Babylon 5 Zocalo Questions Thread

skalvar

Mongoose
Hello Everyone!

If you have any questions about The Zocalo, its markets or the various things you can buy please post them to this thread.

If there are NO questions or problems thank the editor, not me. :)

Shannon
Status: WoFing between changing diapers/deciphering 'coo-la-lu-gu'

I just picked my copy up yesterday and there are sections that just jump out at me which are great but the art work towards the back is almost as bad as my best efforts which are very poor.

I mentioned this to a friend as we were playing B5 last night and suggested that her husband who is an artist get in touch with you folks.

Please don't put any art work in that is as poor as those Narns with weapons in the back of the Zocalo book.

Sidney

I have to agree with Sidney, these drawings felt like work in progress...
Also, the index could've been better. For instance, instead of listing all the weapons
in alphabetical order, it would have been great to have them sorted by racial origin.
They're already sorted alphabetically in the weapon section.
Still, the book is a fine addition to the line overall.
Far better than a mere list of equipment.

I pondered sorting the weapons by race. In fact, I think I still have the excel file with the race variable - let me see if I can find it. If I can, I'll post the sorted list.

Shannon

Anonymous said:
I pondered sorting the weapons by race. In fact, I think I still have the excel file with the race variable - let me see if I can find it. If I can, I'll post the sorted list.

Shannon

Thanks Shannon

LBH

Abbai
Water Blade
Wave Projector

Brakiri
Comet Grenade
Comet Bringer

Centauri
Illusion Grenade
Neck Ribbon
Palm Needle-thrower
Nobles's Broach
Diplomats Broach
Dancer's Swords

Drazi
Ann
Shenn
Jedui
Kuf

Gaim
Gaim Hold-out
Gaim Blast Caster
Gaim Blast Rifle

Human
Incendinary Grenade
Napalm Grenade
Armoured Coat
Fibre Knuckles
Arm Shields
Steel Chain
Hardened Knife

Markhab
Whisperer
Sin Stick

Minbari
Grav Grenade
Incense Bruner
Reflecting Stone
Flashing Stone
Sha'gal Gravity Rifle

Narn
Flail
Thrasher Pistol
Thrasher Rifle
Thrasher Grenade
G'Quan'Dao
G'Dok'Dao
K'nok
T'Dao

Vree
Disrupter Pistol
Disrupter Rifle
Disruptor Tripod

The Drazi Breaker. The picture has "needles and venom" written in the picture, but the description and rules have nothing about venom.

Was this a post-edit oops, or just something that never got mentioned except by the sketch artist?

Bry

B_Steele;

The Breaker is more of a tool than a weapon but I suppose someone could use it to deliver contact poisons. It sounds like the sketch artist went one way while I went another. Hardly uncommon in any industry. :)

Either idea works. If you wanted to go with the artists more lethal variation it might look something like this:

Assassin's Drazi Breaker
Cost: 200 cr.
Availablity: Restricted

Item works as a normal Drazi breaker until the user 'charges' it with a vial of poison. The next person struck by the breaker must make a saving throw against the poison's effect.

Shannon

Thank you very much Shannon for your continuous support, it is strongly appreciated.
It shows how professional you are. 8)

The Breaker's description is a little ambiguous, it seems to suggest that the blood is drawn from the wearer's hand, not the target.
(in which case putting poison on the needles would be a suicidal thing to do)

The wielder takes no damage if he has natural DR and a specified amount if he does not.
How does the blood get drawn if the needles do not penetrate 1 pt DR?

The entire thing *could* be solved by simply saying that the needles penetrate the target (and still provide the skill bonus) rather than the wielder, and that the target takes the damage and it is his blood left as a handprint.

Perhaps a touch attack could be made to use this in combat.

*EDIT*
There are other things I have some issues with (related to other equipment), but I'll leave it here for now :)
All in all, the book seems very well done, just some things that could be better explained or refined.

No touch attack intended, since it does no damage. The description isn't entirely clear and the illustration doesn't help but these are the Drazi we are talking about. The glove does damage to the user and leaves a bloody handprint on the target. It's not a weapon, just a way of scaring the *bleep* out of someone. The damage is low enough for Drazi to use it without fear but anyone else gets a sharp sting.

If you want to make it a weapon, go ahead. I'm always in favor of folks customizing books for their own games. It's part of the entertainment progam (excellent) we offer...

:)

Back to tending baby.

Shannon

I will continue to monitor this thread (as well as the boards in general) if anyone needs clarifications or help. :)

Frankly I am a bit suprised no one has anything to say about the shopping games. Oh well. Must have written them in a lucid moment.

Shannon

skalvar said:
Frankly I am a bit suprised no one has anything to say about the shopping games. Oh well. Must have written them in a lucid moment.

I have to admit to my copy of the book sitting on the shelf since I got it (along with most of what I've got in the last two months)...

However, at a glance, the shopping rules look cool :)
Certainly not something to introduce every single time someone wants to visit a store, but I can see myself trying to come up with a "treasure hunt" type scenario where characters have limited time and resources to get everything on a shopping list... now I just need to come up with a story so that have a reason to do that.... :D

mthomason said:
I have to admit to my copy of the book sitting on the shelf since I got it (along with most of what I've got in the last two months)...

I know that feeling!

mthomason said:
However, at a glance, the shopping rules look cool :)
Certainly not something to introduce every single time someone wants to visit a store, but I can see myself trying to come up with a "treasure hunt" type scenario where characters have limited time and resources to get everything on a shopping list... now I just need to come up with a story so that have a reason to do that.... :D

Something along the lines of "A day in the Strife"? Someone is demanding items or they'll kill an ally/relative, etc of one or more of the PCs??? Add a time limit et voila!

LBH

Back