Free Epic Campaign - The Pirates of Drinax

To date, we've been privilidged that Mongoose have been acting as patrons to Gareth for developing both Campaigns and then releasing the individual chapters, albeit at intervals, for free. However, given recent comments regarding the poor state of the RPG sector and the inherent costs involved in writing and producing the copy, would it be more appropriate if the rest of campaign 2 were published in book format.

This would allow Mongoose to amortise the writing and production costs across all copies of the campaign book, rather than having to initially absorb them as each chapter is released then hope that enough people will buy the physical book to at least break even...

Additionally, a print deadline might mean that Gareth completes the outstanding chapters for a release in x months time, rather than having 3-4 months between installments.

delrom5 said:
Additionally, a print deadline might mean that Gareth completes the outstanding chapters for a release in x months time, rather than having 3-4 months between installments.

It's not just Gareth though, still goes through editing and the like even after it's written.

delrom5 said:
To date, we've been privilidged that Mongoose have been acting as patrons to Gareth for developing both Campaigns and then releasing the individual chapters, albeit at intervals, for free. However, given recent comments regarding the poor state of the RPG sector and the inherent costs involved in writing and producing the copy, would it be more appropriate if the rest of campaign 2 were published in book format.

It is certainly an idea but, for Drinax at least, we said it would be released for free, and we will continue to do so.

msprange said:
delrom5 said:

It is certainly an idea but, for Drinax at least, we said it would be released for free, and we will continue to do so.
Well... whenever I've used Mongoose' Traveller freebies (e.g. some campaign books, Signs & Portents) I've tended to use the electronic version. As soon as the paper version becomes available, I buy that :)

IanBruntlett said:
Well... whenever I've used Mongoose' Traveller freebies (e.g. some campaign books, Signs & Portents) I've tended to use the electronic version. As soon as the paper version becomes available, I buy that :)

And it is much appreciated :)

msprange said:
delrom5 said:

...which is very noble. However, that promise was made in less turbulent times. So would Traveller players prefer to have the first third of a campaign but see Mongoose go broke, or help to see Mongoose survive the current hard times?

If there is to be a change of policy, ie what was initially released for free becomes a paid for product, or books only being released through the Drive Thru (as e-books) or the web site (as PODs), then as long as those changes are honestly stated then I believe that there will be understanding as to the change of policy.

However, this is a two way street, and any web store exclusives, as they don't have the distributor and retail overheads should be discounted somewhat - perhaps a higher overhead for Mongoose, but not the 60% factor for retail and distribution. There needs to be a two way consensus on this...

Additionally, a print deadline might mean that Gareth completes the outstanding chapters for a release in x months time, rather than having 3-4 months between installments.[/quote]

It's not just Gareth though, still goes through editing and the like even after it's written.

Which was mentioned by the term "writing and production," ie the proofreading, editing, art etc.

Firstly just to qualify - While I have read a few bits here and there on those sort of topics, I certainly don't pretend to know the ins and outs of the publishing or RPG markets, so part of this post should be read with that in mind.

I read the initial parts of the campaign and very much liked what I saw. An over arching plot, with "scripted" adventures to fit it, and a whole big free-wheeling bunch of sandbox to fill the rest of it. Seemed ideal for how I percieve traveller. Something a little different from the classic firefly-esque far trader type campaigns but still with that open universe, "do what thou wilt" feel. I eagerly awaited the installments, but became a little disheartened at the pace of their release. I guess I'm not the only one.

Please do not take this as a dig at mongoose or any of the people involved in the campaign's creation, I really don't mean it that way. I appreciate most RPG companies, even the biggest industry stalwarts, are small affairs as far as staffing, cash flow and so forth goes. It's the very fact that I've loved what's been released so far that made me write this post.

As mentioned by delrom5, I do think your wanting to hold to the promise of a free release is a fine thing, but if it means a release schedule at roughly the current rate, I'd much rather be able to throw some cash towards it in some shape or form to see the excellent promise of this campaign realised.

parpy said:
As mentioned by delrom5, I do think your wanting to hold to the promise of a free release is a fine thing, but if it means a release schedule at roughly the current rate, I'd much rather be able to throw some cash towards it in some shape or form to see the excellent promise of this campaign realised.

That is very much appreciated but, to be honest, the best thing you could do is if you have been humming and harring about whether to pick up any Traveller books, is to go ahead and do it - the proceeds will go towards Drinax :)

Buying Alien Module 1: Aslan (which includes the Trojan Reach) and the Scoundrel book (Book 6) and maybe Merchant Prince (Book 7) would be a good idea.

Also Supplement 2: Traders and Gunboats as well as Supplement 10: Merchants and Cruisers gives you lots of targets and competition.

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
Buying Alien Module 1: Aslan (which includes the Trojan Reach) a

Not to sound completely self-serving, but I always thought too many people skipped past Aslan because they thought it was just about the aliens - and the Trojan Reach is such a cool place to set games.

Whole reason we set Drinax there :)

...to be honest, the best thing you could do is if you have been humming and harring about whether to pick up any Traveller books, is to go ahead and do it - the proceeds will go towards Drinax :)

Unless you have already purchased all of the books to date...

delrom5 said:
...to be honest, the best thing you could do is if you have been humming and harring about whether to pick up any Traveller books, is to go ahead and do it - the proceeds will go towards Drinax :)

Unless you have already purchased all of the books to date...

Yeah, and are waiting for Deneb and Solomani to hit distributors.

LBH

Got one :)

We are expecting to see the manuscript just before Christmas. It will be tight but if the art requirements are not too severe, we will fast track it and get this out to you before the holiday. Otherwise, very early January!

msprange said:
Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
Aslan (which includes the Trojan Reach)
Whole reason we set Drinax there :)
The sector information is the only reason why I bought the Aslan module. The place has held my attention ever since the original CT Spinward Marches and the Leviathan adventure.

I have started the game and I am generally happy with the setup.
The problem is that very quickly the players move to systems that are not in the available Library Data.
Mine jumped to Pourne immediately, and that's not to be detailed until Adventure 6.
So.. do I say 'you can't go there' or "it's all non specific"?
No. I detail the system, and whatever Gareth writes will have to match with that. Now I suspect that at this rate I will have detailed 2 subsectors and finished my campaign before the full adventure is published.
So.. what I'd like is for Mongoose to publish the basic Library Data for the systems that will play a role in the campaign. Heck, I'll even contribute mine.

One other issues. Some of my players went 'hooray, pirating!'
Some said "what, a 200 tonne ship?"

The split between ambition and reality on Drinax is awesome, the basic SDB squadron at Pourne (generated using Megatraveller) was 4 100t serpent cutters. They could have ripped the Drinaxi bird in two before it had even got in-system.

However I am addressing that. I think the warbird is a ships boat for the MOTHERSHIP.

Here's some logos for you to use if you run the game.

http://gamingtavern.eu/tav/images/logos/

Back