Books 8 and 9 in my cold, clammy paws ...

elizzar

Mongoose
Both books got delivered to my work address this morning, and book 8 in particular appears to have a bumper bonus adventure. also got a natty traveller bookmark ... both look good, well bound etc, not had a chance to delve into the guts but ...

i-don't-think-they-are-spoilers-but-others-might warning (highlight to read)

book 8 bonus you play paido the vakeros
book 9 bonus sogh the thief

less groovy, after reading the ... 8,9 and 10 ... post my book 8 is missing bonus sections 151+ ... was too much to hope for, sigh, one day mongoose :?

Guys, this was an error on behalf of the printers - they are already working to rectify it. More news next week.

msprange said:
Guys, this was an error on behalf of the printers - they are already working to rectify it. More news next week.

Just got the books today and confirmed the issues. Glad to hear there'll be an update on this next week :)

Received my copies of book 8 and 9 yesterday and noticed a few glitches:

Book 8+9: Action Chart mentions under Weapons List "If combat entered holding Weapon and appropriate Weaponskill +2CS". I believe this text should be replaced with "...appropriate Weaponmastery +3CS"?

Book 8+9: The section covering Magnakai discipline Weaponmastery has an incorrect picture. One of the swords (no 5 or 7) should be replaced with a bow.

Book 8: The text on the back of the cover is incomplete. The final line "... each episode can be played separately or you can combine" should be completed with "them all to create a fantastic role-playing epic."

Otherwise, the books seem to be perfectly playable.

Well only had a first glance at books 8 and 9 today, but they look great!

As every, the maps are a little dark for my liking - brighter colours would be nice, but I have been saying that for every book so I guess this is the style!

Some great illustrations inside - I particularly like the picture of Gnaag in book 8 and of the undergound city in book 9. Not too sure about Kimah, but the original pic was so good it was always going to be hard to beat that - still, it looks good!

The two book sit nicely on the shelf and complement each other's colourings, espcially on the spine, well. And isn't book 8 large?

So aside from the other things mentioned (and the tiny printing error!) I think we're onto a winner here. Let's hope the weekend comes along quickly so I can play them :)

Is it possble to have the missing sections from the Paido adventure posted on the website whilst the problems are being sorted out? Thanks.

Another irrelevant issue is that the title on the spine of Book 9 is "Cauldron of Fear" and not "The Cauldron of Fear". Something to correct in future printings, but not a big deal.

Good eyes therr Tabris! I hadn't noticed that, but you're absolutely right. You can even see the title has been moved down the spine to accommodate the missing "The".

Another irrelevant issue is that the title on the spine of Book 9 is "Cauldron of Fear" and not "The Cauldron of Fear". Something to correct in future printings, but not a big deal.

I had to read your comment three times before I spotted the difference. Wow you must have Grand Huntmastery and Pathmanship.

Hi Matt

Don't know if your printers have reprinted Book 8, but if not stop them! I have found an error in it I'm afraid.

Section 260 gives you the choice of using a Meal if your backpack against a giant spider and to turn to Section 34.

The passage below it says "If you neither have a Meal nor the Magnakai Disclipline of Psi-Surge turn to Section 5".

You've missed out the Psi-Surge option. In the original version of the book, the option of using Psi-Surge will lead you to Section 250. I've checked the new version, and Sec tion 250 does exist and is still correct, but the option to go there has been missed.

If it's not too late it would be handy to have this corrected along with the missing section from the mini-adventure.

Thank you

Found another error - this time in the mini-adventure.

Spoliers

In Section 80, the combat with Lady Varlis, the text says that if you kill her in combat goto Section 60.

I do this and it appears you are in a mine after an explosion. It turns out this is the correct section, but a lot of text has been missed out. It was only later on in the adventure I learnt that Lady Varlis had caused an explosion - there was no text or anything to mention this before.

Again, if there is time to catch the book before reprinting, could you reinstate the missing text so this now makes sense?

Thanks.

Don't know if it is relevant since the printers already know that they have messed with section 151, but there also seem to be a section 152 missing in my copy (section 150 gives the option to turn to 152). So I hope they don't just add section 151 but also section 152.

Haven't played the bonus adventure yet in the new printing of the book... but isn't it strange that section 152, the last section, does end with a link to another section? Shouldn't it end with the end of the story ... like every other LW adventure? Just checking...

Back