Conan Rules: Fantasy Setting

Damien

Mongoose
I originally intended to, at request of my players, run a game set in Hyboria - but a fantasy version of Hyboria's history. I didn't work on the idea an awful lot - doing other things, and over time actually convinced my players of a different theme, still using the Conan rules, but not the setting.

Here's a little write-up covering the generalities, some small rule changes, etc. I'll be using a modified version of this as a hand-out to the players. One of the players also is a GM and will, hopefully, be running his own campaign with this setting - so I can get in on the fun. Anyway, here's a write-up, thought some of you guys may be interested. . .

Setting: I decided to go with a fantasy Earth. The RP will take place in Italy, around the early-to-mid 12th century. The available races will be Italian, Greek (Byzantine), Islamic (Syrian/Egyptian), Sicilo- or Anglo-Norman (Elves), Westerners (German, French, English), Northerners (Russians, Polish).

Backstory: This is a sort of Alternate-Earth, so I've played around with some facts. For instance, the Catholic Church, while being the most prevalent religion alongside Islam, does not have significant political power. It has only just begun preaching a Crusade (so, about 50-60 years later than in real history) and isn't getting much of a response. Italy is, as usual, a confederation of independant city-states ruled over by a nominal king - who is also emperor of the German (Holy Roman) Empire. The difference being that Italy has maintained a good portion of its land as purely Italy, rather than as 'part' of the Empire. The Normans managed most of their usual conquests, but only held Normandy for a short time. However, their conquest of England is still lasting, as well as their conquests of parts of Italy. The twist is that the Normans in this world are Elves - having swept down from the forest-lands of Scandinavia. The largest difference between a Man and an Elf being minor physical attributes and lifespan (the latter having a lifespan that is almost three times longer). The mountains of Northern Italy are home to reclusive, black-skinned Dwarves with a penchant for hunting men who get too near.

The Dwarves suffered a sound defeat at the hands of the (now) Sicilo-Normans as they broke into Italy from the ruins of Normandy. Having become a relative power in Sicily, the Elves established treaties with the Dwarves, allowing passage for any caravan, military or merchant, flying Sicilian colours. The lack of a crusade means that Muslims are not presenting much influence in Western Europe. However, the Venetians are certainly feeling their influence, as the Venetians are competing with the Syrians as a merchant and military sea-power. Likewise, Byzantium is attempting to maintain control over territories that the Syrians want - which has led some Genoese (Italian) crossbowmen to sell themselves as mercenaries to the Byzantine emperor. Finally, all other Europeans can be found in and around Italy for varying reasons - the most common being Germans. There is also a fair amount of native Britains (such as Welsh and established Saxon families) in Italy as servants to the conquering Normans.

Role of the Players: As yet I'm unsure exactly how things will start. It's likely, however, to remain in Italy for awhile. The plan is to eventually have the players serve as mercenaries in Byzantium against the Saracens, or perhaps even against the Byzantines, if the players should choose to convert to Islam. Either way, I want to eventually make them fight a dragon, which means they have to go to Syria.

Races:
1.) Removed Prohibited Classes. Classes now simply need to be justified by character history. If it makes sense, the desired class is available at level 1.

2.) Racial Stats:
--Dwarf = Cimmerian
--Italian = Zingaran
--Elf = Vendhyan (Change - Weapon Familiarity: Tulwar becomes Weapon Familiarity: War Sword [as per Nordheimer])
--Greek = Meadow Shemite (Change - Weapon Familiarity: Syrian Bow [Shemite bow])
--Northerner = Nordheimer (Change - Weapon Familiarity: War Sword becomes Weapon Familiarity: Sabre)
--Westerner = Hyborian (Change - Weapon Familiarity: Greatsword removed, replace with +1 bonus to attack rolls when charging with a lance)
--Islamic = Hyrkanian (Change - Weapon Familiarity: Tulwar becomes Sabre, Weapon Familiarity: Hyrkanian Bow becomes Syrian Bow, +2 Diplomacy [etc] bonus applies in Syria and Egypt)

3.) Favoured Classs:
--Dwarf = Barbarian or Borderer
--Italian = Soldier or Pirate
--Elf = Soldier or Noble
--Greek = Scholar or Thief
--Northerner = Nomad or Borderer
--Westerner = Soldier
--Islamic = Pirate or Nomad

Classes:

1.) Noble Region Feature Changes: Vendhya replaces attack bonus with scimitar to bonus with arming sword; Shem changes to Syrian bow and broadsword bonus; Northerner added - same features as Hyboria; Hyrkania loses tulwar bonus, Hyrkanian bow replaced with Syrian bow.

