G'Lan class Assault Cruiser

EricRoss

Mongoose
Bear in mind that this design is a complete fabrication. I have never seen anything in the series to suggest it ever existed and in fact made it just for fun and use in my games several years after the Shadow War. I decided to make it because one of my Narn Characters is am Officer and CO of a Ka'Toc Battle Destroyer (in 2258) and aspires to fleet command some day. I know it would burn him up to serve on a command ship named after G'Quon (since he is a follower of G'Lan, so my GM has agreed that if I take a combination of Craft (starship) and knowledge (starship design) that he may let me refit a damaged vessel after the War of Retribution and name it after G'Lan. Here it is:

G’Lan class Assault Cruiser:
Colossal III Spacecraft: hp 625; DV 8 (-12 size, +10 agility); DR 19; Spd-; Acc 4; Dcc 2; Han +3; Sensor +3; Stealth 18; SQ Jump Point, Long-Ranged; Cargo 22,000lbs.; 2 Officers, 13 Pilots, 6 Sensor Operators, 18 Crewmen (39 total)

Weapons:
Two Heavy Laser Cannons; Boresight front; Attack +3 (targeting computer); Damage 50+5d10; Critical 19-20; Range 5
Two Twin-Linked Light Pulse Cannons; 1 front, 1 rear; Attack +3 (targeting computer); Damage 10+2d6; Critical 20; Range 3; Rapid Fire
Two Twin-Linked Particle Arrays; 1 front, 1 rear; Attack +3 (targeting computer); Damage 25+2d10; Critical 20; Range 2
Superheavy Gauss Cannon; front; Attack +3 (targeting computer); Damage 100+10d10; Critical *; Range 3; Only fires every other turn
Two Ion Torpedo Launchers; front; Attack +3 (targeting computer); Damage 30+3d10; Critical 20*; Range 8; Burst Radius 2

* The Superheavy Gauss Cannon scores one automatic critical hit.
** Ion Torpedoes score two critical hits every time a critical hit is confirmed with them. This does not affect ships caught in the blast radius, just ships targeted with them.

Craft
6 Gorith fighters, 2 Shuttles

Description: The G’Lan was designed by followers of the Prophet G’Lan after the War of Retribution and the exodus of the Centuari from Nar’Shal to help restore the Narn fleets to strength and Honor. It starts with the same hull as a G’Quon to simplify on design and construction. The designers felt the G’Lan could be made more powerful than either the G’Quon or G’Quonth by changing the weapons package. The decision was made not to fire link the main Heavy laser cannons to allow them to fire independently, the Energy Mine system was replaced with two Ion Torpedo launchers (as on the G’Quonth). The final touch was to gut almost half of the hanger to install a Superheavy Gauss Cannon. The remaining hanger space is dedicated to the standard compliment of shuttles and a flight of fighters. The Gorith medium fighter was used for the G’Lan because of it’s lower cost and superior speed and maneuverability which is a boon against Centuari Sentri fighters.

I'd make the Superheavy Gauss Cannon boresight given it's occupying the hanger space in effect, but beyond that seems like an okay post war refit/rebuild.

I'd also call it an Attack Cruiser rather than an Assault Cruiser as it isn't primarily for deployment of troops into a combat zone, and it's most definately a ship killer.

Incidentally, AOG also had a G'Quan variant called the G'Lan

This reduced the hanger size, downgraded the Heavy Lasers to Medium Lasers, and replaced the Energy Mines with a pair of Mag Guns (were these listed in the Narn Fact Book as the Super Heavy Gauss Cannon, I can't remember..?).

The arcs on the Mag Guns are a hard call - a literal translation should give them as forward, but then the Heavy Lasers were on the AOG design and became Boresight in the RPG... Given what they are, I'd go with Boresight, but then I'd prefer to argue for opening up the arcs on the Heavy Lasers given that matches on screen evidence...

THere is a G'Lan variant of the G'Quan in ACTA, click on the www button below my posts to go to my Shipviewer. Comparing the stats to the base G'Quan might help you with your conversion.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
THere is a G'Lan variant of the G'Quan in ACTA, click on the www button below my posts to go to my Shipviewer. Comparing the stats to the base G'Quan might help you with your conversion.

That's the bunny (it's definately based on the AOG one) - They went with Forward on the Mag Guns :shock:

Fair do's I suppose.

For the sake of conversion, the ACtA arcs are directly equivalent to the RPG ones - you just need to de-agregate the weapons which is not a straight forward task if you're not familiar with B5 Wars, the RPG and ACtA. Brand new ACtA designs are a different kettle of fish...

