Your chance to vote in a settigs poll that will...

Which setting would you most like to see done in MRQ??

• Conan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beowulf/Dark Ages

• Earthsea

• Monkey (Baboons NNA!)

• Discworld

• Renaissance Italy/7th Sea (noop)

• John Carter Warlord of Mars

• A good :lol: D&D setting

• Something else

• Whats a setting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
andakitty said:
Thank you. I just looked at the glossary. It looks very interesting. I like the basic concepts better than Eberron (which I have not bought, because I abhor the D20 system, WOTC, Hasbro and avoid buying their stuff no matter how pretty it is). Since it no longer is required I wonder if all the D&D concepts, such as gnomes, will still be included. Also, would some RQ critters replace them? How much rewrite would be necessary before release? Rhetorical questions that probably can't be answered right now, but my interest is definitely aroused. :)

Hiya!

Thank a bunch for your Interest in the Runequest version of Blood Throne!

Blood Throne definately has Post Apocalyptic themes. The current time period is Known as the Age of Blood. It began ten years ago with the betrayal of the people by God-spawn Known as Agarazon. His quest for domination of the continent led to the forging of a pact with the Dark God thurak. In exhcange for unding loyalty,Thurak helped Agarazon open a portal to another world, facilitating the invasion of a race of monstrous beings known as keza-drak.

The Keza-drak took the various nations and people of Simarra completely by surprise and have nearly conquered the entire continent. Refugees of the war have banded together, hiding in freeholds which dot the continent. From these freeholds, adventurers venture out to re-discover this darkened world, bringing hope to its shattered peoples.

We will be bringing a number of traditional "D&D" elements to the Runequest version, bbut I want to ensure that the feel of RQ dominates this version of Blood Throne. We will have new creatures, new races including Half Giants and enigmatic Shodonai, and new forms of magic.

Gnomes definately play a role in the Blood Throne CS. generally speaking, gnomes are split into two seperae tribes ( The Sequire gnomes, an Shek-Tar) who live in a region known as the wild lands. We will also have a number of Gnomish factions who have left the wild lands behind to join in the war against the keza-drak and the minions of Agarazon.

I hope this helped.

If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

I will be looking for it.

By the way, I read your essay on designing the setting. Don't let superficial resemblance to settings/stories already done stop you. Heinlein once stated that there were precisely seven plot devices and everything else was a variation on those themes. I see a great deal of originality in what you are doing and am offering some encouragement. Don't worry about those resemblances; they are inevitable. Write your heart. Maybe this will be the next classic. And if not, it is sure to give some folks pleasure. Good luck! :)

I'm against Conan for the RQ system, the current D20 game is great and really dosen't need to compete with itself.

John Carter would be fantastic, but I would rather see it use the conan style system.

Actually, until I see the system in its entirety its hard to know what would work best in it.

Tim said:
I'm against Conan for the RQ system, the current D20 game is great and really dosen't need to compete with itself.

John Carter would be fantastic, but I would rather see it use the conan style system.

Actually, until I see the system in its entirety its hard to know what would work best in it.

I disagree. It would be great if they gave both sets of stats. Even Hârn products give both D20 and Hârnmaster stats these days.

Tim said:

How would dual statting Conan material for OGL Conan and Runequest be a bad thing?

Both are Mongoose products. If people would prefer to use the Runequest system they are still buying from Mongoose to get it. It looks like a win-win scenario to me. The d20 fans have their Conan game, the Runequest fans have theirs, and Mongoose makes money from both.

Everybody should be happy with that.

Not really. I simply won't buy any game dual stated for D20. Period. It is a waste of space, and I want MRQ to succeed by its own merits, which to me look considerable.

Tim said:

Given that Mongoose would be producing both, it wouldn't be competing with itself. At present there are Conan fans (such as myself) who are not buying the OGL Conan because we simply don't like the system. Ergo, it's not like producing a RQ version of Conan would suddenly deprive the OGL version of sales, because it's not like we're buying the OGL version anyway. As it stands, Mongoose aren't making any money off Conan fans like myself who don't like OGL. It's great you like it, and it works for you, but it's certainly not to everyone's tastes.