2.) Scholar loses all access to Lay Priest background. While some priests may secretly be spellcasters, Christianity, Judaism and Islam deem spellcraft as evil and do not teach it to their priesthood.

3.) Multi-class options available from Hyboria's Finest. Subject to same restrictions as normal classes - gotta make sense. (Will assuredly add other books to this list as I get them.)

Weapons:

1.) Relationship between Broadsword and Arming Sword modified. Arming sword is more expensive (160 sp, broadsword falling to 115 sp). In real history swords capable of both effective cuts and thrusts replaced earlier designs which were more suited only to the cut, but had more weight to their cut. Broadswords remain fairly popular, especially among horsemen who have little need for a good thrust - but arming swords are gaining ground there as well, and are overall more useful in combat, having more options for attack.

2.) Removed Weapons: Yuetshi knife, Stiletto, Ghanata knife, Zhaibar knife, Heavy Lance, Cutlass, Pike, Pollaxe, Whip (not a weapon!), Greatsword, Tulwar, Bossonian Longbow, Hyrkanian Bow

3.) Name Changes: Arbalest becomes Windlass Crossbow, Shemite Bow becomes Syrian Bow

4.) Akbitanan weapons reduced in power. +1 attack rolls, +1 AP, 1.5 times usual Hardness and 1.5 times Hit Points. Renamed, can be either Damascus or Superior Steel.

Armour:

1.) Leather Jerkin and Quilted Jerkin switched around. Padded material garments were far more protective than leather.

2.) Quilted Jerkin renamed Gambeson. Brigandine Coat renamed Coat-of-Plates.

3.) Breastplate renamed Leather Breastplate. DR lowered to 5. Cost reduced by half.

4.) Removed: Plate Armour and Visored Helm

5.) Armour added: Legs are a vulnerable target. Mail chausses and/or greaves can be worn, providing the same benefit and drawbacks as a steel cap, and stacking with the bonuses and penalties provided by both helms and body armour.

6.) Armour houserule. If armour reduces damage taken to 0 (there is no "minimum of 1" rule in play), character has 50% chance of taking 1 point of nonlethal damage.

7.) Inferior Armour: Iron deposits are not all created equal. Armour made from poorer iron (such as that generally found in Syria) provides 1 less point of DR than normal, but does not cost less. An Appraise check (DC 15) is usually sufficient to tell that the armour is not made of the finest materials. A Profession: Soldier check can replace the Appraise check if the soldier has worn the armour to be appraised in battle at least once.

8.) Superior Armour: Just as armour can be less in quality, it can be greater. Superior armour grants 1 point more DR than normal and has its ACP reduced by 1.

Shields:

1.) Shields function somewhat differently. Early style shields (such as the Norman 'kite' shield) were largely not designed for active defense. As shields got smaller, they became more capable of being manipulated easily, but also lost their ability to protect simply by being worn. To this end, Large Shields, which can be represented by large kite shields and the oval Byzantine shields of similar size, provide a +3 bonus to your -base- Defense when worn (unless you are prone), as well as a +2 bonus to Parry Defense.

2.) Targe renamed to Small Shield, representing the various circular shields, as well as the heater shields that were just starting to show up. Provide a +1 bonus to base Defense and a +3 bonus to Parry Defense.

3.) Buckler reduced to 0 AP. Bucklers were small, hand-held metal shields and their sometimes cone-like shape or protrusions did nothing to aid in damaging armour. Provide no bonus to base defense, but a +4 bonus to Parry Defense, and have an Armour Check Penalty of 0. Hit points increased to 6.

4.) As an addendum to this rule change, shields function differently against ranged fire now as well. Bucklers only provide a +1 bonus to your Dodge Defense against ranged weapons, small shields providing a +3, and large shields provide a +4.

