Armageddon shipviewer, help keep me honest.

lastbesthope

Mongoose
Hi all,

As a maintainer of up to date shipviewers for ACTA it's time to set to work on the Armageddon standard. Here's what I intend to put in:

SFOS lists
Armageddon updates
Drakh
Dilgar
E-M War as a seperate listing
Argent's Crusaders (S&P 28)
Ghosts of Omelos (S&P 36)

Here's what I;d like you guys to do:

1) Post here anything else you think should go in the shipviewer, preference is largely for Mongoose lists rather than fan lists, though if the originator wants their stuff put into Shipviewer format as a seperate listing I'll be happy to.

2) If you can see any current errors in my SFOS shipviewer (Accessible through the link below) compared to SFOS (not Armageddon of course there'll be differences) then please let me know so I can sweep them up at the same time.

I don't know when I'll get round to this, but it's best to be prepared.

Thanks

LBH

I'm including the vanguard defense satellites from the E-M war book on the cards for the early EA fleet list. may not be official, but it makes sense.

Chern

Actually - being rather bored, I started this already
incorporating some of the changes from Armageddon (for shadows and vorlons) and the errata - do you want some help on this LBH?

How about a "points counter", to check your fleet is tourney-legal. I might give that a bash tomorrow, I'll give you the code (probably Javascript) if/when it works!

As a maintainer of up to date shipviewers for ACTA it's time to set to work on the Armageddon standard.

And glad I am for it. Life has gotten way to busy for me to keep up with my pet project. I'm happy you've been able to pick this up and run with it.

The Drakh cruiser has anti-fighter to the rear (which is a typo in the Drakh book).

Was that ever officially acknowledged? At the time of release everyone said "That has to be a typo" yet no correction was ever published as far as I know.

How about a "points counter", to check your fleet is tourney-legal. I might give that a bash tomorrow, I'll give you the code (probably Javascript) if/when it works!

You mean something that is smart enough to go through all the point breakdowns and see if the ships you've selected match up? That could actually get tricky. I wrote a program a while ago that created random fleets, but didn't incorporate the FA splits presented in SFoS mostly becasue of the oddities that may occur when you looked at the final list.

Of course, something that allowed you to take a single point and then showed you the breakdowns so you could pick the one you wanted followed by picking the ships you want at the FA breakdown you chose would be neat.

Dread Pirate Burger said:
Special characters would be cool

Too much like putting Rules up, which I don't wnat to do.

Greg Smith said:
The Drakh cruiser has anti-fighter to the rear (which is a typo in the Drakh book).

Greg are you saying the Drakh Cruiser should or shouldn't have AF to the rear? And which rear weapon?

Obsidian said:

You mean something that is smart enough to go through all the point breakdowns and see if the ships you've selected match up? That could actually get tricky. I wrote a program a while ago that created random fleets, but didn't incorporate the FA splits presented in SFoS mostly becasue of the oddities that may occur when you looked at the final list.

Of course, something that allowed you to take a single point and then showed you the breakdowns so you could pick the one you wanted followed by picking the ships you want at the FA breakdown you chose would be neat.

Again, perhaps too much rules content to post up.

Thanks for all the help guys. And Obsidian in particular, no problem my friend, I offered to host the Ship Viewer for partly selfish reasons originally anyway, I'm more than happy to maintain it, I use a full collection of all the sheets at every tourney I play in. Might as weell let other people have the advantage too.

I'm just loathe to put up too much 'Rules content' online, I have considered adding rules to my own personal copy, but then I've bought the rulebooks, not everyone who can access the shipviewer has. I don't want to catch it in the neck from Mongoose for making the game "Open Source"

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Greg Smith said:

Greg are you saying the Drakh Cruiser should or shouldn't have AF to the rear? And which rear weapon?

Your current viewer has the AF in the rear. It should not have. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Not on the Fraggin Neutron laser for sure.

Your Narn G'Tal is actually a useful ship, it needs the cutback of slow loading for e-mines and weak on the Twin particles. Your version is actually balanced.

@Greg, was that ever officially corrected? If do please point me at the post, I'll put a request up for an official ruling on Rulesmasters anyway though.

