Battlestar Galactica RPG

Should Mongoose pursue and publish a Battlestar Galactica RPG?

• Frack yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
darth_azabrush said:
You don't necessarily have to be Warriors. What about all the civilian ships? There must be a huge variety of potential character classes on board.

But the original series repeatedly demonstrated how useless the non Warriors were (excpet robot daggits obviously...).

Let's face it, in that setting all the fun is in being a Warrior (it's never fun being a robot daggit, ask the chimp :) )

You don't necessarily have to be Warriors. What about all the civilian ships? There must be a huge variety of potential character classes on board.

The main concern is getting the PCs together for the action.

It's easy to assume that the the PCs are on a patrol when they discover something that requires attention. Its also not to hard to get a PC medic or scientist involved. But in BG, it is harder to figure out why a couple of colonial warriors, a singer, and a back-stabbing rogue are doing something together.

For a one-shot, some of the PCs can be from the planet the BG PCs are investigating.

True, but Cassiopia eventually became a nurse in the fleet, and Boxie is the son of one of the leading characters, albeit step son.

Still if the new seires is anything to go by, should be pretty easy getting a mix of backgrounds, if you want them, just don't go expecting the civilians to be allowed to investigate the planet. But nobody would expect a warrior to mine the minerals essential for fleet survival, but the mine would need some warrior contingent to safe guard it, just in case :twisted:

Back to the original point, HELL YEAH!!!!
Definitely buy a BSG rpg whatever the system

small-god-jove said:
True, but Cassiopia eventually became a nurse in the fleet, and Boxie is the son of one of the leading characters, albeit step son.

Still if the new seires is anything to go by, should be pretty easy getting a mix of backgrounds, if you want them, just don't go expecting the civilians to be allowed to investigate the planet. But nobody would expect a warrior to mine the minerals essential for fleet survival, but the mine would need some warrior contingent to safe guard it, just in case :twisted:

Back to the original point, HELL YEAH!!!!
Definitely buy a BSG rpg whatever the system

What about Baltar? A scientist would be useful and being a secret traitor would be fun to roleplay.

I'd buy either version of BSG. I'm not a fan of the new series but I know millions of other who would die to lay thier grubbies on a new RPG. I would be happy to have the new series as long as it has some info about the early war. Then I will have all the info for running the old series.

Very true, but it would take a lot of work on the part of the spy player and the GM, but Baltar is avery cool characer, in both series.

Essentially the two series are both set in the same time frame, both after the attack and rout of humanity by the cylons, and the stories are essentially the quest for Earth. Its the time when the two series were written that's the main difference, if you want some idea of the cylon war era then the ps2 Battlestar Galactica game is a good reference. You have to remember that in the 70's it was perfectly acceptable for female characters to be seen as nothing more than sex objects, and cast as such. Nowadays that is not really acceptable.

A Battlestar Galactica RPG with a mix of character types would be good for a one-shot game. A few PCs could be experts whose skills are vitally needed for the fleet to survive. (I'm thinking of the episode with the ice planet as an example, here.) But it would be hard to work a continuing series around always getting the same characters together to investigate the planet.

(As was pointed out, Cassiopia was a nurse. And who would want to role-play a 6 year old kid?) The series also constantly cut between the Galactica and the crew on the planet, but in an RPG, who would want to be stuck on the Galactica listening to Adama whine about how vital success in the latest endeavor was, while the rest of the party is having fun blasting cyclons on some hostile planet?

A continuing campaign could be had with a party of warriors who investigate various planets and get caught up in various kinds of action. This would be especially good for a small playing group where there are only two players available, since reconnaisance missions were traditionally in pairs.

I don't think I'd actually buy a Galactica RPG book unless it included notes on the first series. I haven't seen the new series (which is the fourth series, if I am correct), but it is the first series that really inspires me.

Utgardloki said:
I don't think I'd actually buy a Galactica RPG book unless it included notes on the first series. I haven't seen the new series (which is the fourth series, if I am correct), but it is the first series that really inspires me.

From your descriptions, it's quite clear that you haven't seen the new series (and I don't mean this in a negative way). It's just finished its second full series BTW (Mini series followed by 10 then 20 episodes).