Bestiary:

1.) Non-human baddies from Bestiary in use: Sons of Set (referred to as simply Giant Snakes or Satan's Snakes, found in Egypt), Giant Spider (found in Russia, Poland, and parts of Germany), all Demons, Ghoul (found anywhere), Risen Dead (found anywhere), Yemli (found in Russia), Giant Crocodile (found in Egypt), Crawler of Xuchotl (renamed Deep Dragon, found in the Alps, harassing Dwarves), Dragon (found in Syria), Forest-devil (found in England)

Religion:
The three major religions are represented. Christians predominate Europe, broken into Eastern Orthodox and Western Catholic. Catholicism is the choice religion of most of Europe, with only Byzantium and parts of Poland and Russia really embracing Eastern Orthodox. Islam is the religion, obviously, of the Muslims of Syria and Egypt, as well as the Moors of Spain. Jews are found in most areas of Eastern Europe, and in some areas of Western Europe and even Syria and Egypt.

Organizations:
The primary organization operating in the area is the Hospitallers, or the Order of Saint John, which is made up largely of French and some Greek knights. While the Crusades haven't happened, this order still managed to come to be, via a Papal Mandate to protect the road to the Holy Land for Christian pilgrims. There are also numerous other active military groups in the area, including many mercenary companies, such as the Genoese crossbowmen, and Venetian captains with their own vessels and crews. There are even Turcopols, horse-archers from Syria who serve as mercenaries for Byzantium, some even converting to Christianity.

Notables:

1.) Manuel I Comnenus is the Emperor of Byzantium. He's scheming, and kind of a bastard.
2.) Pope Eugene III is the current Pope, and may possibly be a spellcaster in secret.
3.) European Kings include Louis VII of France and Conrad III of Germany, the latter of which has close ties to Pope Eugene III.
4.) Zengi, atabeg of Mosul, has recently betrayed Mahmud II, making himself Sultan of Syria, and now has plans to take Damascus, which is still held independantly by Taj al-Mulk Buri.

Extra Rules:
Various stuff from all the Conan books I have will show up. Diseases from Aquilonia, sorcery rules from Skelos, feats from everywhere, etc. I just didn't list these things as there are are so many of them to note. I've also excluded animals in the Bestiary list - various things from elephants to tigers or what-have-you will show up wherever appropriate, as can be assumed.

sorry....but i have a problem with elves and dwarfes in hyboria.

that's the "special spice" for conan /hyboria.... no stupid leafeating elves and no stinking dwarfes. if you change nearly every race and make it some "standard fantasy world"...why changing everything and don't play with one of the many D&D fantasy settings and use the conan rules you like / missed in D&D ???

so you have done a lot of work...but i don't like it.

and by the way....elves & dwarves in a Conan game is heresy! :twisted:

Valaryc said:
if you change nearly every race and make it some "standard fantasy world"...why changing everything and don't play with one of the many D&D fantasy settings ???

I agree with Valaryc. Your setting is interesting even original, but it really doesn't have anything to do with the Conan setting. Using the Conan rules for this type of setting is of course great since IMO it's one of the best modifications to the d20 system around.

sorry....but i have a problem with elves and dwarfes in hyboria.

Did you read the post at all? The setting will not be Hyboria.

that's the "special spice" for conan /hyboria.

I would have to disagree with you. The 'special spice' of the Conan ruleset is that's it's grittier, darker, and more sword-and-sorcery style. Races have nothing to do with this, as long as they are approached in a way consistent with the spirit of the rules. The spirit of the rules will be maintained.

why changing everything and don't play with one of the many D&D fantasy settings and use the conan rules you like / missed in D&D ???

Because I don't like the vanilla D&D system. I don't particularly like anything about it. However, I like everything about the Conan rules. Why would I use D&D, which fails to capture anything I enjoy, when I can use the Conan rules, which capture exactly how I want my setting to be?

Note that I haven't included any -new- rules with a high-fantasy bent. There is no special uber-race choice for Elves - they simply use Vendhyan racial stats. Nothing special, no leaf-eating going on. They're a war-like, red-handed people very much in keeping with the spirit of gritty fantasy, and are using the rules presenting in the Conan core book with only the most minor modification (a change in Weapon Familiarity).

And the Dwarves are definitely in keeping with a gritty-fantasy feel, being a race of dangerous creatures who hunt men. No happy-drinking or D&D-esque concepts.

I haven't added magic as being more prolific, I haven't added magic items as being common, I haven't added flashy spells - or any of the other tropes of high-magic gaming.

I agree with Valaryc. Your setting is interesting even original, but it really doesn't have anything to do with the Conan setting. Using the Conan rules for this type of setting is of course great since IMO it's one of the best modifications to the d20 system around.