I will download your ship viewer and chack that out...I didn't know there was allready a G'Lan varient of the G'Quon out there. I will take a look. Abd I will change my design to an Attack cruiser since you are right that it makes more sense. Thanks.

you're right, that is an interesting version. I may use it instead of what I came up with and re-name mine.

EricRoss said:
you're right, that is an interesting version. I may use it instead of what I came up with and re-name mine.

I'd keep the G'Lan name, just add a suffix as yours would be the "true" cruiser dedicated to G'Lan IYSWIM rather than the other upstart :)

frobisher said:
I'd keep the G'Lan name, just add a suffix as yours would be the "true" cruiser dedicated to G'Lan IYSWIM rather than the other upstart :)
:rolleyes:

Where'd you get the idea for a superheavy gauss cannon anyway? What piece of wargear did it come from? :? :?:

The Cheat said:
frobisher said:
:rolleyes:

Where'd you get the idea for a superheavy gauss cannon anyway? What piece of wargear did it come from? :? :?:

The Narn Regime Fact Book, page 135. Of course if you would spend more time reading the B5 RPG books that Mongoose has released instead of trying to trash the system and my idea's you might have known that. Just goes to show how much stock I should place in your opinion...none.

I have done my best to convert the G'Lan from the shipviewer on your link LBH (thanks for that) and have renamed my design the G'Lanth Attack Cruiser. Here they both are:

G’Lan class Heavy Cruiser:
Colossal III Spacecraft: hp 625; DV 8 (-12 size, +10 agility); DR 19; Spd-; Acc 4; Dcc 2; Han +3; Sensor +3; Stealth 18; SQ Jump Point, Long-Ranged; Cargo 22,000lbs.; 2 Officers, 13 Pilots, 6 Sensor Operators, 18 Crewmen (39 total)

Weapons:
Twin-Linked Medium Laser Cannon; Boresight front; Attack +3 (targeting computer); Damage 50+4d10; Critical 19-20; Range 6
Two Twin-Linked Light Pulse Cannons; 1 front, 1 rear; Attack +3 (targeting computer); Damage 10+2d6; Critical 20; Range 3; Rapid Fire
Two Twin-Linked Particle Arrays; 1 front, 1 rear; Attack +3 (targeting computer); Damage 25+2d10; Critical 20; Range 2
Twob Mag guns; boresight front; Attack +3 (targeting computer); Damage 10+9d10; Critical 20; Range 4

Craft
12 Frazi fighters, 2 Shuttles

G’Lanth class Attack Cruiser:

Weapons:
Two Heavy Laser Cannons; Boresight front; Attack +3 (targeting computer); Damage 50+5d10; Critical 19-20; Range 5
Superheavy Gauss Cannon; boresight front; Attack +3 (targeting computer); Damage 100+10d10; Critical *; Range 3; Only fires every other turn
Two Ion Torpedo Launchers; front; Attack +3 (targeting computer); Damage 30+3d10; Critical 20*; Range 8; Burst Radius 2

* The Superheavy Gauss Cannon scores one automatic critical hit.
** Ion Torpedoes score two critical hits every time a critical hit is confirmed with them. This does not affect ships caught in the blast radius, just ships targeted with them.

Craft
6 Gorith fighters, 2 Shuttles

Description: The G’Lanth was designed by followers of the Prophet G’Lan after the War of Retribution and the exodus of the Centuari from Nar’Shal to help restore the Narn fleets to strength and Honor. It starts with the same hull as a G’Quon to simplify construction and design. The designers felt the G’Lanth could be made more powerful than either the G’Quon or G’Quonth by changing the weapons package. The decision was made not to fire link the main Heavy laser cannons to allow them to fire independently, the Energy Mine system was replaced with two Ion Torpedo launchers (as on the G’Quonth). The final touch was to gut almost half of the hanger to install a Superheavy Gauss Cannon. The remaining hanger space is dedicated to the standard compliment of shuttles and a flight of fighters. The Gorith medium fighter was used for the G’Lanth because of it’s lower cost and superior speed and maneuverability which is a boon against Centuari Sentri fighters.

EricRoss said:
The Narn Regime Fact Book, page 135. Of course if you would spend more time reading the B5 RPG books that Mongoose has released instead of trying to trash the system and my idea's you might have known that. Just goes to show how much stock I should place in your opinion...none.
I was asking where, so that I might look it up. As I suspected, it does not appear in any published ship. The Narn do not use matter weaponry in fleet action, so I was understandibly curious. Incidently, my book was mis-bound, and several pages are out of order.