@Voronesh, unfortunately 'my' version is wrong and will be corrected in the new version. But that's why I put this thread here, to have my mistakes pointed out.

LBH

LBH, one thing I have noticed recently is that the code is strange on the Drakh ships.

When you click the traits line to consolidate the traits to save space, some of the traits get cut off. For instance there are a couple of ships, can't remember which atm, that show GEG but have no value. There are also some weapons that get traits cut off.

This generally isn't a big deal, but if you are going to be changing things, I thought you might want to know.

lastbesthope said:
@Greg, was that ever officially corrected? If do please point me at the post, I'll put a request up for an official ruling on Rulesmasters anyway though.

LBH

I can't find a ruling on here. I though it was in Armageddon but it isn't. It was confirmed as a typo in playtesting, yet mysteriously stayed in the book.

lastbesthope said:
@Voronesh, unfortunately 'my' version is wrong and will be corrected in the new version. But that's why I put this thread here, to have my mistakes pointed out.

LBH

Yes but you cant imagine how much i wish your version would be actually right...........

I get Javascript errors with your current version.

Line: 4
Char: 3
Error: Syntax error
Code: 0
URL: http://uk.geocities.com/l_b_h@btinternet.com/tourney/ShipList.htm

and

Line: 12
Char: 1
Error: Object expected
URL: http://uk.geocities.com/l_b_h@btinternet.com/tourney/Shadows/Shadow_Scout.htm

Seems like your .js files are missing.

As for code errors, I don't maintain the code, so I've PM'd Obby, I just maintain the stats, but point outn code and stat errors alike, maybe Obby can fix it.

LBH

I get Javascript errors with your current version.

Line: 4
Char: 3
Error: Syntax error
URL: http://uk.geocities.com/l_b_h@btinternet.com/tourney/ShipList.htm

That one I am pretty sure comes from LBH's host. It inserts a javascript snippet at the start of each page to make sure you are showing advertisements. This page in its native state contains no javascript at all.

Line: 12
Char: 1
Error: Object expected
URL: http://uk.geocities.com/l_b_h@btinternet.com/tourney/Shadows/Shadow_Scout.htm

It's a problem with capitilazation on the Common directory. The Common directory is spelled with a capital "C" while all the pages are looking for it with a lowercase "c". Becasue of this, none of the tourney pages are working the same way as the SFoS pages. Simple enough fix when LBH has the time.

When you click the traits line to consolidate the traits to save space, some of the traits get cut off. For instance there are a couple of ships, can't remember which atm, that show GEG but have no value. There are also some weapons that get traits cut off.

That's a result of a missing break at the end of the list of specials on the Drakh ships. So the cruiser reads

Code:
Advanced Jump Point <br />
Flight Computer <br />
Gravitic Energy Grid 3

When it should read

Code:
Advanced Jump Point <br />
Flight Computer <br />
Gravitic Energy Grid 3 <br />

Right, I've renamed the common directory in my work in progress copy.

I can't do anything about the server adding javascript, but I ewill make available a zipped copy for viewing offline.

Didn't realise the trailing < br/> was so important. Should there be one nefore every div?

I'll endeavour to sweep that up during the update. I've already fixed the Drakh. (Again in my work in progress version)

Since the Armageddon one will be the be all and end all, I'm probably not going to correct bugs in the earlier versions unless I really get bored. Or enough requests.

LBH

Right, I've renamed the common directory in my work in progress copy.

Can you rename it on the server? Do that and all the oddities from the tournament ship sheets should go away. On your local PC it doesn't matter since Windows isn't Case sensitive like that. On the UNIX box that geocities uses though it makes a world of difference.

Didn't realise the trailing < br/> was so important. Should there be one nefore every div?

No, you just need one after every special attribute. The code I've written that switches it between line separated and comma separated needs that in there or it starts cutting things off as people have mentioned. Stems from the days when this was all being autogenerated from the XML file. It was easier to just put a break after every special attribute than try to figure out if it was the last one. Same holds true with commas, excpet in that case I replace all the breaks with commas and then chop off the last one.

Back