Summarized errata to the books and mini-adventures

AguilaSaber

Mongoose
Thought I make a topic for this. I think there was one already but it seemed not to have been updated for quite some time.

List all current problems here, or potential problems here. I thought there was a topic for Book #1 errors already, but I can't find them now.

Book #1
* Options for section #22 should read the same as section #173 (the section #180 option is invalid).

Book #3
* Missing section #192 in Gamebook #3. (Errata)

Book #4
* Missing Equipment section.
* Section #309 should be reversed to old edition text. ( To prevent ressurrecting border rangers when coming from from #32, #129 or #157)
* Section #241 should link to #343 not #309.
* Section #129 lists Huntmastery (Corrected in latest version)
* Section #315 lacks mention of the Tracking option
* Section #328. Inappriopriate use of word "lay"

Book #5
* Missing Equipment section.
* Section 2. Word "the" missing. "end of room"
* Section 289 reads "you hear a tongue you well". Should be "you hear a tongue you know so well".
* Part 2 of the book has the section numbering close to the spine.

Book #6.
* Weaponmastery section does not list Bow as a choice.
* Action chart: Still lists the Kai bonus of +2 CS instead of Magnakai bonus +3 CS.
* Backcover. Sommerlund is spelt Summerlund.

Book #7.
* Action chart: Still lists the Kai bonus of +2 CS instead of Magnakai bonus +3 CS.
* Initial section in the Equipment section is wrong. Lone Wolf did not take a Map of Dessi with him before leaving Sommerlund for the Lorestone of Varetta. He was given the Map by the Elder Magi before leaving for the Lorestone of Herdos.
* Equipment list for Book #7 is that of Book #6. This means that it is not possible to attain some items like Fireseeds and Lantern (both usable in the book) which are used within the Book. (The Equipment section in Book 7 is the only place where these items could be attained.)
* Improved Discilpines does not list the Improved Discplines in Book 7.
* Backcover: Terror is spelt Terrot.

Book #8
* Section 260. Missing option: "If you have the Magnakai discipline of Psi-Surge, turn to 250."

Book #9
* Section 145. Uses the wrong excahnge rate for Gold Crowns to Lune.

Book #10
* Action chart: Should have room for 7 disciplines, not 6.

Mini-adventure in book #2.
* Section #22 to #52 doesn't work. In section 22 Rhygar has travelled to Tarnalin and in section 52 he is back in Port Bax.

Mini-adventure book #3
* Section link from #96 to #17 seems awkward to me. You are supposed to hide but the new section says you are doing other things.

Mini-adventure Book #4.

* Spread-sheets/Action charts are the ones used for Loi-Kymar. Even mentions Loi-Kymar in one place.
* There is no mention of weapon limit in the rule section for Captain D'Val. Is he perhaps allowed 3 weapon as an officer or does his cavalry sword count as a special item for him?
* D'Val should get a new weapon to arm himself with at some point after losing his sword. **
* Section 45 should link to 147 instead of 89.

** D'Val not regaining a weapon after he has lost his sword becomes quite troublesome if he has picked up a Bow, because then the Bow becomes his only weapon, and chances are that he will spend the rest of the adventure without a weapon even though many sections state that he draws his weapon. There should be a mention in a section that he always passes through that he can pick up a weapon or is given a spare weapon from one of his men, or he should at least be given the options to take a weapon from slain foes, but few of them drops weapons!

Mini-adventure Book #5.
* Section link from #20 should link to #83 instead of #81.
* Section link from #21 should link to #37 instead of #94.

Mini-adventure Book #7.
* Action Chart: Bow. YES/YES instead of YES/NO.
* Link from #110 to #48 is not correct.
* Link from #92 to #26 is not correct. Correct link is likely #90.

Mini-adventure Book #7.
* Action Chart: Not much right here. Sogh has no COMBAT SKILL. He has only 1 Thief skill, not 4. There should not be a COMBAR RECORD part because he does not fight. There should be a Fortune section for his Fortune points (missing).

Edit1:
Edited in Fordys and Angantyr's additions/changes.

Edit2:
Added a second bug for mini-adventure in book 5.

Edit3:
Added a bug for mini-adventure in book 2.

Edit4:
Added bugs for Lone Wolf #6 and #7.

Edit5:
Mini-adventure book 7 bugs.
Equipment book #7 bug, same equipment offer as in book #6.

Edit6:
Added book 7 back-cover bug
Added Action chart bug to book 6-10.
Added weaponmastery weapon selection bug. Now in book 6-10.
Added in book 8, section 260 bug
Added in book 9, section 145 bug
Added in misc. grammatical error bugs.

Edit 7:
Corrected reference from 349 to 309 LW #4
Added Book 10 Action chart (7 disciplines)
Added section numbering near spine bug for Book 5 part 2.

Good work - nice to have it all listed.

