Battlestar Galactica RPG

Should Mongoose pursue and publish a Battlestar Galactica RPG?

• Frack yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LTJason

Mongoose
Personally while a BSG miniatures game would be a neat idea, I think I d20 OGL Battlestar Galactica RPG would be frackin' awesome!

Set it in the current BSG universe within The Fleet. Players could play characters from the Galactica or civilians within the fleet. The options are endless!

I'm too fed up of D20, OGL, etc. I think that a simpler, less structured, more cinematic system would do better. Besides, this RPG will be made by someone sooner or later because, I swear, it's the hottest license right now and it's been born a winner; it's the kind of license that brings new people to gaming because they are fans of <whatever>, and then, more than ever, a system less intimidating than D20 would be in order.

Frak, this is the game I really wanna get... why nobody has the rights yet?

BTW, Wizkids is almost to release the Collectable Card Game... they could grab the rpg license too. They have signed contracts with Pinnacle to publish rpgs for their licenses, so...

I would like to see this game but not sure how long it would last.

The new series lacks the adventuring plot line of the original. What we have is a static setting, like adventuring in a single city. Most encounters would be social interaction rather than combat, unless the players are military.

Lane Shutt said:
What we have is a static setting, like adventuring in a single city. Most encounters would be social interaction rather than combat, unless the players are military.

Believe it or not, that's roleplaying as it should be, even in a military setting. Though if "Blackmarket" is anything to go by, then the Military don't have the monopoly on violence...

Static setting though..? That's not the impression I get from watching Season 2 - things are in flux to say the least. Not even the military is that static ;) Plus you have the opportunities raised by the capturing of Cylon ships, their jump range far exceeds that of the Colonials, you just have to have the will to use them, and know where you're going.

Whilst the easiest thing to do would be to run a campaign based around the fleet, there's potential for a resistence campaign set on and around the Cylon occupied colonies (and you don't need to be military to get violent there..).

There's whole issue of the political/economic game whereby the players make their play for power in the rag tag fleet, be it legitimate or otherwise...

I have to agree with frobisher's evaluation. The "traditional" D&D model is to go on some kind of quest or adventure, however IMHO, there is plenty of role-playing opportunities within the BSG universe.

I have just finished creating a BSGd20 campaign setting supplement for D20Modern/Future... if anyone would like a copy, e-mail me at wcanavan@comcast.net and I'll be happy to send one to you in pdf. format.
Bill Canavan

Waylan Wolf said:
I have just finished creating a BSGd20 campaign setting supplement for D20Modern/Future... if anyone would like a copy, e-mail me at wcanavan@comcast.net and I'll be happy to send one to you in pdf. format.
Bill Canavan

Yeah, I've noticed your work over on the Wizards boards, where I lurk on occasion. Looks quite comprehensive from the posts I've seen so far, I have to say.

Chobbly

LTJason said:
Personally while a BSG miniatures game would be a neat idea, I think I d20 OGL Battlestar Galactica RPG would be frackin' awesome!
Only if it's not d20/OGL. Sorry, but you asked... :wink:

LTJason said:
Set it in the current BSG universe within The Fleet. Players could play characters from the Galactica or civilians within the fleet. The options are endless!
Well... "endless" is not the word I'd use. A full-fledged RPG should also account for the period before the Cylon attack, maybe the early Cylon Wars.

I hope its D20, I know the system has its limits but I hate having to learn new systems. Besides if its D20 we will get that much more source material since a big chunk of the book wont have to be about the mechanics. It might also get a few new players looking for a new game but not wanting to learn a new system or shell out a lot of $$ for a rule book plus background book etc.

I'd agree with stevinator except that I'd want it to be OGL. That way it's the best of both worlds. Besides, most people who hate D20 have access to conversions to whatever system they want.

On my To Do list is to do rules for Galactica, probably using the d20 system, set in the original series right about where the original series left off.

Just about all characters would be Colonial Warriors, so I'd need plenty of feats and skills so they could differentiate themselves. Plots would be easy, because the PCs could be exploring a planet and get into some situation. I suppose players could also be medics or scoundrals.

Now that I think of it, maybe the Star Wars d20 would be a good starting point for developing this idea. X-Wing, Colonial Viper, what's the difference?

I've thought about doing a Battlestar Galactica/Babylon 5 crossover, but I'm not sure where I'd go with that.

Michka said:
I'd agree with stevinator except that I'd want it to be OGL. That way it's the best of both worlds. Besides, most people who hate D20 have access to conversions to whatever system they want.
I agree, OGL is the way. I like more the OGL games than the D20 and I was very when I learnt than B52E would be OGL (like Mutants & Masterminds, one of my favorites games with B5) :D

Utgardloki said:
On my To Do list is to do rules for Galactica, probably using the d20 system, set in the original series right about where the original series left off.

Just about all characters would be Colonial Warriors, so I'd need plenty of feats and skills so they could differentiate themselves. Plots would be easy, because the PCs could be exploring a planet and get into some situation. I suppose players could also be medics or scoundrals.

Now that I think of it, maybe the Star Wars d20 would be a good starting point for developing this idea. X-Wing, Colonial Viper, what's the difference?

I've thought about doing a Battlestar Galactica/Babylon 5 crossover, but I'm not sure where I'd go with that.

You don't necessarily have to be Warriors. What about all the civilian ships? There must be a huge variety of potential character classes on board.

I'd look at modifying either the 2nd edition of Babylon 5 or Starship Troopers. I'd still use the starship stats from Star Wars, but there's a certain clumsiness to Star Wars. I was never able to overcome that when I ran the game.

Mongoose's OGL system runs faster and simpler. It's like they were written by people who actually play role-playing games. Mongoose has some very talented writers and game designers. Lousy spell checkers, but talented writers and game designers.

Back