Centauri Hunting Packs - A Question for you Chaps

Should Hunting Packs be Limited to a Single Target?

• Yes! They are concentrating fully on their prey!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! Centauri have eyes in the back of their heads!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
flash news - the Hunting Pack rule is suspended for the campaign weekend - which in the past (Troligan, Gaim etc ) means its likely to be a dead rule.............for good given the time before the end of licence..........

Shame. All that needs to be done is to reduce the squadron size to 4, or go with Adrian's suggestion of knocking it down to 4 the first ttime it acts like a normal squadron.

Its an interesting rule but its broken. Many including myself won't mind if it does go completely but then Centauri should have a little something extra like every other race? (except for the Pak'Ma'Ra of course!)

Eject Methane Toilets!
CQ automatic
Once per game, each pak'ma'ra ship can order its methane toilets to be emptied into space. This will cause a 4" gas cloud to be placed on the board, centered around any point of the ship's flight path this turn. Any ship entering the gas cloud will have to make a CQ roll of 9+ to avoid retching.

Chandler said:
Its an interesting rule but its broken. Many including myself won't mind if it does go completely but then Centauri should have a little something extra like every other race? (except for the Pak'Ma'Ra of course!)

We do have the Amar carrier which is far more likely to be used (like tommorow night) than the pak Admiral

I had my own favourite for the Centauri rule (which even had support from playtesters) but am quite happy with the new carrier and just being the Great Republic :D

Actually it is a real shame that Admirals are so expensive because I would definately have taken Delenn if she was more affordable - 'Kill Them. Kill Them All!'

I actually think that your idea of a free Admiral each would have been good fun for the weekend - but I am working so missing out out on the fun anway - ah well :(

Hey we should have a tournament in the summer or if we have an ongoing campaign maybe we could have a freebie then or make them using the rules?

Chandler said:
Actually it is a real shame that Admirals are so expensive because I would definately have taken Delenn if she was more affordable - 'Kill Them. Kill Them All!'

I was tempted to stick her on a White Star, though that would lose that particular trait of hers.

LBH

Since many people are reading this thread (and few are reading the one that I started :( ) I thought that I should post this here...

A friend and I tried out the Hunting pack rule. We played only the start of several games, just up to the point that the packs were breaking up to deal with my opponents maneuvering (usually no later than turn three).

The results were interesting...
The vastly increased range was very powerful, allowing me to start beating on my opponent at least a turn earlier than in a normal game.

The six ship squadron felt very strong at first, but two normal sized squadrons were almost as effective since my opponent's one extra shot wasn't enough to stop the second squadron from firing. It was the range that made the difference. (I didn't have enough time to test this repeatedly, so I may be wrong here...)

The lack of initiative sinks does quickly become an issue, but the ability to break up the pack after your first big strike eliminates most of that problem.

Overall, the power to shoot with most of your ships earlier than normal seems to be the biggest problem with the hunting pack rule. So far, none of the suggested rule changes have really addressed this problem.

So... I propose this completely different "fix".

Instead of targeting a single enemy, each turn a single ship of the Pack is designated as the leader. For each weapon system that the leader fires, all other ships in the Pack may fire any identical weapon systems at the same target with its range increased by 50%.
(N.b. Light ballistic torpedoes are not identical to ballistic torpedoes.)

This seems to limit abuses nicely and keeps a good feel...

- ShopKeepJon

Back