What I've suggested in other threads is a core RQ:Conan setting supplement, with online conversion documents for the other existing OGL Conan supplements. That way, there's actually a good, solid foundation core book for Conan fans who dislike the OGL iteration, as well as a reason to then buy various existing OGL supplements, which there currently isn't unless you're prepared to do a lot of conversion work yourself (and have the time to do same). Dual-statting would also be a possibility (though it'd certainly irritate some folks regardless of which system they actually preferred).

cheers!
Colin

I voted for John Carter mostly because I already have my d20 Conan stuff and old D&D Lankhmar stuff, but no John Carter RPG. I would rather have RQ Conan than d20 Conan any day....

andakitty said:
I will be looking for it.

By the way, I read your essay on designing the setting. Don't let superficial resemblance to settings/stories already done stop you. Heinlein once stated that there were precisely seven plot devices and everything else was a variation on those themes. I see a great deal of originality in what you are doing and am offering some encouragement. Don't worry about those resemblances; they are inevitable. Write your heart. Maybe this will be the next classic. And if not, it is sure to give some folks pleasure. Good luck! :)

Thank you so much for your kind words!

I voted for Conan as I think the d20 system is rather cumbersome, especially for a GM. I love the feel and attitude of the d20 Conan system, however. Wonderful writing and research from all involved.

However, if we lived in a perfect world Mongoose would publish a Stormbringer game using the new RQ rules. I know Chaosium has the rights to the property, and it pains me to say it but they've completely dropped the ball with it. The new RuneQuest appears to use the Basic Roleplaying System (likely a much better version than Chaosium has been using) so it would not be difficult at all from a mechanics point of view.

I wonder when Chaosium's rights to Moorcock's work expires...?

Well, it does look like it would be a snap to do a quick conversion, or at least incorporate bits of MRQ into Stormbringer. I am already using bits of MRQ for my homebrew BRP game.

Well i myself just would love to play Lone wolf, Slaine or Conan using the RQ rules, So it would be cool with some rules (or Compainon books) for using one of these settings with a non D20 based system.

Y'know an Amber or a Planescape style fantasy would be cool. And Modern action would, I'm sure, work really well.

But really, I'd like a Napoleonic game.

Lakritsploppen said:
Well i myself just would love to play Lone wolf, Slaine or Conan using the RQ rules, So it would be cool with some rules (or Compainon books) for using one of these settings with a non D20 based system.

All those would be wonderful, and definitely preferable (sorry to all the D20 fans but I just don't like it).

Im running the d20 conan currently, and to be honest it works great. The real secret to a good game is good players and a good GM with a good story Idea in a Good fantasy world. The mechanics are (or at least should be) of secondary consideration. if you are playing a game because of the mechanics and not because of the world and the story, then you are not "role" playing, your "roll" playing. As for a conan ruinquest? What do you need to use the ruinquest game mechanics in the conan world? A book of rules for generating and equipting fantasy heroes, monsters and NPCs, you'll have that soon, setting books describing the world, you already have that. You don't need a special Ruinquest conan game. (It would be redundent.) Once ruinquest comes out you'll already be able to do it. at most you'll need a signs and portents article (ok maby 2 to 3) with some guidlines to make things work.

I would rather see mongoose do something entirely new then rehash something they already have. How about a sci-fi or modern version fo ruinquest system. Or, how about both, once you have core books for Fantasy, Modern and Sci-fi the sky is the limit on the worlds you could play.

So once again, lets not re-hash what we have but push for what we don't have.

