BF Evo, future weapons

reviving an old but good thread here is the Reaper UAV:
reaper.jpg

A modified Predator designed to engage ground targets. It's the same size as the A-10, four times the size of the predator and can carry 14 Hellfires!

Here's a link to a good article: http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070715/D8QD61V80.html

To Sgt. B.:
Even if the bird could carry 100 Hellfires, or 1000. . . one enemy attack (air oder ground) with cheap slugs could take it out. Think of the cost equation.

And to the Land Warrior article from Hiro:
War ist won by strategy first, then by spirit of fighting men, then by equipment. How else can you explain the desaster WW2, of Vietnam, Afghanistan or Irak? In Irak, where a 280 million people (with a far superior military) is beaten by a 20 million backwater populace (fighting with a rabble of weapons 30 years outdated)?
And do not get me wrong, man, I know what is at stake in Irak, and I would very much like to see the US as a clear victor in Irak. . .

And for the funds. It is a shame! I wish that US top managers would be sent to fight in Irak. Think of an army, where every infantryman can afford equipment worth of 100 million dollars. For every f***** year. . .

Richgo:

Ahem...let's see:

-Disaster of WW2? For whom? And equipment played a BIG role in that war...
-Disaster of Vietnam: The war was lost at home, not within the country itself. We were effectively winning untill the Tet Offensive turned public opinion at home against the war.
-Disaster in Afghanistan: That's actually planning's fault. We didn't finish the job....though, what Disaster? Seriously, each time the Taliban comes back, they're either killed by the NATO forces in country or by the locals...
-Disaster in Iraq: Well, the War went well, the Occupation isn't doing so hot.... They HAD one of the largest military's in the world... we moped the floor with them. Just ask the Brits! They had a tank battle (largest since WW2 for them) near Basra!

As for the rest of your rant: Bwah?

Some people never get ist right. . . Hiro, strategy. Strategy. Not bashing.

Besides, I am British. Maybe that cools your nerves. And I am no pacifist. But critic in itself is not bad. Closing ones eyes to reality is.

Every idiot can drop bombs on villiages, like in Afghanistan. Planing fault. . . strategy. And those Afghans even defeated the Russians. . .
A war lost home is a war lost home. WW2. . . the Russians won it.
Strategy, Hiro. . . not ranting.
And the war in Irak is still going on Hiro. . . it is not won. . . Strategy! How else would you explain dead soldiers. . . car accidents?

I do not question the troops, which do wartime service. But you do not only need balls in war, you also need brains! Fancy equipment alone never won a war.

The thing about Iraq is that what is going on there now would have happened when Saddam died even if we hadn't gone in to try a remove him. As soon as he was gone his sons would have started squabbling over the spoils and the iron grip he held over the disparate parts of the population would have vanished and they would have been able to release their pent up frustrations on one another built up under his regime (or in the case of the Kurds for centuries under Arab domination).
The only difference is that we wouldn't be standing in the middle getting shot at, unless we went in to try and sort out the mess...

Iraq is a non-country it just an area of the Ottoman Empire that the British nabbed after the first world war. That is the only reason that its effectively three different constituent parts are grouped together at all. They are divided by ethnicity, religious beliefs, and the gross mistreatment of the majority of the population by Saddam's regime.

Nick

Richgo22 said:
Some people never get ist right. . . Hiro, strategy. Strategy. Not bashing.

Besides, I am British. Maybe that cools your nerves. And I am no pacifist. But critic in itself is not bad. Closing ones eyes to reality is.

Every idiot can drop bombs on villiages, like in Afghanistan. Planing fault. . . strategy. And those Afghans even defeated the Russians. . .
A war lost home is a war lost home. WW2. . . the Russians won it.
Strategy, Hiro. . . not ranting.
And the war in Irak is still going on Hiro. . . it is not won. . . Strategy! How else would you explain dead soldiers. . . car accidents?

I do not question the troops, which do wartime service. But you do not only need balls in war, you also need brains! Fancy equipment alone never won a war.

I'm a little confused, i can't see where Hiro has directly said that technology is the only factor in winning a war in his post about Landwarrior. I saw him announce he'd found an article about Landwarrior and then posted it. I see where it occured to you to attack him over it.