Forgive me, but I was under the impression that this forum was for discussion not only of the Conan setting, but of the fabulous rules system in general. This post has everything to do with the game, because it is using the rules as they appear in the books.

You are both, of course, entitled to your opinions. But my opinion is that you're both being a bit narrow-minded as to what is appropriate use of the rules system, and what may be posted here. Of course, if you feel this doesn't belong here - please contact a Mod and let them know. If this truly doesn't belong here, they have my apologies for this thread.

I'm sorry if you read my post as suggesting that your post didn't belong here. That was not my intention. (i'll admit my post wasn't very well phrased)

I complimented you on the originality of your setting. I found it intriguing and i agreed with you that there are good reasons for using the Conan rules for your setting. If you want to discuss the application of the Conan rules in your setting on this forum you're welcome (as far as i'm concerned).

I do dislike being called narrow-minded, however... :evil:

damien...you posted something and two readers don't like it..so what?

is that a reason to cry and accuse us of saying "your post doesn't belong on this forum" ???

it's all a matter of taste....and in my oppionion the "special spice" off hyboria / conan isn't just the rules (have you seen any rule in a REH book?)...it's the flair of low fantasy WITHOUT dwarves, elves, halfling and other "semi human races".

you've done a lot of work...but that doesn't mean everyone has to like it. it's not my kind of style for hyboria / conan. you have to accept that...no more and no less.....and i can't see why i should be "narrow minded"? only for not liking your stuff ? :lol:

but you don't need anyone to agree to your game...so do it or let it be... but don't call other people narrow minded for another oppinion

I do dislike being called narrow-minded, however...

From your post - seems as though this was a misunderstanding. I wasn't following what you were saying.

Since this forum is for the Conan rules, I figured it might be of interest to some posters to see what I have used the rules to do. If you don't like it - that's quite fine. But it seemed as though you were saying I had no right to even post this information. Apologies for misunderstanding you - and for jumping to conclusions.

damien...you posted something and two readers don't like it..so what?

So what, indeed. I responded to your comments. Should I not have? If you didn't want me to respond to you, why did you post at all? If you didn't like it, and didn't want me to respond to you - why did you feel the need to post? It's just as easy for you to simply pass by this thread and go read another. It's not like this thread is taking up the entire message board.

is that a reason to cry and accuse us of saying "your post doesn't belong on this forum" ???

'Us?' I accused you of no such thing. And the issue, with the poster that comment -was- directed at, was a misunderstanding, as noted above.

it's all a matter of taste....

I agree. If the subject matter of this thread is not to your tastes, please feel free to ignore this thread. But don't come into my thread, bitch about what I'm doing, and then complain that I dared to respond. Agreed?

but that doesn't mean everyone has to like it.

I don't ask that you like it. But being more respectful wouldn't be a -bad- thing. Another good thing would be to simply not respond to threads which do not interest you.

and i can't see why i should be "narrow minded"? only for not liking your stuff ?

Your rationale is narrow-minded. It has nothing to do with whether you like my work or not. It has to do with how you approach it. You approached it like a whiny 5-year-old throwing a temper tantrum. All I ask is for a bit more maturity than that. If you -must- post in a thread just to say you don't like its content, just say "This isn't to my tastes, but hope you have fun" or something of that nature.

Again, if neither of you like it - that's totally fine. I didn't expect that everyone would. But it's just as easy to say so politely, or to simply not respond in threads that don't interest you. I posted this here for those who may actually be interested in how I'm using the system in a world other than Hyboria. There's no need to crawl a mile up my ass because -you- don't like what I'm doing, Valaryc.

Valaryc said:
"You approached it like a whiny 5-year-old throwing a temper tantrum. All I ask is for a bit more maturity"

??? perhaps this sounds familiar to you....

"Of course, if you feel this doesn't belong here - please contact a Mod and let them know. If this truly doesn't belong here, they have my apologies for this thread."

maturity....yeeeeessss

I dont get it, how was that immature?

Just so i can say i'm done with this thread:

1. I actually like Damien's setting and the fact that he uses the Conan rules for his setting. My first post was confused as to whether he was talking about Hyboria or not.

2. Apology accepted.

I dont get it, how was that immature?

I'm confused about that too, but who knows. Valaryc edited out his post and so we can just let bygones be bygones, yes?

2. Apology accepted.

Very sporting of you.

Just so i can say i'm done with this thread:

I hope not. I would like some input, if you have any, on my proposed change to shields. Looking at it - I'm not sure it's a balanced take, or at least balanced enough. It's certainly more realistic, but that isn't my sole concern. Any thoughts?