Book 5 mini adventure - 65 the toad's Word Ladder (mite, mate, mats rats) ANY of the three can be the first step - Rice/Mace, race, rate, rats it's all the same number of words.

P.S. (This is the third time I've put this)
The download on the website for Book 4 equipment is incorrect it is actually the equipment for Book 6 (The only book where you can pick up a Bow, Quiver and Padded Leather Waistcoat at the start), and even then it is wrong - it says you can take three but actually you can take five in the original version.

So Book 4 Chasm of Doom Starting Equipment -

Take 6 of the following:

WARHAMMER (Weapons)
DAGGER (Weapons)
2 POTIONS OF LAUMSPUR (Backpack Items) Each of these potions restores 4 ENDURANCE points to your total when swallowed after combat. Each contains enough for one dose.
SWORD (Weapons)
SPEAR (Weapons)
5 SPECIAL RATIONS (Meals) Each of these Special Rations counts as one Meal, and each takes up one space in your Backpack.
MACE (Weapons)
CHAINMIAL WAISTCOAT (Special Items) This adds 4 ENDURANCE points to your total.
SHIELD (Special Items) This adds 2 points to your COMBAT SKILL when used in combat.

Pretty good really as basically you can get your maximum two weapons and all the other items.

Book 5 Shadow on the Sand Starting Equipment:

DAGGER (Weapons)
POTION OF LAUMSPUR (Backpack Items) Properties above
SWORD (Weapons)
SPEAR (Weapons)
2 SPECIAL RATIONS (Meals) Properties above
MACE (Weapons)
SHIELD (Special Items) Properties above

Interestingly both books initial Gold Crowns are a Random Number wheras in the originals it is Random Number plus 10.

Maybe you are supposed to start with very little after all...

Ah now, unlike Kai we can't all be perfect - I forgot to put that you can pick FOUR Items for the Shadow on the Sand starting equipment. :roll:

SnowShadow said:
Good work - nice to have it all listed.

Book 5 mini adventure - 65 the toad's Word Ladder (mite, mate, mats rats) ANY of the three can be the first step - Rice/Mace, race, rate, rats it's all the same number of words.

Yes, but perhaps there is something else behind the Toad's riddle?

The last choice between rate and mats is the choice between two valid words. Why is it mats and not rate? Both will lead to rats.

So the word 'rate' does not seem to be a valid word in the sequence. The question is why?

In the original fan club news letters there were extra rules, like you could wear chainmail armour over your leather armour (even though this was NEVER stated in the books).

So should we just follow the new rules or stick with the old ones, simply presuming the new books are all WRONG?

SnowShadow said:
The download on the website for Book 4 equipment is incorrect it is actually the equipment for Book 6 (The only book where you can pick up a Bow, Quiver and Padded Leather Waistcoat at the start), and even then it is wrong - it says you can take three but actually you can take five in the original version.

Interestingly both books initial Gold Crowns are a Random Number wheras in the originals it is Random Number plus 10.

Maybe you are supposed to start with very little after all...

Yes, maybe JD modified the equipment section so that you are not allow to bring as much stuff than in the first version. However, I really doubt that he has completely removed it from books 4 and 5.

@AS: Nice! I hope that somebody at Mongoose will take a look at this list and make the corrections for the future. After all, it's supposed to be their job to find errors BEFORE they print the books... :roll:

There is an error in book 1 that should be addressed. The options for section 22 should read the same as section 173 (the section 180 option is invalid).

I don't know if this was corrected in later editions.

Threepwud said:
In the original fan club news letters there were extra rules, like you could wear chainmail armour over your leather armour (even though this was NEVER stated in the books).

So should we just follow the new rules or stick with the old ones, simply presuming the new books are all WRONG?

My opinion is that the books are purposefully vague on this point. This is a rules and play style question best discussed outside actual faults and errata.

I'd advice to make a new topic for this.

To add some more fuel to the disappearing/reappearing rangers fire, it seems like an observant Project Aon edition reader last week found what the real fix should be: The link from 241 to 309 should instead lead to 343, and the original text of 309 is fine.

See this thread: http://projectaon.proboards30.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1342 (which also highlights another tiny text problem)

Anybody been able to figure out what the correct section directs for

Section links from #32, #129, #157 all leading to #309 resurrects your dead border rangers. (#242 to #309 transition is correct.)

are? Thanks in advance! Until then, I'm just using the original, non Mongoose #4.

I'll admit, I'm pretty disappointed. I'm likely to not preorder anymore books and just wait a while, lurk, and see if this stuff is getting fixed.

YouzeNottaBlackscreamerz said:

Section links from #32, #129, #157 all leading to #309 resurrects your dead border rangers. (#242 to #309 transition is correct.)

are? Thanks in advance! Until then, I'm just using the original, non Mongoose #4.
There are no correct links. The original book had a faulty 241 (It should say 241, not 242 up there. Someone has listened to too much EBM? :)) -> 309 link. This one could be fixed as my previous post described. However, Mongoose changed the content of 309 to make it fit 241, but that screwed up the storyline when coming from the other sections listed above.

