Free Epic Campaign - The Pirates of Drinax

Just got the PDF, and part two is now up on the site - are you ready for Treasure Ship..?

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/traveller/adventures-and-campaigns/campaign-2-the-pirates-of-drinax.html

And that's what the ship looks like (alas not room enough for it)

Attachments

• treasure_ship.jpg
    treasure_ship.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 4,346
The link to Treasure Ship is now broken.

EDIT: The top link to Treasure Ship is broken, the bottom link is fine.

Reading now. Looking fantastic. One thing I noticed is in the NPC Crew Roster, it states that crew with italicised names are given further write-ups, but none have their names in italics.

The Rumours table does not have false rumours in italics, as stated in the text on the next page.

All in all, great book.

Very interesting.
I will use the idea behind the ship for sure.
(probably I will have it long crashed in some asteroid field with vault still unpenetrated)

And while first part was best free adventure I ever saw, material was quite specific to the adventure itself.
This one is more open, which is great thing.

Only statblock seems randomly generated..
INT 4 for captain ? Even for idiotic moron its a bit harsh. Literacy is quite basic skill for starship captain :>

But chance i will use statblock are very slim (especial captain's INT but i rarely use stat blocks at all) so its pure aesthetic remark :)

PS: And if adding great ship art mr middenface done to a document itself is possible it would be a blast .

AWu said:
INT 4 for captain ? Even for idiotic moron its a bit harsh. Literacy is quite basic skill for starship captain :>

Remember, this is not a D&D-type scale, and Int 4 does not mean a moron. Not top drawer, I grant you, but it certainly could happen (think of some of the British officers in Sharpe, say, and you'll get how to play the Captain :)).

I must say. What I've seen so far is quite good. Kudos to Gareth Hanrahan & all the Mongoose staff! Both for working on what appears to be a great campaign. And allowing it to be a free download.

And to show that good deeds don't go unrewarded.. I just ordered the Alien Module 1:Aslan & the Trojan Reach Map pack. Both things I probably would not have picked up were it not for this campaign. (I've always been more of a Spinward Marches guy) And I have one player eyeing Book 8: Dilettante & another looking at Book 6: Scoundrels.

My only complaint, I do wish the release schedule was a little more regular. I'm concerned I might get started on this campaign & out-run it. I do have some side adventures that I can fit into the Trojan Reach setting, which should fill up some space. (pardon the pun) But it would be crushing to my players if we got half-way through & ran out of material.

So keep up the hard work! I can't wait to see Adventure 3!

Keep in mind that the campaign is intended to be fleshed out with additional adventures by GM rather than played straight through. Each group's experience will be different based on group interest. Between published modules players could (and should) be off looting prizes, upgrading their ship (or replacing it with a better one), and building up their reputation with the other planets by spending money, selling cargos, gifting unneeded ships/goods/infrastructure upgrades, etc.

Looking ahead to where the campaign seems to be headed, the PCs are going to need as many allies, ships and worlds on their side as possible. Building a pirate fleet like the big three on Theev would probably be a good idea. Also building up the planetary navies of friendly planets with extra starships, building the subsector economies by encouraging trade and/or hunting down the worst raiders (an odd job for a pirate, I agree) and making the most of any opportunities for interplanetary diplomacy they can find.

In short, in order to make Drinax a viable imperial power they need to act like it already is and make the other local planetary governments see it as such. The PCs must get the local planets to acknowledge Dranix as a power before the Imperium ever will. You should be able to keep the PCs running around quite effectively; several of the side jobs listed at the end of the modules could easily expand into adventures requiring several sessions to complete. There should be so many things that need doing that being diverted from their activities by needing to respond to events in the published modules is almost an unwanted distraction.

Just started reading this stuff, its quite nice and makes me want to play or run some traveller with my friends!

That said, one thing I noted about Adventure 2: Treasure ship, and something that could be an issue with the player/pirate group in general is that, assuming you're following the campaign and not using it as a stand-alone adventure, the PC are flying a very noticable ship. I mean if they had an Suleiman Scout or a standard hulled Far/Free Trader they won't get too many odd looks, but how often do you see a Drinaxian Harrier? :shock:

You'd think when such a harrier lands at Arunsiir near the Treasure ship the someone around there might realize "hey that is an incredibly rare ship there... hasn't one of those been causing all sorts of piratical havoc in the Trojan Reach lately?"

GalagaGalaxian said:
That said, one thing I noted about Adventure 2: Treasure ship, and something that could be an issue with the player/pirate group in general is that, assuming you're following the campaign and not using it as a stand-alone adventure, the PC are flying a very noticable ship. I mean if they had an Suleiman Scout or a standard hulled Far/Free Trader they won't get too many odd looks, but how often do you see a Drinaxian Harrier? :shock:

You'd think when such a harrier lands at Arunsiir near the Treasure ship the someone around there might realize "hey that is an incredibly rare ship there... hasn't one of those been causing all sorts of piratical havoc in the Trojan Reach lately?"

They don't have to be flying that ship, it's not a requirement...

True, but they probably are, unless they've been quite proactive with expanding their fleet (a definite possibility).

Then again maybe many people would prefer to ditch the battered thing in favor of the first decent tonnage ship they can steal and kit out as a pirate ship. Or maybe save up to purchase or commission a whole ship on Theev, does Theev do custom ship designs? (Of course it does, its Theev!)

Back