Cultural Backgrounds and Professions: Doing the Math

Innerwall

Mongoose
It looks like all of the cultural backgrounds and professions in the core rule book have an even value in percentiles (70 for backgrounds and 50 for professions-- I think). I was just flipping through the Companion book and, unless I’m missing something, there’s no consistency regarding point value, and a lot of the options are in the 80-90 percentile range. Just making sure I’m reading this right.

Yes, it's 50 for professions, but some end up with a "weaker" character for some types of play.

I normally work on 90 for backgrounds plus "10" for Lore(own region) and 50 for Language(own) to give a nominal total of 150.

I'll double -check that.

Edit: Yes. 90, if you count Advanced skills at base level as "10" each. It may be that you missed the Advanced skills.

Innerwall said:
It looks like all of the cultural backgrounds and professions in the core rule book have an even value in percentiles (70 for backgrounds and 50 for professions-- I think). I was just flipping through the Companion book and, unless I’m missing something, there’s no consistency regarding point value, and a lot of the options are in the 80-90 percentile range. Just making sure I’m reading this right.
You're missing something. Advanced skills "cost" 10% each to learn at the base score. Generally
Cultural background = 100% +50% language and
Profession = +50%
Add the 100% of free choice and you get 250% worth of increases. There might be the odd deviation but I've not seen one.

Excellent. Thank you! 90 (excluding native language and regional lore, which is the same for all characters). Essentially a buck fifty.

Back