Here's an idea...

Just one thing (i've been busy with classes this week) from early in the thread:

Whether or not a given game engine's mechanics (not the words but the processes themselves) can be protected by copyright has never actually been openly tested in open court. Whilst the rules of copyright do not explicitly protect rules, and in fact exclude processes explicitly, they do cover derivative works. Proving derivation could easily be attempted by showing the identical processes in use.

Also, trademark law covers look and feel... similar enough is in fact trademark violation, and trademark, like copyright, need not be registered to be defended.

Further, a process CAN be patented. I know of no patent protected RPG's, but several board games have protected their rules with patents in the past; such patents do expire, and are not renewable, so they're less protection...

No I'm not the author, just playtester...
It is different from MRQ and keeps closer to the traditional feel of BRP... I think its quite cool 8)

But I am a co-writer for a certain 'Modern Occult' non-mythos source book/Monograph for DBRP... which is coming along slowly... hopefully my contribution wont be passable :) but you never can tell :(

But saying that I also think MRQ has some cool stuff, so much so my Glorantha games will be run using a hybrid DBRP and MRQ.

Exubae said:
No I'm not the author, just playtester...
It is different from MRQ and keeps closer to the traditional feel of BRP... I think its quite cool 8)

Man, I wish you weren't under a NDA. :(

Any idea when DBRP will be released?

Any idea when DBRP will be released?
There was a delay because of problems with one of the chapters, but this has been for the most part fixed after being ripped apart, reworked, and is 1000% better. Jason and co. are doing a stirling Job :) , just hope Krank and co. have enough cash to publish it when its done. :?

DBRP is going appealling to those who love BRP, and are into 'realism'
where as
MRQ seem more of a game to attract players into the BRP style gaming... kind of a bridging game, it does bring some of the better elements of D&D and the ilk in to the fold so to speak. It is riding the 'Heroic' edge of gaming.

Some thing I've noticed MRQ really would make a cool 'Supers' framework... better than superworld at least... I wonder if ones on the cards.

Back