Tim said:
Im running the d20 conan currently, and to be honest it works great. The real secret to a good game is good players and a good GM with a good story Idea in a Good fantasy world. The mechanics are (or at least should be) of secondary consideration. if you are playing a game because of the mechanics and not because of the world and the story, then you are not "role" playing, your "roll" playing. As for a conan ruinquest? What do you need to use the ruinquest game mechanics in the conan world? A book of rules for generating and equipting fantasy heroes, monsters and NPCs, you'll have that soon, setting books describing the world, you already have that. You don't need a special Ruinquest conan game. (It would be redundent.) Once ruinquest comes out you'll already be able to do it. at most you'll need a signs and portents article (ok maby 2 to 3) with some guidlines to make things work.

I would rather see mongoose do something entirely new then rehash something they already have. How about a sci-fi or modern version fo ruinquest system. Or, how about both, once you have core books for Fantasy, Modern and Sci-fi the sky is the limit on the worlds you could play.

So once again, lets not re-hash what we have but push for what we don't have.

Call me a roll player instead of a role player if that makes you feel better, but the fact is, system does matter to me. I do not like d20 and would like to have a Runequest Conan book available so that I don't have to spend my time converting mterial instead of playing - the same reason that anyone wants a licensed world product. I really don't think much is going to be needed to do Conan Runequest. A magic system will be needed because Rune Magic doesn't look like a good fit, character creation guidelines for different cultures might be nice, (I'll have to see what the character creation section looks like before knowing whether it is easily adaptable), and a few specialized monsters (again, maybe they are already in the book). Give me that and I can take it from there.

Tim said:
Im running the d20 conan currently, and to be honest it works great. The real secret to a good game is good players and a good GM with a good story Idea in a Good fantasy world. The mechanics are (or at least should be) of secondary consideration. if you are playing a game because of the mechanics and not because of the world and the story, then you are not "role" playing, your "roll" playing.

:roll: Ahem:

a) System does matter. Vast discourses on the importance of system have been discussed by many of us, ad nauseum, for many, many years. Are you familiar with the Forge or GNS models? System, if well-designed, supports a certain feel and genre style of play. However, given that how each individual envisions that feel and style of play is extremely subjective and personal, it stands to reason that different folks will find different systems either fail or succeed on that score. While a system is secondary to good play, it is still an important factor for the "game" part of rpgs (they are roleplaying games after all!). If they weren't remotely important, we'd all be playing the d20 System for everything, because we wouldn't care. RPGs would not have changed and evolved somewhat over time through design, trend, and desire.

b) That whole, "You're roll-playing NOT roleplaying" schtick is passe, old, and thoroughly disproven. If it helps you feel better, I used to use that phrase back when I was a bit of a pretentious twit, so it's a pretty forgivable error to make. Ever hear of the phrase, "There is no BadWrongFun"? If not, learn it; it's taken years for me to get over myself, and come to realise that there is simply no right or wrong way to play rpgs; there is no BadWrongFun (tm). All that matters is that you and your friends are having fun, and given that we're all individuals, that's defined in a huge spectrum of personal approaches and preferences. Looking down our noses at someone because we happen to think our own preferred style of play is the "truest/best/that we're of so much wiser" is arrogant, especially if we're making a pretty strong assumption that just because someone doesn't like [insert your favourite system here] they must be all manner of wrong/not as good/must prefer to play a certain way, etc. Remember the old phrase: Don't ASSUME - it makes an ASS out of U and ME.

c) Before you try to drop old cliches as if they're the benevolent whisperings of a sage, stop and consider your audience. Do you honestly think folks haven't heard what you're saying before? Haven't considered and debated such points for the best part of a decade? Have you considered how many of us here, for example, are extremely experienced game designers and freelancers in our own right? Take me, for example. After roleplaying for the last 23 years in all manners of approaches and styles, with groups wide and varied, I've also been involved in the creation of the following rpg publications:

Talislanta, Midnight Realms, Chronicles of Talislanta, Talislanta: Menagerie, Talislanta: Northern Reaches, Talislanta: Codex Magicus, Godlike: Will to Power, High Medieval, Omni System, Atlantis: Second Age, Iron Kingdoms Players Guide, Iron Kingdoms: Lock & Load, Iron Kingdoms: Monsternomicon, AFMBE: Enter the Zombie, AFMBE: ZM Screen, AFMBE: Book of Archetypes, AFMBE: BoA2, Castles & Crusades: Player's Handbook, Castles & Crusades: Ltd Boxed Set, Arms & Armor, Waste World: Hydra, Waste World: A Fist Full of Credits, with more to come.

