutus, etc. etc.

So, I'm not saying a Firmament book couldn't be done, but it would be a lot more challenging, and you'd also have to consider to whom it could be useful. Story depends on conflict. A hostile force isn't supposed to be able to get anywhere NEAR Heaven, much less assault it, so it makes it hard to plan for such things.

But, you never know... ;)

Mongoose_Ade said:
So, I'm not saying a Firmament book couldn't be done, but it would be a lot more challenging, and you'd also have to consider to whom it could be useful. Story depends on conflict. A hostile force isn't supposed to be able to get anywhere NEAR Heaven, much less assault it, so it makes it hard to plan for such things.

But, you never know... ;)

Have you ever seen the film "Prophecy"? That would be my suggested approach. A war in heaven between the Angels between those who support god in his preference over mankind by giving us souls, and those who filled with pride and envy have fallen and are filled with hatred against man for thier place in gods eyes and thier fellow angels for following god blindly when he ignores them.

Such a book could cover heaven and its wars and factions as well as the spill over into our realm, the realm of man where both sides clash. One side protecting certain souls that the other side seek to take or misuse for thier purposes.

Hell as its depicted in Infernum isn't all bad.. so I guess on the flip side Heaven doesnt need to be all good either.. afterall these things are always in balance and diametrically opposed.

Only God is absolute good, as only the devil is absolute evil.. in the divide between them, it is always filled with shades of gray.

Neo said:
Such a book could cover heaven and its wars and factions as well as the spill over into our realm, the realm of man where both sides clash. One side protecting certain souls that the other side seek to take or misuse for thier purposes.

Surely. The battleground that was going to be present in Schism was that of the original rebellion of Lucifer, which would have been a LOT harder to realise. RPGs tend to focus on Stuff and The Environment, and at the dawn of creation, there isn't a whole lot of Stuff, nor is there much of an Environment.

Here's a question: if you did a book on Heaven, what would it look like? What form would the battleground take?

Mongoose_Ade said:
Here's a question: if you did a book on Heaven, what would it look like? What form would the battleground take?

Hmm.. well I've always thought heaven would be a lot like hell in its variety. everyone has thier own idea of what would be considered thier own personal hell, just as everyone has some idea of what would be thier own personal heaven.. I doubt it would be anything uniformly representative to everyone in the same way.

Obviously as an RPG goes though it would kind of need to be, but there is no reason there couldn't be as many planes of heaven as thier is of hell.. coverings Dreams, Thought, Creativity, Passion, Desire and so forth.. heck if there are seven deadly sins in hell then why not seven divine virtues in heaven and have heaven personify those in both design and appearance. Different universal laws of how things work on each plane and each plane representing a divine virtue...that kind of thing. That way it wouldnt be uniform and would provide some diversity of terrain and environment.

this would be great heaven is considered boring due to not as much effort put into the good guys as the bad but like the differant areas for differant heavens as a mirror as it were to hells domains.

like the idea of the campain as well archangels to the ready time to kick some fallen angel butt 8)

A book of purgatory (or Earth - as I like to think of it) would be a great addition to the Infernum books. It could also be a place where the forces of heaven and hell could overlap/fight.

Such a book could deal with cults (influenced by powerful demons) and divinely inspired demon hunter types (church sponsored or otherwise). Or Faustians on Earth, or nut-jobs who think they are doing the work of God (but really aren't) so on and so forth...

The nature of such a useful tome would make a perfect link between infernum and the suggested 'heaven' book.

Characters could be angels sent from heaven to fight demonic influence, or disguised demons sent to fight the heavenly presence, or normal people caught up in the eternal conflict, or mortals from hell who've managed to escape to 'eden' only to find that earth can be just as bad as hell in its own way...

Back