Has the end of the miniatures range killed ACTA?

Is ACTA doomed?

• Never! The game is so great that Im sure new players will join even if only with counters!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yep. It wasnt that great to start with and Im giving up.

• No, it may not grow any bigger now but plenty of folks will keep playing it enough for the rules to

• Probably, people will keep it going for a while but gradually folks will just move on and noone will

• If the minis come back it will be born again but until that day its just going to bleed to death

• Other (please explain (and dont click me if your oppinions is pretty close to one of the other optio

• Total voters
Da Boss said:
trying to avoid spending a fortune of the new Clasic Battletech - it looks tempting oh yes very tempting
Well, hopefully, you didn't get rid of your collection of mechs. In which case, it won't cost you a fortune. If you did, it'll still cost less than it used to thanks to the "Lance in a box" sales strategy they're employing...
Not very many significant changes from the old BMRr, but lots of little things that can get annoying. And the new rulebook is horribly laid out (though very pretty)...

also use ral partha europe, they usually do buy 4 get a 5th free and that 5th can be the most expensive of them.

i got loads but then the hobbybox picked up a load cheap and so was selling them half price :D

Admiral Phlop said:
I am not sure that bringing back the miniatures in a year will help stave off the death of this game. People move on and it is hard to get them to come back. I think it is terminal. May as well euthanize it.

I think it would take a little more than that - Mongoose mini production failed before so chances are it would again. With that in mind a lot of people would not invest in them again. The majority of my gaming group woudnt anway.

Still gutted about all of this hence the negativity.

Frohike said:
I think it would take a little more than that - Mongoose mini production failed before so chances are it would again. With that in mind a lot of people would not invest in them again. The majority of my gaming group woudnt anway.

Still gutted about all of this hence the negativity.

I don't mind the investment, since I got into ACTA for Babylon 5. I played B5Wars as well, because it was B5. If ACTA falls through completely, I'll just be happy having a collection of B5 minis. More than likely, IF Babylon 5 is picked up by someone else for a tabletop combat game, they will end up using the same minis and I'll be good to go anyway.

Taran said:
Da Boss said:
trying to avoid spending a fortune of the new Clasic Battletech - it looks tempting oh yes very tempting
Well, hopefully, you didn't get rid of your collection of mechs. In which case, it won't cost you a fortune. If you did, it'll still cost less than it used to thanks to the "Lance in a box" sales strategy they're employing...
Not very many significant changes from the old BMRr, but lots of little things that can get annoying. And the new rulebook is horribly laid out (though very pretty)...

Yeah I still have Mechs - card and plastic and a few metal - and all the rules sets :roll: Am thinking about digging it out and having a bash.

I last used a standard Battletech rules with some bits from Solaris (extra maneuvers and 3 sets of linked weapons - made it mroe like the novels which I loved) Probably pick up the fluff books I am missing - are they just reprints of the old stuff? Missing some of the House books and unit books.............

Da Boss said:
I last used a standard Battletech rules with some bits from Solaris (extra maneuvers and 3 sets of linked weapons
ummm, What?

Probably pick up the fluff books I am missing - are they just reprints of the old stuff? Missing some of the House books and unit books.............
I honestly don't know if they are reprinting the old sourcebooks are rewriting them or doing anything with the old sourcebooks at all. I don't go for all that stuff. They are focusing their writing on the FedCom Civil War on through the Jihad. What used to be called Tech Level 3.
I'll ask, though.

Taran said:
Da Boss said:
I last used a standard Battletech rules with some bits from Solaris (extra maneuvers and 3 sets of linked weapons
ummm, What?

The Old Solaris boxed set had additional maneuvers such as Evade - counts as running, can not fire and gives atatckers a minus to hit you.

Also there was a nice idea that you had 3 sets of linked triggers - so you had to set up your guns on these - and could activate one set of triggers when you fired - or fire any one single weapon.