193 views -- so I'm assuming maybe one or two people are interested, even if having nothing to say. Thus, just something to chew on. . .

The characters for my game are decided on. The group looks good, but not exactly what I was expecting in terms of class arrangement, so I'm going to have to adjust a little bit to compensate. But the backgrounds tie in well and it should be easy to get them started. Here's a brief write-up on the characters that will be in the game. Enjoy.

Cleobis: Greek, Soldier 1/Scholar 2
Cleobis is stereotypically Greek. He is conniving, treacherous, and yet silver-tongued. He is the son of a prominent merchant, which prompted a short-lived service in the guard of Constantinople. He uses his limited military knowledge and ability (as well as his remaining military gear) to pose as a warrior, so as not to reveal his secret study of all things sorcerous.
Gear: Among various accoutrements of his craft, Cleobis also owns an inferior quality scale corselet, a large shield and a hunting spear.

Ubaid: Islamic [Syrian], Nomad 3
Ubaid is a Turcopol; a horse-archer from Syria who has enlisted himself, among some of his countrymen, as a mercenary for Byzantium. He has been, as yet, in very few engagements against his fellow Syrians and has also maintained his native religion. His company served under the walls of Constantinople for a brief time. During this period, Ubaid stumbled across Cleobis and his dark activities. That was nearly a year prior, and ever since Ubaid has been a retainer of Cleobis, largely out of fear.
Gear: Syrian bow (40 arrows), battle-axe, small shield, mail shirt, steel cap.

Valerik: Northerner [Russian], Noble 2/Nomad 1 (Cavalier multiclass)
Having been raised on the Russian steppe, Valerik is a capable horsemen and archer. While technically not of noble birth, Valerik's father was a war-chief, and the duties of that position fell to Valerik upon his father's death at the hands of other Steppe warriors. He led his men well for a short time before his small army was annihilated by more rivals in the Steppe. Moving southward, Valerik came to the Greek empire and, with his impressive credentials, established himself as a leader among the Turcopols, the only man of Rus to command Syrians. Technically, Valerik is Ubaid's commanding officer.
Gear: Sabre, light mace, hunting bow (20 arrows), inferior quality mail shirt, scale corselet, steel cap, small shield.

Ilario: Italian, Soldier 3
Ilario is Genoese, and served in a company of crossbowmen with his fellow countrymen. Ilario served as a mercenary in Byzantium with his company and there was captured by Syrians, who cut off Ilario's left ear before allowing him and similarly-treated prisoners to be cheaply ransomed away. Frustrated, Ilario is in Constantinople nursing his wound.
Gear: Gambeson, steel cap, buckler, crossbow (30 bolts), poniard, falchion [broadsword].

It strikes me that a near-fantasy setting in a semi-alternate earth presents certain challenges to the players. You have a pretty disparate group of nationalities that will, in any city or town they are in, provoke a negative response ie., Muslims in Xristian countries and vice versa, greeks in italy... The conan rule setting is probably more easily converted to an early renaissance setting -- I think Green Ronin has a series of books for playing a less fantasy/magic based Medieval setting.

Also -- how do you handle 'religious'? The scholar class doesn't apply to most religious priests, and even less to most 'magicians' who were little more than entertainers or frauds. Even if you reduce the power of the Church (which would seriously impact any possibility of a crusade - as it was the active whistle stop tour of Europe by Urban II (IIRC) that really got steam for the 1st Crusade going) -- they still have to have a significant influence culturally (unless you are planning on having the Albigensian Heresy form a major part of any campaign in western europe).

2.) Scholar loses all access to Lay Priest background. While some priests may secretly be spellcasters, Christianity, Judaism and Islam deem spellcraft as evil and do not teach it to their priesthood.

Presumeably non spellcasting scholars can still be priests? Or are you going to use nobles?

Removed Weapons: Cutlass, Pike, Pollaxe, Bossonian Longbow, Hyrkanian Bow

Although the cutlass itself is indeed a later weapon, short wide curved cutting swords were used in medieval Europe, such as the falchion and its varients.

Pikes were a feature of ancient warfare, and never really went out of fashion. They didn't start making a serious impact again until the 1200s, but they would certainly be known of.

The Poleaxe is a not inappropriate way of modelling the large axes used by the northern European armies, such as Harold's at Hastings.