Actually Richgo, I'm getting the feeling that you make sense only to yourself. Clean up your posts so others can understand them (an example would be: A war lost home is a war lost home. You're missing the word at).

Edit: Oh, and you WERE ranting, so don't kid yourself.

I am sorry for that view. I would not like to attack Hiro. I only wanted to state that equipment is fine, but equipment alone will not win wars. I apologize if I got it wrong.

To Irak: The day the troops went in, I told my wife that that fight would be easy enough to win, but it would be impossible for the US to hold that country.
To hold it, the US and allies would had to use the same sort of terror that Saddam did. And as Hiro stated, Vietnam was lost home.

Parascope Urban Combat Sight (UCS): Kill the Enemy from Behind Cover

http://www.defensereview.com/stories/ausawintersymposium2007/MTC%20Technologies%20Optic_1/DSC02676.JPG
http://www.defensereview.com/stories/ausawintersymposium2007/MTC%20Technologies%20Optic_8/DSC02683.JPG
http://www.defensereview.com/stories/ausawintersymposium2007/MTC%20Technologies%20Optic_9/DSC02677.JPG

Back in early March (2007) DefenseReview got to view and handle a very interesting lightweight combat optic product at AUSA Winter Symposium 2007 called the Parascope Urban Combat Sight (UCS), which is currently being marketed by MTC Technologies (MTCT) and Tactical & Survival Specialties, Inc. (TSSI).

-Read More-
http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1033

My take on this is 'Hey, that's clever and silly looking'.

Hiromoon wrote-Disaster of Vietnam: The war was lost at home, not within the country itself. We were effectively winning untill the Tet Offensive turned public opinion at home against the war.

QFT!

I clearly remember those times. The USArmy won hands down the Tet Offensive. The NLF was effectively destroyed. The NVA was pushed back on every front. The problem was the news folks were caught in the middle of it, and that scared the hell out of them! They didn't think the VC were capable of such a attack, nor at the time the US military. But, from a military standpoint the Tet offensive was a complete disaster not for the USA but North Vietnam.

Really the real disaster of 'Nam was the broken promises that were not kept to the US Allies. They to this day are suffering from the pull out, made then. Hope the same doesn't happen again to the allies living within Iraq. While I was not keen on the War in the first place, I do believe a nation should keep it word. Something Bush 1 forgot when he didn't finish the job in the 1st Gulf War.

Well, as long as they keep the feature limited to 90-deg. We don't want some guy to switch the sight to 180 and shoot himself, or even worse set it to 360 and shoot himself in the bum. :lol:

Well, you might remember the German modification to their rifles so they could shoot around corners? Apparently that gave the crew of self propelled guns the ability to defend themselves against infantry climbing all over their vehicles. They'd stick the barrel up and use the strange sight to aim...

This is basically the same princible, without the curved barrel.

The Old Soldier said:
Hiromoon wrote-Disaster of Vietnam: The war was lost at home, not within the country itself. We were effectively winning untill the Tet Offensive turned public opinion at home against the war.

QFT!

I clearly remember those times. The USArmy won hands down the Tet Offensive. The NLF was effectively destroyed. The NVA was pushed back on every front. The problem was the news folks were caught in the middle of it, and that scared the hell out of them! They didn't think the VC were capable of such a attack, nor at the time the US military. But, from a military standpoint the Tet offensive was a complete disaster not for the USA but North Vietnam.

Really the real disaster of 'Nam was the broken promises that were not kept to the US Allies. They to this day are suffering from the pull out, made then. Hope the same doesn't happen again to the allies living within Iraq. While I was not keen on the War in the first place, I do believe a nation should keep it word. Something Bush 1 forgot when he didn't finish the job in the 1st Gulf War.

Great book on the subject is "Unheralded Victory" by Mark W. Woodruf, i recommend it

Parascope Urban Combat Sight (UCS): Kill the Enemy from Behind Cover

Coincidentally something like this appeared in the episode of CSI:Miami that screened here in the UK last night :)

Hiromoon said:
What? They have a great sense of humor... sure, they have a tendency to invade those people who don't get their jokes....