As it is, your conversion is illegal.
"Following the War of Retribution, an enraged Narn fleet - what was left of it - begain experimenting with mass drivers as a form of ironic justice. While the mass drivers are typically too slow to be of any real use in tactical space combat, the Narn military science community discovered how to scale one down and fit it with an ammunition feed that greatly sped up its rate of fire and projectile velocity. These superheavy gauss cannons can be retrofitted on any Bin'Tak Dreadnought or G'Quan Cruiser.

Doing so replaces a heavy laser cannon (twin-linked weapons count as one and are both removed for one superheavy gauss cannon in exchange) and only one of these energy hungry weapons can be fired each round due to power constraints. In addition, a superheavy gauss cannon takes one full round to recharge and cannot be fired again untill it does so.

Superheavy Gauss Cannon; Same Arc; Attack+* (based on targeting computer); Damage 100+10d10; Critical: 1 automatic critical per hit; Range 3.

Stats for the G'Quan.

Colossal III Spacecraft; hp 625; DV 8 (-12 size, +10 agility); DR19; Spd-; Acc4: Dec2: Han+3: Sensor+3; Stealth18: Special Qualities: Jump Point, Long-Ranged: Cargo 22,000lbs.; 2 Officers, 3 Pilots, 6 Sensor Operators, 10 Crewmen.
Weapons
Twin-linked Heavy Laser Cannon; Boresight; Attack+3 (targeting computer); Damage 60+6d10; Critical 19-20; Range 5.
Energy Mine; Boresight; Attack+3 (targeting computer); Damage 25+2d10; Critical 20; Range 2.
Two twin-linked Particle Arrays; Front, Rear; Attack +3 (targeting computer); Damage 25+2d10; Critical 20; Range 2.
Two twin-linked Light Pulse Cannon; Front, Rear; Attack +3(targeting computer); Damage 10+2d6; Critical 20; Range 3; Rapid Fire.

Craft (1):
12 Frazi Fighters
2 Shuttles

As it is it's fucking ridiculious. Absurd. 20 tons of Cargo on a ship 1,400 meters long? A crew of 21? Light Pulse Cannons longer ranged than twin-arrays? Missing an entire E-Mine Launcher and 2 Twin-Arrays? 12 Frazis and 10 fething pilots? :roll:

For the proper, legal ship, here:

G'Sten (lost the war)/T'Narl (last living warmaster) Class Strike Cruiser (user's choice, really)

Colossal III Spacecraft; hp 625; DV 8 (-12 size, +10 agility); DR19; Spd-; Acc4: Dec2: Han+3: Sensor+3; Stealth18: Special Qualities: Jump Point, Long-Ranged: Cargo 1,200,000lbs.; 30 Officers, 18 Pilots, 8 Sensor Operators, 300 Crewmen.
Weapons
Superheavy Gaus Cannon; Boresight; Attack+3 (targeting computer); Damage 100+10d10; Critical: 1 automatic critical per hit; Range 3
Four twin-linked Particle Arrays; Front, Rear; Attack +3 (targeting computer); Damage 25+2d10; Critical 20; Range 2.
2 Energy Mines; Boresight; Attack+3 (targeting computer); Damage 25+2d10; Critical 20; Range 2.
Two twin-linked Light Pulse Cannon; Front, Rear; Attack +3(targeting computer); Damage 10+2d6; Critical 20; Range 2; Rapid Fire.

Craft (1):
12 Frazi Fighters
2 Shuttles

EricRoss said:
I have done my best to convert the G'Lan from the shipviewer on your link LBH (thanks for that) and have renamed my design the G'Lanth Attack Cruiser. Here they both are:

G’Lan class Heavy Cruiser:

Weapons:
Twin-Linked Medium Laser Cannon; Boresight front; Attack +3 (targeting computer); Damage 50+4d10; Critical 19-20; Range 6
Mag gun; boresight front; Attack +3 (targeting computer); Damage 10+9d10; Critical 20; Range 4

Craft
12 Frazi fighters, 2 Shuttles

It should definately have two Mag guns BTW. ACtA agregated weapon systems into single systems compared to the RPG and B5Wars, plus, and this is quite important, ships are "fixed" to fit a particular combat value. The AOG G'Lan is a nasty, nasty cruiser which has superior crunch to a G'Quan. The ACtA G'Lan, by the nature of the balancing scheme is the same as a G'Quan (ish).

EricRoss said:

You're welcome, I'm just hosting a mirror of Obsidian's Ship Viewer, I haven't added all the new stuff to mine yet.

LBH

Back