The Longbow is just about to arrive, and in fact is in use in Wales at this date. However, it won't have been heard of in Italy yet!

The Hyrkanian bow is designed to reflect the composite bows of the east, which have been a staple of eastern warfare for a long while. The byzantines, arabs and steppe nomads will use them.

Removed: Plate Armour and Visored Helm

Field plate armour is certainly not about yet. However, breastplates and similar are certainly known of: after all, the Romans used them! Also, although I don't think hinged visors have made an appearence yet, full face great helms have arrived

Shields function somewhat differently

Your shield rules are brilliant, and I am going to pinch them shamelessly.

You have a pretty disparate group of nationalities that will, in any city or town they are in, provoke a negative response ie., Muslims in Xristian countries and vice versa, greeks in italy

This won't be a problem. Medieval Europe, especially Italy, was more cosmopolitan than you give it credit for. Scicily had been conquered by the saracens for a while, and moslem Saracen troops were fighting for the armies of southern Italy as late as 1284. Byzantium was only expelled from Italy in 1071, and large sections of the south would still be Greek speaking.

I think you miscontrue cosmopolitan. Just because those peoples were there, did not make them well-received or popular in any way. Medieval peoples were very prejudice -- even from province to province. Muslims were treated with contempt at best, hatred and violence at worst. Your game can run it differently of course, but I was just curious as to how you sought to deal with it.

Although you responded as to how priests WOULDN'T be dealt with, how WILL you deal with them? Commoner, Noble, Other?

Just because those peoples were there, did not make them well-received or popular in any way.

Not necessarily, perhaps, but it made them accepted into cities without too much trouble, and not attacked.

kintire said:
Just because those peoples were there, did not make them well-received or popular in any way.

Not necessarily, perhaps, but it made them accepted into cities without too much trouble, and not attacked.

Just out of curiousity -- what's your source for this? I can't think of many (if any) instances of Muslims living in Western European cities. Remember, this was a time when Jews were subject to enforced conversions, pogroms, expulsions etc. And THEY were members of a community that wasn't met with nearly as much fear (despite the baby sacrificing fear-mongering). Considering the absolute antagonism starting with the 1st Crusade (including hungry crusaders eating the roasted buttocks of the muslims they killed), I'm not sure if they would be "accepted into cities without too much trouble". Maybe the odd merchant or two, but even then!

I'm just wondering what source you are using to base this assumption on, or if this is part of the 'alternative' time line.

I'm just wondering what source you are using to base this assumption on, or if this is part of the 'alternative' time line.

I think you're confusing kintire and I for the same person. ;)

You have a pretty disparate group of nationalities that will, in any city or town they are in, provoke a negative response ie., Muslims in Xristian countries and vice versa, greeks in italy...

Absolutely. This definitely adds more impetus for the players to function as a cohesive mercenary unit, employ disguises, and think of interesting ways to make sense of themselves (for instance, claiming that the Saracen among them is a prisoner, or a slave). It certainly presents a challenge, and it's one that the players will have to find ways to overcome (and likely get experience for doing so).

That said, I'm going to be careful not to -overplay- this issue, because then it would become tedious for the players to deal with, of course.

The conan rule setting is probably more easily converted to an early renaissance setting -- I think Green Ronin has a series of books for playing a less fantasy/magic based Medieval setting.

The Medieval Player's Manual. I have it. ;) Even so, I think the rules are adapting nicely to the slightly earlier setting than the standard rules would presume.

Also -- how do you handle 'religious'? The scholar class doesn't apply to most religious priests, and even less to most 'magicians' who were little more than entertainers or frauds.

Presumeably non spellcasting scholars can still be priests? Or are you going to use nobles?

Priests absolutely can be scholars. Even spellcasting scholars (they simply cannot use the Lay Priest background as the source for their sorcerous knowledge). The Noble is another option, yes. As are the basic NPC classes (except the Warrior).

'Fraud' magicians and entertainers, I think, will be better handled with colourful description and flavour rather than any given NPC class, but if I had to choose, I'd say the NPC Expert class.

Historically, priests were a pretty varied group. And very political. Noble, I think, is the absolute best choose for many of them, as is a spell-less Scholar. But equally, some even may even have some levels of Soldier or suchwise.

Even if you reduce the power of the Church (which would seriously impact any possibility of a crusade - as it was the active whistle stop tour of Europe by Urban II (IIRC) that really got steam for the 1st Crusade going) -- they still have to have a significant influence culturally (unless you are planning on having the Albigensian Heresy form a major part of any campaign in western europe).

