Response on Armageddon Posts

hiffano said:
it'll be patrol level before we know it. . .

It's great that you are doing something about it Matt, however it must be said, thie Saggi issue has existsed since the tourney lists, surely enough time to be noticed and dealt with. The playtesters frequent this board a lot and should have been able to bring it to your attention, if yourself or Bry hadn't picked it up.

this has been addressed before Hiffano, the whole Saggitarrius outcry only began back in May as far as I recall, right as Armageddon had finished playtesting
So how could it be addressed by then?

well it wasn't that glaringly obvious if it took 5 months from the release of the lists for the outcry to start......

and Hiff wanted to know why playtesters hadn't said anything about it, the answer being the last thing we playtested was Armageddon and that finished as the outcry began..

It was obivous that it was overpowered, but most people didn't have a lot of Sag models so the real menace hadn't appeared. It had nearly mosts hits + interceptors. Main Weapon in every arc ( Every other bombardment ship only front). Longest ranged weapon in the the game. Hull 5 when other ships of that many hits was 4. Once the Outcry began they should really looked hard at it and changed it pronto. The book wasn't printed then.

I would like to say that, so far, I like the 'Crusade Era' Centauri. The new ships that seem to be Londo's legacy are nice, and I think they've done a good job with the background on them as well.

I would be hard pressed to find a major supplement for any game that was 100% balanced in every area, that is perfect. And any supplement for any game will always have dissenters on online forums. Things do slip through though. I'd say that Armageddon is about in the high 90-percentile for good game balance.

This includes some high PL ships that some have thought were under powered. Things even out if you know how to put together a decent fleet, it's not a game of single-ship duels. Balanced.

The Sag? It will be addressed in S&P.

I would love more "Emperor Mollari" Era Centauri Ships. Another Battle Level choice would be nice. And a modernized Vorchan that's worth half a ...er. Stone.

I'd like the Dargan to be a more high-tech next gen ship as it was in B5 Wars, the raid level choices are already like a box of quality street as it is

emperorpenguin said:
hiffano said:

It's great that you are doing something about it Matt, however it must be said, thie Saggi issue has existsed since the tourney lists, surely enough time to be noticed and dealt with. The playtesters frequent this board a lot and should have been able to bring it to your attention, if yourself or Bry hadn't picked it up.

this has been addressed before Hiffano, the whole Saggitarrius outcry only began back in May as far as I recall, right as Armageddon had finished playtesting

well the book didn't get printed till september/october if what we are told is true. but it's all pretty much irrelevant now

hiffano said:
emperorpenguin said:
hiffano said:

well the book didn't get printed till september/october if what we are told is true. but it's all pretty much irrelevant now

It went to the printers earlier than that but there were problems.
They'd have had to call it all back and ask us to playtest Sagittarius fleets

as a playtester, I would have thought you would have done that anyway. seriously, and honestly, did any playtester playtest the sag? genuine question, no recrimanations or excuses, it just seems that maybe it somehow wasn't playtested, or you never thought people would be twisted enough to take ten of em ;-)

emperorpenguin said:
hiffano said:
emperorpenguin said:

It went to the printers earlier than that but there were problems.
They'd have had to call it all back and ask us to playtest Sagittarius fleets

So the Sag fleet was playtested, before final print?

hiffano said:
as a playtester, I would have thought you would have done that anyway. seriously, and honestly, did any playtester playtest the sag? genuine question, no recrimanations or excuses, it just seems that maybe it somehow wasn't playtested, or you never thought people would be twisted enough to take ten of em ;-)

Count how many ships there are in ACTA, I didn't have the time to playtest fleets consisting solely of one class and I'm sure the other playtesters felt the same way. None of my opponents ever fielded such fleets either.
The Sag was of course playtested and as long as it is not taken in silly amounts no one seems to have an issue with it

The other check and balance of the tourney list was the "no special missiles"

well by way of comparison look at the Darkhawk or the Xixx torpedo saucers, both perfect examples of FAIR skirmish level missile ships. Even individually I would suggest that the Arma Sag is far to good. Just because it wont break the game to the point of winning it on its own doesnt make it fair ;)

Locutus9956 said:
well by way of comparison look at the Darkhawk or the Xixx torpedo saucers, both perfect examples of FAIR skirmish level missile ships. Even individually I would suggest that the Arma Sag is far to good. Just because it wont break the game to the point of winning it on its own doesnt make it fair ;)

you have got to be kidding!

I remember a lot of posts describing the Xixx as sick when it was first released!

Again I say if the Saggi by itself is SO broken then why did it take 5 months for the outcry to begin? It is only in large numbers that people find it unbalanced

5 months? I recall outcry not long after the release of the tourney fleet where it made it's skirmish debut.

fair enough. What matters is it's been looked at now, and changes pending in S+P.
by the way EP where you been, not seen you around for ages?

Back