Centauri Hunting Packs - A Question for you Chaps

Should Hunting Packs be Limited to a Single Target?

• Yes! They are concentrating fully on their prey!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! Centauri have eyes in the back of their heads!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,

We are preparing a (very short) PDF with clarifications for P&P, basically the missing sentence in the background section and the rewording of Centauri Hunting Packs.

Now, as we are going to reword it anyway. . . Would you like us to limit the firing of the Hunting Pack to a _single_ target? Basically, you nominate a target with one ship, everyone else gets the 50% boost to range - but they are unable to fire at anything else.

This is likely the last design decision to be made for B5: CTA, so we felt it fitting it be left to you chaps!

Voted yes, this is one of the most powerful of the racial actions and needs somethign to temper it a touch.

Same here. I see the range boost as a bit like "Concentrate All Firepower", although it isn't limited to certain weapon types.

Absolutely yes. Hunting packs are currently a major advantage with very minor drawbacks. Only allowing one target would make it much more balanced.

Voted a BIG YES for this.

Limit it to 1 target. Though a 6 ship squadron is still powerful, putting out shed loads of AD. Some thing has to limit it. Otherwise it is game breaking minor tweak.

TRhank you for the chance to participate.

I have voted yes although I freely admit I have not played it yet...........

however I am presuming my complied text is otherwise correct?

Importantly with this new revision does the Pack still remain a Squadron and a Pack or does it always act as a Pack?

It seems there are several other more complete explanations needed for Time on target thingy and the Drazi attack run as noted on the forum

have not seen the book as yet mind you.

Allow me to put forward revised wording...

Centauri Hunting Packs

A Hunting Pack is a special type of Centauri squadron that is used to inflict punishing damage on their enemies by combining targeting data throughout the squadron. It may contain up to six ships, of which none may be higher than Raid level. In all other respects other than those stated below it acts as a normal squadron.

Each turn, when the hunting pack is nominated to fire, it must nominate one enemy target. The designated target will usually be a single enemy ship, but may be several ships within the same enemy squadron if preferred. Ships within the hunting pack may only attack this designated target(s).

As long as the designated target is within range of one ship within the Hunting Pack, every other ship in the pack may increase the Range of any weapon which attacks that target by half. Note that if you split attack dice across multiple targets, you will only gain the range bonus against ships that are within range of another pack member.

Of course, if the firing is going to be limited to a single target (which I like) I think you need to explicitly state that if the target is destroyed before all the ships in the pack have fired, those ships that haven't fired cannot fire at all.

Regards,

Dave

Foxmeister said:
Of course, if the firing is going to be limited to a single target (which I like) I think you need to explicitly state that if the target is destroyed before all the ships in the pack have fired, those ships that haven't fired cannot fire at all.
Since they are a squadron, all declared fire must be resolved before the explosion roll is made!
It could be a big boom :twisted:

Or to simplify and restrict it even more, remove the part about targetting multiple ships in a squardon. TBH that adds so much complication. What happens if ship A is in range of target X and ship B is in range of target Y... does A get a range bonus to attack Y or B get a range bonus to attack X?

Centauri Hunting Packs

A Hunting Pack is a special type of Centauri squadron that is used to inflict punishing damage on their enemies by combining targeting data throughout the squadron. It may contain up to six ships, of which none may be higher than Raid level. In all other respects other than those stated below it acts as a normal squadron.

Each turn, when the hunting pack is nominated to fire, it must nominate one enemy target. Ships within the hunting pack may only attack this designated target. As long as the designated target is within range of one ship within the Hunting Pack, every other ship in the pack may increase the Range of its weapons by half.

Yes.

In nature a hunting pack will be after a single prey. They work together to take down a bigger foe. This seems to be the essence of what the designers were trying to represent, so allowing them multiple targets would seem illogical.

Agreed, Burger's latest wording is probably the best I've seen and with sufficient drawback as to make it more of a balanced option to use.

Does the pack have go after 1 target, can it act like a normal squadron if chooses, obivously without the 50% range

Voted for only one target also, that seems fair to me.
Of course it is still a squadron able to act like a "normal" squadron and not a hunting pack if desired.

Back