Excel Traveller Trade

Amazing tool! But shouldn’t there be an opposing Broker Skill as well as negative Sale and Purchase DMs attributes? Sorry if I missed something on the spreadsheet or rulebook, I’m new to the system.

Amazing tool! But shouldn’t there be an opposing Broker Skill as well as negative Sale and Purchase DMs attributes? Sorry if I missed something on the spreadsheet or rulebook, I’m new to the system.
No opposing rolls. Assuming you have the update 2022 core book, p241 for speculative trade. Freight is just available in the quantities rolled up and no need for broker skill check. Know that the DM for type of star port already calculated in the sheet.

As for speculative trade for the prices the seller (or buyers) broker skill is to be applied. (at the moment not access to the sheet as i on work's computer) if I remember correct was some field where you could fill that in and price would be adjusted accordingly.

It seems that I forgot to include a spot for vendor broker skill.
All other DMs are figured in by selecting buy or sell locations.
Until I get around to adding that, the broker skill with mods field would be where that goes, with opposing broker subtracting from PC skill as a mod. Original intention was skill plus attribute mod for that field, so skill plus attribute mod minus vendor broker skill now.

Note that any changes going forward will probably need to be a collaboration with deHap, so multi-sector functionality is retained.

For speculative trade it should be broker skill vs. broker skill DMs but neither gets an attribute DM. Two reasons:
1: If you have INT DM+2 you pretty much automatically get rich over time even with just Broker-1.
2: That way you don't have to roll up stats on the opposing broker, just assign a skill level.

It seems that I forgot to include a spot for vendor broker skill.
All other DMs are figured in by selecting buy or sell locations.
Until I get around to adding that, the broker skill with mods field would be where that goes, with opposing broker subtracting from PC skill as a mod. Original intention was skill plus attribute mod for that field, so skill plus attribute mod minus vendor broker skill now.

Note that any changes going forward will probably need to be a collaboration with deHap, so multi-sector functionality is retained.
I can have a look this weekend, if I can add that field.

Thanks for clarifying the Broker aspect. I have the newest update an I am trying to get some clarification on these part of the Speculatice Trade - Determining Purchase Price on pg243:

–any DM from the Sale DM column.

So for example when buying Common Electronics on a Non-Industrial Planet the Purchase DM should recieve an additional -2 in addition to all other modifications. Similarly, Selling Common Electronics on a Industrial planet would also have a -2.

Is this correct? Looking over the Trade_20230616 spreadsheet I can't see anything that indicates this was calculated.

Thanks for clarifying the Broker aspect. I have the newest update an I am trying to get some clarification on these part of the Speculatice Trade - Determining Purchase Price on pg243:

So for example when buying Common Electronics on a Non-Industrial Planet the Purchase DM should recieve an additional -2 in addition to all other modifications. Similarly, Selling Common Electronics on a Industrial planet would also have a -2.

Is this correct? Looking over the Trade_20230616 spreadsheet I can't see anything that indicates this was calculated.
Yes, that's correct.

This is included in the planet definition.
When you select a planet, the buy and sell modifiers are included.

I see the positive buy and sell modifiers, but shouldn't there also be negatives like Geir said?

For example, assuming your Broker skill is 2 and the vendor is also 2 they cancel each other out. On Glisten (As Hi In Na Va Cp) buying Common Electronics would recieve a +2 from Industrial and +3 from High-tech for +5 Buy DM. I can see that on the spreadsheet.

When trying to sell Common Electronics on Glisten the spreadsheet says +0 Sell DM, as Glisten in FALSE for Non-Industrial +2, Low Tech +1, Poor +1. The rulebook says the Purchase column of the Trade Good should also be applied, representing supply and demand. Should the spreadsheet return a value of -5 Sell DM for Common Electronics on Glisten?

I see the positive buy and sell modifiers, but shouldn't there also be negatives like Geir said?

