2300ad Near Star Map

Strithe

Mongoose
I've completed a near star map in Astrosynthesis 3.0. It has all the canon systems reachable within the normal 7.7 ly limit. The map is compiled using the original near star list, and has color-coded spheres of influence & major routes, as well as secondary or unexplored routes. All the canon star systems are included from the near star list: including the brown dwarfs leading to Ylii space & the Beta Aquilae cluster.

Star type is according the original NSL, & values for stellar data are taken from either the tables in the old Referees guide (just at the table values, I didn't interpolate), or estimated from other sources in the case of the brown dwarfs. I have not done any planetary systems.

UPDATE: Corrected two errors: the missing stars in the Procyon & Mu Herculis multiple systems. The old link above won't work after 12:00 PM EST today, the new one is:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5wm-Lv_yelhX09FR1FaOXpTT0NycVJRN2xSV2Rmdw/edit

A zillion years ago I plugged all the 2300 Near Star List coordinates into a database then had it calculate Traveller jump distances. First thing I discovered was a Jump 1 can't reach the Centauri systems. I had to modify the definition of a Jump distance so it's about 1 1/2 times greater essentially to the far edge of the destination hex.

I then hand drew a map for star placement and put in Jump 1 and 2 routes, the common commercial routes. Sol is very alone in in the center of a sphere. Flare stars mess up travel between usable stars. After this system creation become a study in why colonies are on certain systems based on resources, fuel access and anything the UWP stats might suggest. Makes for an interesting non Imperial, earth centric campaign.

I hope the new 2300 has the NSL and any revision to astronomical data in recent years.

Reynard said:
A zillion years ago I plugged all the 2300 Near Star List coordinates into a database then had it calculate Traveller jump distances. First thing I discovered was a Jump 1 can't reach the Centauri systems. I had to modify the definition of a Jump distance so it's about 1 1/2 times greater essentially to the far edge of the destination hex.

I then hand drew a map for star placement and put in Jump 1 and 2 routes, the common commercial routes. Sol is very alone in in the center of a sphere. Flare stars mess up travel between usable stars. After this system creation become a study in why colonies are on certain systems based on resources, fuel access and anything the UWP stats might suggest. Makes for an interesting non Imperial, earth centric campaign.

I hope the new 2300 has the NSL and any revision to astronomical data in recent years.

According to the preview, it doesn't. More recent & accurate data eliminates a couple of systems (Kimanjano, Dunkelheim, & Vogelheim IIRC) because they are much farther away than in the Gliese 2 data on which the NSL. Plus, the whole French Arm disappears if you adhere to the 7.7 ly limit. "Evil Dr. Ganymede" did his own: http://evildrganymede.net/category/rpgs/2300ad/ and I've plotted my own with more recent data.

The only way you can sort of keep the original setting is to bump up the stutterwarp limit to 8.1 ly, and the arms get weird: the Latin finger bleeds into part of the French Arm (via a connection between Neubayern & Sirius via an intermediary star). It gets really fun with Kaefer space: for one thing, most of the stars in the original setting's Kaefer sphere are likely fictional. So the bugs only get a couple of systems (Lambda Serpentis, Gamma Serpentis, & whatever Triumphant Destiny's capital was, plus some outposts). They can easily cut off Aurure & Hochbaden, which end up sort of "off to one side" relative to the revised French Arm. Plus, the Kaefers have a pathway into the Australian sub-arm as well.

I actually agree with the decision to keep the old map, because certain recent astronomical developments (the possible presence of MANY brown dwarfs in the gulfs between the stars) would require a total re-imagining of the setting. A compromise solution might be to keep the canon locations of the main colonies, and add the recent stellar data for the other stars. I've done that too, and it does keep the arms largely intact, although you still get the weird crossovers between the Latin & French arms, as well as the Kaefer menace to the Australian colonies.

It's funny you mention creating a 2-d hex map, as that's my next project for a player aid in visualizing the universe: I'm doing similar rounding for parsecs: anything under 1.5 parsecs (around 4.9 ly) is 1 hex, and anything 4.9-7.7 is a 2-hex jump. I'm about half-way through that & it's surprising how much of the starmap you can get on there, as far as 7.7-limit systems go. So far I don't have to do too much gerrymandering to make it work (except for the systems in the cluster around Joi / Beta Canum / Crater) & a few other areas. I can even get most of the unexplored & side-route connections in, which I envision in many cases to be routes used by smugglers, pirates, & anyone else trying to avoid unwanted attention from authorities.

If I had had the time and ability, I would have tried to fit the setting to new data, along with any required changes to stutterwarp drives. However, I did not, so going with the old NSL was the best bet.

EDG has recently done some sterling work on this:
http://evildrganymede.net/2012/02/13/stellar-mapping-2300ad-near-star-map/

Strithe said:
I've completed a near star map in Astrosynthesis 3.0.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5wm-Lv_yelhYjVnNFY3X1dTTUNEa1JDeUdLRjRFZw/edit?pli=1
Unfortunately Google is attempting to be Microsoft pushing people over to Chrome (which I refuse to use). I tried my current version of Firefox (v3.whatever) and Safari both were "sorry you don't have our special features designed to keep non-Chrome browsers locked out - go to Chrome" message.

Can I get you to email me that (better yet post it to the MGT-Aids list files area).

GamerDude said:
Strithe said:
I've completed a near star map in Astrosynthesis 3.0.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5wm-Lv_yelhYjVnNFY3X1dTTUNEa1JDeUdLRjRFZw/edit?pli=1
Unfortunately Google is attempting to be Microsoft pushing people over to Chrome (which I refuse to use). I tried my current version of Firefox (v3.whatever) and Safari both were "sorry you don't have our special features designed to keep non-Chrome browsers locked out - go to Chrome" message.

Can I get you to email me that (better yet post it to the MGT-Aids list files area).

I wasn't aware google was that goofy. I've put in a membership request to MGT-Aids (didn't now that group existed until you mentioned it).

Strithe said:
I wasn't aware google was that goofy. I've put in a membership request to MGT-Aids (didn't now that group existed until you mentioned it).
It never has been before now. I have many documents on Google both professional (how I submitted everything for d66 compendium) and family wise. I'm going to be royally pissed if now that info is unavailable to me.

Oh, request already approved.

Back