The original, of course, had some other bad links... These are fixed in the Project Aon and Mongoose versions.

Threepwud said:

I don't remember that newsletter but logic would tend to say one piece of armour per location -
Torso - Padded Leather, Chainmail or Bronin Vest
Head - Silver Helm or Helmet
Arms - Silver Bracers
And you can have a Shield

Kagonite Chainmail or Ang'Sei (Chai Armour of Life) CAN be worn with one other Torso Armour.
It seems that a Kai Grand Master may only wear armour of magical or, to my mind, ceremonial origin when you look at the list allowed from Book 13 onwards. This must be because the others are too restrictive to movement.

One item per location doesn't work with all the Crystal Star Pendants, talismans, amulets, etc. you can end up with around your neck in GM books, though.

I don't know about the new books being wrong but if you follow the series you don't tend to need much of the starting equipment anyway so I think it ought to have a section where if you are playing the book on it's own you get equipment but if you have played another you don't, like book 11.
I think that Lone Wolf should at least be given a weapon at the start of books 4 & 5 even if nothing else - being sent into hostile foreign lands (although Shadow on the Sand is a 'peace' mission so he could go unarmed...).
Maybe if you have no other starting equipment use the Weaponskill table to start with a random weapon (even if you don't have that discipline) at least that's better than nothing.

Angantyr said:
YouzeNottaBlackscreamerz said:

There are no correct links. The original book had a faulty 241 (It should say 241, not 242 up there. Someone has listened to too much EBM? :)) -> 309 link. This one could be fixed as my previous post described. However, Mongoose changed the content of 309 to make it fit 241, but that screwed up the storyline when coming from the other sections listed above.

The original, of course, had some other bad links... These are fixed in the Project Aon and Mongoose versions.

Thanks for the sanity check, I thought I was missing something...

In the Tipasa ending two of the options don't work

SPOILER Highlight to read

33 (no keys) > 18 > 20 >81

33 (one key) > 67 > No Blue stone Triangle > 20 > 81

Section 81 talks about what happens when you fail the chess puzzle?!?

33 (both keys) (or one key & Blue stone Triangle)> 86 >90 success

I havent worked out the correct page yet

Damn! Tomb of Mahjan - just noticed this one about 81 not 83 myself - you beat me to it.

By the Way, anyone know where the Illustration XVIII (opposite) on reference 306 in Shadow on the Sand is? Seem to remember the original had some dwarf hanging on to a near vertical Skyrider for dear life. :)

Caverns of Kalte - some references yield Blue Stone Discs instead of Blue Stone Triangles, I assume these don't work on either the Ikayan door or in the Tomb of the Mahjan.
Also reference 4 states a Bone Sword(k) has a +1 CS bonus in Kalte only whereas the one on ref 210 is +1 CS presumably anywhere but they are both made from similar materials is the one on 210 superior or did they just forget to put 'in Kalte'. There are other Bone Swords which are not +1 CS too in the book. The original verson doesn't have this +1 bonus.
I assume it is only in Kalte otherwise people all over magnamund would be after these instead of finest Durenese steel.

Adding a new error.

Mini-adventure in book 2. The link from section #22 to #52 doesn't really work. In section 22 Rhygar has travelled to Tarnalin and in section 52 he is back in Port Bax.

Since Durenon Bridge is half-way between Port Bax and Tarnalin he wouldn't go back to Port Bax.

Myself, I'd be inclined to fail his mission at this point (with new section) for going to Tarnalin since the bird would have fled by the time he arrived at Durenor Bridge.

Adding my own oversight in mini-adventure links in book 6. I apologize for not triple-checking the story links.

The first option on section 156 should read as follows:

"If you still choose to take him to meet Simyn in light of this new information, turn to 108."

Also, I don't know why the program I used to shuffle the numbers didn't separate 108 and 109.

Someone double check for me: Is Spell (Counter) used in the story? I sent an updated email and attachment after Joe's approval of the story, but it may have gotten mixed with the original I sent to Charlie. I had removed Spell (Counter) because I did not find a place to insert it in the story.

I must say, the humility I feel over these two small errors makes me have a much greater appreciation for the exasperation of Mongoose trying their best to make sure everything works, only to have something slip by and get published erroneously.

Those of us (I include myself, because I have in the past voiced disapproval with minor things) who demanding perfection and complaining because one little thing is wrong in a book need to lighten up. I spent hours writing, linking, reading, checking links, checking geography, checking timelines, etc., and still the errors occurred. Consider Project Aon--our gold standard in revising and correcting. They will tell you that long after they have published books, someone has found a minor error that they have had to correct.

We are human. We should remember what we do (and sometimes mis-do) is all being done out of love for our common interest--Lone Wolf.

Back