For example, assuming your Broker skill is 2 and the vendor is also 2 they cancel each other out. On Glisten (As Hi In Na Va Cp) buying Common Electronics would recieve a +2 from Industrial and +3 from High-tech for +5 Buy DM. I can see that on the spreadsheet.

When trying to sell Common Electronics on Glisten the spreadsheet says +0 Sell DM, as Glisten in FALSE for Non-Industrial +2, Low Tech +1, Poor +1. The rulebook says the Purchase column of the Trade Good should also be applied, representing supply and demand. Should the spreadsheet return a value of -5 Sell DM for Common Electronics on Glisten?
If I recall correctly, you only add the largest trade DM, so just a +3 buy DM in your example on Glisten.

(I'm assuming this counts as fair use: p. 243, 2022 update)

DETERMINE PURCHASE PRICE
To determine the purchase price, roll 3D and apply the
following modifiers:
+The Traveller’s Broker skill (or the local broker’s skill)
+any DM from the Purchase DM column
–any DM from the Sale DM column
–the supplier’s Broker skill (this is assumed to be
Broker 2, but may vary)
In cases where multiple Purchase or Sale DMs apply,
use only the largest from each column.

Selling goods works just like purchasing goods, with
the following changes. A Traveller must find a buyer,
instead of a supplier. The same rules apply.
When selling goods, add the Sale DMs for the world’s
Trade codes and subtract the Purchase DMs. Deduct
the purchaser's Broker skill (this is assumed to be
Broker 2, but may vary).

So it would be DM+3 in that example on the purchase and DM-3 on the sale.
For the most part, this works fine. Radioactives may break it a bit...

Updated version.
Speculative trade prices are now calculated with DM:
buying: broker skill (PC) + highest buy modifier - highest sell modifier - broker skill (Seller)
selling: broker skill (PC) - highest buy modifier + highest sell modifier - broker skill (Buyer)

While not RAW. I didn't change, if selecting black market option, it uses streetwise skill instead of broker skill.

Attachments

• Trade_20230923.zip
    355.3 KB · Views: 40
Is there a source or centralized thread anywhere for additional sectors? I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done all of the legwork and created the necessary entries for another sector. If there is not, would this be considered an appropriate thread to post these? In case anyone's already done the work, I'm looking for the Hinterworlds sector. I'll probably try doing it myself if I don't hear anything.

deHap changed the sheet to work in multiple sectors. I have not had time to dig into the changes yet, and since my group has exclusively played in the Spinward Marches since the early eighties, his action removed the pressure for me to look into it further. This would be an appropriate spot for that data, since this is the only thread related to this spreadsheet..

Is there a source or centralized thread anywhere for additional sectors? I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done all of the legwork and created the necessary entries for another sector. If there is not, would this be considered an appropriate thread to post these? In case anyone's already done the work, I'm looking for the Hinterworlds sector. I'll probably try doing it myself if I don't hear anything.
The data for Hinterworlds is available from TravellerMap.com. You should be able to download the data and copy/paste as described upthread.

Essentially download the data from TravellerMap.com and then still have some work to import and shuffle all data on the right positions. I did save the RAW data in to an .txt file and import that to a clean workbook in excel with fixed column with. That way you can straight away make separate columns for the UWP data. Make sure you import the hex-data as text else excel removes the leading 0. If interested, I can write detail instructions tomorrow evening or day after.

Thanks! Everybody! I will give that a try this week. If it works, I'll post a spreadsheet with just the two tabs for Hinterworlds in case anyone else wanted to use it. I wouldn't say no to detailed instructions, but also don't want you to go out of your way to write them up either. If you've got time and inclination, great, but if not, also great. Thanks again! Wish me luck! ;)

Thanks! Everybody! I will give that a try this week. If it works, I'll post a spreadsheet with just the two tabs for Hinterworlds in case anyone else wanted to use it. I wouldn't say no to detailed instructions, but also don't want you to go out of your way to write them up either. If you've got time and inclination, great, but if not, also great. Thanks again! Wish me luck! ;)
At the moment working in the middle of the ocean, still one month to go. So not much to do after work time anyway.

Back