Quite true, which is why I wrote it so that the Church does not have -significant- political power. Right now, it just doesn't have the 'pull' to cause a full-scale Crusade. It may gain that power, we'll have to find out in the campaign. ;)

But as of the start of the campaign, the real world First Crusade hasn't happened yet because the Church has not been able to stabilize itself as a dominating political force. However, remember that the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire is closely aligned to the Pope. And the Germans are a powerful people. . . . who knows what kind of power the Church -might- wield in a few short years.

Although the cutlass itself is indeed a later weapon, short wide curved cutting swords were used in medieval Europe, such as the falchion and its varients. ~snip~

Falchion uses broadsword stats (see Ilario's gear). But you raise a good point. I'll keep the cutlass stats on hand in case someone decides on using a broad, short cutting sword.

Pikes had very little place in medieval warfare. They did exist in the ancient world, yes, but they wouldn't return to any kind of regular usage until almost the 15th century -- well after the time of this setting.

Good point on the pollaxe. But I think the 'bardiche' is already sufficient to cover any 'big axe' weapons. Hm, maybe I will include the pollax stats, but if I do I'll have to lower the AP rating, because that's seriously high. Personally, I think it's even too high for the real life pollaxe, let alone an earlier style of large axe. Hm. Something to think about.

The Longbow just doesn't have any kind of usage in war at this time. There's -some- evidence that the Scandinavian peoples used it (which is, by that theory, who the Welsh got it from). But the Welsh/English longbow wouldn't be considered a weapon of war until the early 14th century. And since no armies of the time seem to have had any record of 'longbowmen' - I'm just going to keep those out.

The Hyrkanian bow is designed to reflect the composite bows of the east, which have been a staple of eastern warfare for a long while. The byzantines, arabs and steppe nomads will use them.

I just didn't see a convincing reason to use two of the same basic concept. I got rid of the Hyrkanian bow and kept the Shemite bow (renamed 'Syrian' bow just so my players won't have to say 'Shemite' at any time). The two bows were too much alike to really bother with both, I thought. Any reason I should reconsider? I'm open to thinking about it.

Field plate armour is certainly not about yet. However, breastplates and similar are certainly known of: after all, the Romans used them! Also, although I don't think hinged visors have made an appearence yet, full face great helms have arrived

1.) True enough. But such types of less-encompassing armour are better represented by existing stats. For instance, you could use coat-of-plate (brigandine in the core rules) or scale stats for lamellae, which is also fairly close to what the Romans were using. I got rid of plate armour because no such thing existed yet - not even close. And I can't really see the need for the stats with just a name-change, DR 10 as a base (thus, not counting helmet and chausses) is a bit much for anything that would have been used at the time of this setting.

2.) Correct. Which is why I kept great helm stats. I only removed visored-helm stats, as those types of helmets didn't exist yet. Early-style great helmets (these would be the kind that are more like a skullcap with a face-plate) are definitely around in force.

Your shield rules are brilliant, and I am going to pinch them shamelessly.

Thanks!

http://www.deremilitari.org/resources/articles/saracen_archers.htm

As an example. there was a Saracen community living in southern Italy well into the late 1200s. Sicily was ruled by the mulims from the 700s through to 1160s, and the community didn't just vanish.

As for the crusades, Venice, Genoa and much of italy traded quite amiably with the Muslim qworld for the duration. Nor was the hate as intense as you suggest: crusading armies included locally recruited troops, called Turcopoles, with no requirement to convert.

As for the cannibalism accusations, they are propaganda.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nigel.nicholson/hn/indexFAQ.html

It's your world! I disagree with your assessments and logic, not the fact that those events happened. If you think the saracen masters of Sicily were beloved by the people (and we can make an argument that Sicily was conquered a lot of different groups, but they weren't necessarily popular ... ie Sicilian Vespers), and that the turcopoles were beloved by westerners, then we have a very different view of the source materials.

Please inform me how the first person accounts of a christian crusader, writing about other christian crusaders i.e. cannibalizing the dead saracens, falls under the heading of 'propoganda'. On second thought -- don't. Suffice to say your reading of the relationships between muslims and christians is something I disagree with -- Your intepretation of the Conan rules for this setting is interesting. I'm sure it will shake out in the end.

Back