The civilian fleet personell are more relevant to the new series, and mostly irrelevant to the original series (beyond their whining and getting into trouble). The political game isn't there in the original, but then out and out ballsie fun very much is (Cylons that drop like flies etc) whereas under the same circumstances you'd be killing characters in the new series.

The original series would really warrant a full book by itself (which, let's face it any license holder could easily do) which might bear some resemblence with certain pieces of eqiupment but that would be about it.

It would be economic suicide to acquire the license and not centre it around the new series, but it would also be foolish to not use it to produce some product for the original as well.

Shadow Queen said:
I lent season 1 to a friend and his wife and they love it better than the original BSG and they loved the re-designed Cylons

All of my crowd love BSG too - it's funny, everyone I know who liked B5 now likes the reincarned BSG too. I know this is a bit of a bump, but thought I'd mention that with the announcement of the Caprica series, there's even more potential back story to the licence.

I liked the original series too, but I think I'd rather any potential RPG licence focus on the new series. You could always have the old series feature as a one-off sourcebook if need be, kind of like what Frobisher suggests.

Chobbly
(Anyone fancy a BSG miniatures skirmish game?)

Chobbly said:

It might be limited in scope (though season 3 opens up possibilities...) but hell yes :)

But it would be a nasty, deadly and quite personal skimish game. Me like a lot.

There you go Mongoose, Chobbly's going to write you a BSG Skirmish game ;)

frobisher said:
Chobbly said:

It might be limited in scope (though season 3 opens up possibilities...) but hell yes :)

But it would be a nasty, deadly and quite personal skimish game. Me like a lot.

There you go Mongoose, Chobbly's going to write you a BSG Skirmish game ;)

Ha ha, nice one Frobisher. I somehow think Mongoose has more proficient miniature games designers on staff than me! :) (I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to work on any Dr Who or BSG RPG projects if Mongoose ever had them though).

You could do all manner of things with a BSG skirmish game. Fast and deadly it would have to be, and the Cylons absolutely devastating without either lucky shots or good teamwork/planning on the part of their opponents. The Cylon player could also as part of their setup choose to have a rogue agent within the opponent's army, one of the Cylons that look like Humans which can change sides during the battle. In fact, a key element of the Cylon player's arsenal could be how he manipulates the other player(s) during the game, kind of like the show in fact.

You could have units of Colonials (expensive but good weapons, teamwork and morale) or units of civilians (like those on Caprica, fighting their own war, cheaper than colonials and with improvised weapons). You could have special characters like Helo (good survival/deployment abilities, after all he spent a long time on the run), Apollo (good general tactical abilities) or Starbuck (bit of a wildcard, but totally devastating, always causing failiures or criticals on one random game turn, etc).

I'll shut up now - it wasn't me who started it, honest... :p

Chobbly

It might interest people to know that SCI FI has announced that there is going to be a prequel to Galactica called Caprica that is set before the First Cylon War and charts the rise of the cylons and their rebellion and eventual exile. This would provide an excellent area for an rpg maybe? both pre destruction of the colonies and post.

Also while there are no aliens so far you could always turn each human colony with different beliefs and all. Perhaps subraces even? The Borellian Nomen in the original series werent aliens really but just humans who adapted to the harsh deserts of their home world.

Reborn said:
Chobbly you just gave me a great idea! A Berk RPG!!! :lol:

Reborn, you get kudos for being the first to recognise Berk. Nice one :D , although I'm not sure of the class advancement potential, take Boni the skull for instance....

Chobbly

Lol. I'm only 16, but I used to watch it when I was younger. It's hilarious! I think I'll go and watch my video now :lol:. It got pulled off the air because of so many sexual innuendos "It's bonking time again, fans" :lol: As he starts to whack some pink tentacle like things with a large plank of wood. As for Boni, surely he would be a rogue? "Not here". As for Berk - Fighter/Mage I was thinking...

Errr BSG is cool too; I'm totally not posting here just because of Berk :roll:

Chobbly said:
Reborn said:
Chobbly you just gave me a great idea! A Berk RPG!!! :lol:

Reborn, you get kudos for being the first to recognise Berk. Nice one :D , although I'm not sure of the class advancement potential, take Boni the skull for instance....

Chobbly

Didn't you have a thread a while back where we all made Trap Door references. I knew it was Berk ages ago, don't go giving Reborn ideas above his limited abilities, just makes me have to knock more sense into him later :lol:

LBH

Back