poit like point without the N
ain like ain't without the T
accent on the ain

For that matter, how do you pronounce:
Brythunia
Hyperborea
Argossean

Specifically, where's the accent?

i always prononce it like....("Puatain") but my french is'n very good.
But i now that some vocals sound diferent when they are togheter :
AU=is like a O
and i believe that OI is as UA or something but if a french could tell us will be better :lol:

Eldren said:
i always prononce it like....("Puatain") but my french is'n very good.
But i now that some vocals sound diferent when they are togheter :
AU=is like a O
and i believe that OI is as UA or something but if a french could tell us will be better :lol:

I don't know if a Brussels based Basque is good enough :wink: , but I would strongly suggest you not to use the French pronunciation for “Poitain”… It comes very near to a very bad word :oops:

I think BhilJhoanz is very correct in his suggestion here.

Most of the names that Howard used for countries come straight from Greek and Roman myhtology and history. I always try to put in good use my "Latin" pronunciation :)

I also wouldn't pronounce Poitain Frenchly (or stress the second syllable in the way Americans think French words are said -- beret, etc.). I say bryTHUnia, HYperBORea, and arGOSsean with the capitalized syllables stressed.

How about "Belit"? (And I know I'm leaving the circumflex accent off the I.)

"Bee-lit"? "Bell-it"? "Bay-lit"? "Beh-leet"? "Beh-lee"? Or something else entirely?

S.

How about "Belit"? (And I know I'm leaving the circumflex accent off the I.)

That should be one of the easiest... This name clearly comes from Babylon and it means "goddess" and, by the way, "wife of Bel". So, it is BEL-it (stress in the first syllable).

I hope nobody asks how to pronounce "Cthulhu" (endless amusing hours discussing ths one with friends over one and another pint of Guinness!!!)... :D

I would definately use the French pronunciation for Poitain.
The rulebook(though not REH)states that it bears a similarity to France of the middle ages. If we can accept a similar culture then why not a similar language.
Using the English ONION to the French OIGNON(wanyon) then Poitain would be Pwatane by the same token.(OI in French has a WA sound).
Also i'm not sure that the similarity to a certain insult would have crossed REH's mind when he invented Poitain. I reckon he just spliced the French provinces of Poitou and Aquitaine.

tarkhan bey said:
I would definately use the French pronunciation for Poitain.
The rulebook(though not REH)states that it bears a similarity to France of the middle ages. If we can accept a similar culture then why not a similar language.
Using the English ONION to the French OIGNON(wanyon) then Poitain would be Pwatane by the same token.(OI in French has a WA sound).
Also i'm not sure that the similarity to a certain insult would have crossed REH's mind when he invented Poitain. I reckon he just spliced the French provinces of Poitou and Aquitaine.

Dear tarkhan bey,

The problem here is that, IMHO, you are also right...

Well...
Let me tell you how I pronounce it :

http://n.pepion.free.fr/campagne/fichiers/Poitain.wav

I hope it would help you, guys :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mohbius,I hope that my earlier post didnt sound like I was saying that any other pronunciation than mine is unnacceptable.It is of course up to the individual how they pronounce words and as REH isnt around to confer with who knows if any of us are right. I just thought that I had a reasonable argument. :oops:

tarkhan bey said:
Thanks for the vote of confidence Mohbius,I hope that my earlier post didnt sound like I was saying that any other pronunciation than mine is unnacceptable.It is of course up to the individual how they pronounce words and as REH isnt around to confer with who knows if any of us are right. I just thought that I had a reasonable argument. :oops:

At least I did understood it that way... :wink:

"Proper" pronunciation of long dead languages ("church" or "historical" pronunciation for Latin?), not to speak about fantasy names, could be a real nightmare among "aficionados" if we start discussing it without the proverbial grain of salt...

I think it is very much a matter of personal preference and subjective feeelings (like pretty much everything in life). But the possibility of spending some minutes thinking about it in friendly company (like here) it is a pleasure and a privilege, by Crom!

Back