Free Epic Campaign - The Pirates of Drinax

Yeah, Theev can do Corsairs and other pirate designs.

The Harrier's distinctive appearance is definitely a liability. Of course, you've got to trade that off against TL15 construction and all those advanced features.

Well having had a good look at what we have so far and considered it from a player’s point of view I would be grabbing ships left and right.

Any ship not crippled when we took it would be flown off whenever possible. Expand the harrier’s crew and pack in as many people as possible for prize crews.

Then use the harrier for raids and a steadily expanding fleet to carry the stolen cargos to sale, go in with the harrier for fighting and a Subby to take the loot after boarding. You can put 20 people on the Subby, thats a decent sized boarding team and a few skilled looters. With cross skills you have a prize crew as well.

With half a dozen people looting the cargo onto your ship through the cargo hatch you can shift 1Dton a minute; the boarding squad can grab the passenger’s personal treasure one passenger per minute then spend 10 or 20 minutes to clear out the stores and ships supplies.
Things like the safe are too slow unless you take the ship.

You will need a lot of good intel to be successful at this. If a ship is crippled during your attack you loot it fast and leave. If its drives are intact then put the prize crew aboard and take it. Hit ships that are heading out since they are moving away from the security types and will have full fuel tanks. Though you have to be quick or they will jump to safety.

Have some civilian ships doing legal runs, identify ships that are crew owned, ships that are company owned etc. Once you get a rep for taking ships if the crew are owners they will fight harder. On the other hand the company owned ships are unlikely to fight to the death to protect a company ship.

You will need to develop a reputation for being ruthless under certain circumstances.
When the harrier lights up its drives and active sensors to lock a target then orders the ship to heave to “Or Else” the target ship’s crew needs to understand that crippling their ship or fighting back will result in them being executed. On the other hand if they cut drives, surrender the ship and perform no sabotage or do nothing to resist you then they will be treated well and released unharmed. Aside from fanatics few people will die to protect a ship owned by a bunch of fat cat directors who have never been in danger in their pampered lives, a few thousand credits a month isn’t worth dying for to protect the profit of people on a hundred times your salary.

This is where good intel comes in and a decent ground agent on many worlds is well worth the cost. Having even a partial list of ships so you can see who is heading out and identify the crew, ownership status and company loyalty changes the target list and allows you to pick the ones that are less likely to fight. Plus ships may arrive at random times but departures are fixed. A ship may jump in across a period of ours and you cannot linger that long. On the other hand a ship with a 15 minute take off window is much easier to anticipate and hit. :twisted:

Plus a few bribes to get general cargo lists for ships. Never hit the “Too good to be true, vast fortune being moved secretly” cargos, they are pirate hunter traps :lol:

Once you know who the crew owned ships are either avoid them or just loot them and let them go, if they heave to and do not resist just take the cargo and passengers valuables. Again once word spreads that you only steal company ships and simply loot and leave crew owned ships then the resistance levels will drop a bit.

You can also hide what you are doing somewhat. If you are mostly hitting the ships from a select group of companies across 6 or 8 worlds you can also spread rumours its a trade war and set up other companies to be blamed. Or maybe work with smaller companies to buy the loot while they are able to expand into the areas left by the large companies you are hitting. After all a big part of this adventure is making friends to support the returned Kingdom. :wink:

So it is now July, a month gone by and no new anything. At this pace mongoose will lose the Traveller license before they finish it. Yes I know it is free. but, I would rather they just went ahead and finished it and sold it. This draging it out forever is a real downer.

owen

Part three (Ihatei!) is now up;

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/traveller/adventures-and-campaigns/campaign-2-the-pirates-of-drinax.html

After months of hard work we pirates have built up a sizable pirate force, we have 7 ships or armed small craft under our command plus others we have gifted.

Several worlds are now friendly, we have a trade alliance with several small companies and are building a nice reputation. A couple of larger companies are either paying us protection money or prepared to officially recognize the Kingdom in return for us not raiding them every day.

We made enough loot from the treasure ship to place an order for a bigger raider which is building now plus we sold all that stuff that was of no use due to (censored) to some of those Aslan Slavers then let the Imperium know they had been behind the raid on the treasure ship, they were caught red handed with the (censored) goods and we even got a reward :twisted:

Things are looking good. We are well on the way to achieving success.

THE ASLAN ARE COMING, THE ASLAN ARE COMING. ITS AN IHATEI :shock:

Oh crappppppp. :roll: :wink:

So does this mean they'll queue up to laugh at the Lion King?

Get engrossed with that cartoon series involving Sylvester and Tweetie Bird?

Or will they want to get revenge for the release of the Wing Commander computer game?

Or will they take notes...?

Hmm Planetsplitter bomb... what are power rangers? one mentally notes as others snatch off copies of Batman the animated Series and Batman Brave and the Bold...

Message.

To: Trader Rachando.

Please investigate import possibilities. 2000Dtons Catnip. Required urgently.

Are we safe assume this latest campaign is dead as there has been no update for two months and no further comment or reply from Mongoose?

I hope not. The average appears to be about 3 1/2 months between installments. I've just gotten a group past character generation and into the ship, and look forward to a lot more.

Absolutely not dead! Talking to Gareth about the next installment right now and, indeed, the campaign _after_ this one!

Could we have some more planet thumbnails. I don't mind waiting for the bug adventures but I need some stuff on more systems so I don't create a version of my own that Gareth will differ from.

tzunder said:
Could we have some more planet thumbnails. I don't mind waiting for the bug adventures but I need some stuff on more systems so I don't create a version of my own that Gareth will differ from.

I second that motion.

Back