Drahk, because first impressions last!!

Drahktatic!

• Too Strong - Oh waily waily, how will I beat that GEG

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too weak - did they make the hulls from swiss cheese?

• About right - they seem perfectly balanced and i'm very happy with them.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

H

Cosmic Mongoose
So then, several people have the drahk book, or have read the stats on various pages, how do they strike you?
This is of course stat wise, we won't mention the uninspired slug look!

we spent a lot of time playtesting the Drakh to make sure they were balanced so they should be right, it does require different tactics to defeat Drakh than against most other races but as soon as you crack that then they fall as fast as any other race

well, I have to say surprised so far at the way it's going. but good to see people think it's balanced. Makes a nice change :)
And I would have thought it was obvious how to defeat drakh. a super ap beam hitting on 2!! or 3 on a cruiser! I ran a quick test last night, mothership and 3 raiders downed in 3 turns by an octurion.. It is possible that the remaining raiders could have finished it off, but i ran out of time!

those of us mere mortals (aka americans) don't have retail access to book as yet...wanna hold off on polls for them a bit?

Pauly_D said:
we spent a lot of time playtesting the Drakh to make sure they were balanced so they should be right, it does require different tactics to defeat Drakh than against most other races but as soon as you crack that then they fall as fast as any other race

I have heard a very similar quotation before somewhere. Try substituting "Drakh" with "Minbari". :?

Not saying that I disagree with you, just that playtesting in a development setting doesn't always translate to balanced results once the fleet is released into the wild.

apologies to the colonials :) I don't think a GEG is worth a whole hull point, but I have to play them first, my first opinion is that they will die horribly... but only time will tell. However I had hoped they would be a match for the minbos, but i can;t see it really

Karhedron said:
I have heard a very similar quotation before somewhere. Try substituting "Drakh" with "Minbari". :?

Not saying that I disagree with you, just that playtesting in a development setting doesn't always translate to balanced results once the fleet is released into the wild.

but that wasn't in reference to "our" Minbari Karhedron, the Minbari we playtested (ie the tournament list) I've yet to hear a single complaint about

As a yank who actually has the book. :) I would have to agree, I dont know if the GEG is worth the loss of a hull point. Really when it comes down to it, the Drahk and the Mimbari are pretty close to the same. Low hull, low damage/crew, same exact weapons(or really darn close), and the Drakh have the GEG, and the Mimbari have stealth. Who came out better. Stealth or a 1-4 point damage reduction. With stealth the big beam weapons have around a half chance of missing, and the with the GEG, the drakh get hit for still a lot of damage. I like the Drakh, I will play the Drakh, but I think they are gonna get pummelled more often than not.

Chris

As a preliminary note, I haven't played them or seen them yet - this is just initial reactions.

I think that the low hull, combined with the prevelance of Super AP beam weapons is a killer - the GEG just isn't going to provide enough of a balance. I've also got concerns about the low number of dice their weapons have (even taking into account the relevant traits). Of course this could be uncanny lack of luck. Or even averages!

However I trust the playtesters, so I look forward to seeing them go out in a blaze of glory!

I can see it like a VERY aggressive strike force

Drakh seems to need to sink fast and furiously ennemies before suffering too much damages

I will buy the fleet box the 17th april PROMISE !
8)

I think they're well balanced. anyone who practices manouvre-based warfare can beat them easily by outlfanking them. They'll be well-matched against White Stars and Drazi.

I voted them balanced. Well, I would, wouldn't I, I spent long enough fiddling with the numbers :lol:

The way to beat Drakh is, unquestionably, to use big weapons, preferably SAP Beams. But in return they are highly likely to get crits, many of which might be knocking out those SAP Beams. They are fragile Hull and Damage/Crew ships, but we found them quite survivable. They are not a race that beat down the enemy and fly off through the debris undamaged, but they can win against any force we matched them to (includi8ng a couple of War level scenarios with big ship opposition). On the other hand, they can also lose big time.

Wulf

Karhedron said:

I can't speak for the other 4 playtesters but I played so many playtest games of Drakh vs. other races it wasn't even funny. Some of the most experienced players of CTA in the world contributed to getting the Drakh right.

As far as what the fleet will play like "in the wild" there will probably be players that right away can't effectively use tactics against the Drakh. Either because the neutron cannon and GEGs freak them out so much or because they favor a style of play that is the exact opposite from the kind of tactics a good Drakh player will use. That's the way ACTA plays, every fleet is distinctive, strengths and weaknesses are very apparent. What's great about the Drakh is that they're not the Mimbari, no stealth, no self repair. I won't play the Mimbari, just not my style. I love the Drakh though.

As ACTA expands there's probably going to be more and more material that breaks the mold as far as the "standard", older fleets go. New ships, new hardware. I've had a look at Armageddon, the fleets evolve with the timeline, there's upcoming changes you probably won't expect. Probably more that's going to be different down the road too. Get used to it.

And beleive me, the GEGs are balanced. They're not some impregnable defense. It's not as tough as a good stealth rating. Not splitting fire and the CAF special action will equalize a whole lot of that. It's not the Wand of Orcus or the Hand of Vecna.

Back