Marauder - 2 PPC's, 2 Med lasers and a AC-10

Trigger 1 - RA PPC and AC-10
Trigger 2 - LA PPC and both Med Lasers
Trigger 3 - Alpha Strike

Or any combination of these

It was good for small Lance levels skirmishes and the older Mechs with less guns than the new Clan era ones :D

Battle Tech was the only other minis game I went mad about. Even was a part of Mech Force UK. They had a good ranking system for members. A good player would get less points if they beat a worse player. And a bad player would get more points if he played a good player.

I at least left BT after they added that much High Technology. I loved the 3025 era and even played the RPG for sometime. It was great.

But back at topic. It will at least be hard to get new players into this game without minis. One possible way to change this would be high quality counters and a new package like the old Revised Edition Box. Rules + ships+ counters was a good reason to buy into the game for many people I've met on conventions.

Taran said:
I honestly don't know if they are reprinting the old sourcebooks are rewriting them or doing anything with the old sourcebooks at all. I don't go for all that stuff. They are focusing their writing on the FedCom Civil War on through the Jihad. What used to be called Tech Level 3.
I'll ask, though.

Ah well be good to know - I saw one which combined the Sorensons Sabres (a notorious company of the 5th (?) Sword of Light - which I have )and the Fox's Teeth regiment.

I was hoping they were reprinting all the old ones as I am missing Comstar, Periraphy, Liao, Marik and a few unit books.

I loved the 3026 erea and enjoyed the Clans (although less so) and no very little at all about the period past when the Inner sphere attacked the Clans at home...........

We haven't used the triggers things since before I started playing. To my knowledge, that's been a MW only kind of thing.

Init, Move, Declare firing, Resolve Firing, declare phys, resolve phys, resolve heat. Next turn.

You can declare all the weapons you want to fire, but every one that you declare Must fire at the target it was declared on.

The Solaris book. That wasn't MaxTech, was it?

And I also play 3025. Almost exclusively.

solaris book went even further than maxtech on crazy tech and weapons.

3025 is too slow for me, mechs almost always end up doing phys as they overheat too easily. love my clan tech myself.

warhawk c annyone? : P

btw i do not think that suspending the miniatyr line is going to kill the game.. we`r allways going to implement our own rules or versions for ourself.. its more an subject to priorites

And you complain about WSs, katadder? They are far better balanced for their game than ClanTech is for its...

Anyone, got the word on the old sourcebooks: They are not reprinting them, though they are making PDFs available on BattleCorps.com They don't have everything, but they're working on it.

Oh, and katadder, overheating is a question of whether you know how to use your mech...
CRD-R and STK-H all day, every day...

@ Taren

Thanks for that - will check it out - although I always prefer books to pdfs :)

re the linked weapons- it was just for small fights - and jsut made it that little bit more like the books :)

Balnce was a difficult matter - always some people insisted in using SRM carrer type vehciles :roll: or their Guass rifle to the max / ER med laser monstrosities

Taran said:
And you complain about WSs, katadder? They are far better balanced for their game than ClanTech is for its...

Anyone, got the word on the old sourcebooks: They are not reprinting them, though they are making PDFs available on BattleCorps.com They don't have everything, but they're working on it.

Oh, and katadder, overheating is a question of whether you know how to use your mech...
CRD-R and STK-H all day, every day...

i dont complain about WSs, just think they need to be boresight ;)

as for clan tech, nothing wrong with it, can beat and be beaten by any IS force. In fact I could use 3025 mechs and beat the clans and had a 90% win record on a clan invasion server using just such mechs. ok clans have long range pulse but thats not a major problem really as you can get enough weapons to stop them. plus they generally have alot less armour.
AWS-8Q ftw
also loved banshees

I always think of the 3025 and Clan era as almost different games - double heat sinks, gauss rifles etc changes the game massively.

Also really enjoyed the smaller scale scenario packs - Black Widow, Sabres etc - could play them - the Luthien / Coventry ones had too many Mechs in them in too small a space for me.

I also liked the aspects of the attrition of war with Mechs having malfunctioning weapons, reactors, gyros etc - even elite units like the aforementioned. :D

Back