To quote the great Mark Twain,

"A German joke is no laughing matter."

Hiromoon said:
Yep.

And we're looking into a device that makes you crap yourself, but...yeah. We're sick ****s when you think about it.

It's called a Vindaloo. Deadly unles countered by swift application of 10 pints of lager. Possible side effects include uncontrollable flatulence (the efflux of which may be in breach of chemical wweapon treaties) and sudden and unexpected trouser explosions (and not the good kind).

G.

What I do not understand: Why not use grenades, shot, thrown or rocket powered, against enemies in cover? I know the Land Warrior suffered from too weak grenades.

In the Bundeswehr they used to shoot though cover with MG3 and G3. Both slugs go trough walls well. That worked good in urban combat. Maybe the "light" rifles (5,56mm) of modern armies are not the right way?

The shooting around the corner stuff was made for bunker crews. The bend barrels lasted for 30 to 60 shots. Tanks crews used to defend themselves with hand grenades, which were released through small hatches.

To the German jokes: There is only one country in the nowaday world which regulary invades small countrys.

Richgo22 said:
What I do not understand: Why not use grenades, shot, thrown or rocket powered, against enemies in cover? I know the Land Warrior suffered from too weak grenades.

In the Bundeswehr they used to shoot though cover with MG3 and G3. Both slugs go trough walls well. That worked good in urban combat. Maybe the "light" rifles (5,56mm) of modern armies are not the right way?

The shooting around the corner stuff was made for bunker crews. The bend barrels lasted for 30 to 60 shots. Tanks crews used to defend themselves with hand grenades, which were released through small hatches.

To the German jokes: There is only one country in the nowaday world which regulary invades small countrys.

Ok, again only one german remark that had nothing to do with warfare. What is with your paranoia? Plus i thought you were British? Also, no there is not only one country that regularly invades small countries- if your remark is aimed where i think it is that nation is part of an Alliance that also support it in it's other areas of operation, therefore not alone. Please if your going to off on one at people at least make sense.

Rounds that routiely go through walls and into unseen areas are more often than not viewed as 'less desireable' as noncombatants and lord knows what else may be on the other side....

check out youtube, do a search of "concealment does not equal cover" or something like that. It's a 2 part video, about 15minutes each done by marine testing crews. They try out 9mm, 5.56mm, 7.62mm and some other nasties against a structure of wood, brick, cinder block, etc.

I take that on "less desireable" for the rounds. But why then bomb whole villages, like in Afghanistan? I am not bickering. . . only thinking. That does not make sense. In urban combat, civilian will never do good. And the slugs will go through one wall, with killing power, not through several walls.
In the nowadays Bundeswehr a "drill-sergeant" told me, that when the enemy is in cover (a building, for example), put up the MG3 and make some thousand holes in it. Later go a see what is left over.

To angel: I will quit making remarks, that could be read as political. . . I am a Brit, but I have a brain. I never understood why it is wise to omit politics and religion in talk. . . untill I came over and saw it for myself. So, althrough this board is British, not US-american (you are guests here), I will make this consession for my US-american friends.

For the grenades: As I understood it, the Land Warrior grenades would count spins, to get the distance to go off. The grenades were to small. But why combine a grenade launcher with an assault rifle in this way?
Why not use much bigger grenades, say 60 or 70mm, from a squad operated launcher. Use two lasers of differnt wave, and give the grenade a simple reciever for both. One laser would be on the launcher sight, the other in the squad (sergeants or corporals gun sight). Both lasers have to converge on the target (behind and above cover), which needs a certain angle between laser one and laser two. According to wavelength one or two meters between the lasers would be enough.

Fire the grenade. It will be set off right on target, where the lasers converge, as the second laser user (sergeant or corporal) wishes. The launcher could maybe fire several differnt muntions, also anti-tank.
This is an old german bombing method (knickebein), which used not laser but radio signals for night bombing. Sturmgeschütze (Stug) used a similar method, without laser or radio, with "Abpraller", bouncing off grenades, to get airbursts over troops in cover.

Back