Note, some complex systems, some lite systems, a variety of genres, games, and publishers. Plus, I'm responsible for a huge swathe of material for various rpgs online. I've quite literally heard it all before, tried it before, seen it before, and probably believed it before as well. Like I said, I was a twit once. I was pointlessly dismissive of other playstyles. I touted tired old cliches like they were wisdom. Thankfully, I grew up and put such narrow viewpoints behind me.

Want to know what the real secret to a good rpg is (unlike the hackneyed point you raised)? That everyone is having fun, however they personally define it. Don't fall into the trap of assuming that because certain elements (whatever they are) make things less fun (or not fun) for others, they must somehow be wrong/in need of correction, just because said elements don't bother you. The God of Gaming has not yet died and made you Judge, Jury, and Executioner-in-Chief of the Game Police; I've still got a number of years in me before I die, thanks. ;)

Now, like I said, it's great the OGL Conan works for you. Wonderful, have fun, I'm honestly happy for you. But again, remember, what is to your taste is not to everyone's, and however much you might say otherwise, system does have some import. Just because we happen to like or dislike certain systems does not necessarily make us "roll players", which is a pretty arrogant and condescending attitude to take if you stop to think about it. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but that's one reason why it's really important to ditch that whole, "roleplay vs. roll-play" cliche. Are you personally prepared to come out now and tell me (and the other folk you've just so labelled) exactly where we all fall on the vast range of preferred playstyles, just because we really don't like OGL?

Now, the real question is this: Why do you feel it necessary to poo-poo anyone suggesting that they'd like Conan with RQ rules? What exactly is your objection, and please be specific.

cheers!
Colin

PS: It's "RuneQuest" not "Ruinquest".

Hey,Tim :)

I loath D20. There, I've said it again. I dislike it so much I won't buy a D20 product for any reason. I am also a big Hyboria fan, going back 40 years. No Conan OGL book graces my bookshelves. Yes, I could buy Road of Kings. I could buy the rulebook and use RQ combat and whatnot to play it. Actually I have considered doing that with Stormbringer, which I consider the best system in print to simulate the 'feel' of the Conan stories. But I don't want to spend the time or resources (which would be considerable) nor do I wish to encourage any publisher to publish more D20 crap, er, pabulum. On the other hand, if Mongoose were to publish a version of Conan using the RQ rules I would buy it sight unseen. I already know that it is close enough to BRP to make conversion at least easier, if I thought it needed to be converted. So there is a market for a playable version of Conan, that is to say, a non D20 version. Not that they will, sadly, because as you say there is already a version in print. And yeah, I like to 'roll-play'. You really don't mind, I'm sure.

And remember, it's RuneQuest, not 'Ruinquest'. Any version of which makes any version of D20 look like what it is. Pabulum.

Disclaimer; I have the utmost respect for Mongoose, Vincent Darlage, and everyone involved with the Conan OGL. It is the GAME SYSTEM and the parent company that raise my hackles so much.

Tim,
System DOES matter, IMO. It supports the athmosphere of the setting you play.
I say always the right system is one of the 3 pillars of a good RPG. The other 2 are the roleplaying abilities of the participants and a good story/world background.

andakitty,
I also dont much like d20 rules, because of the known shortcomings. But I would buy background material for d20 Conan if our group decide to play any longer story in the conan world. (of course only with our ol´trusted BRP rules) Why? Just for having more reference. Eg. I also bought Heroquest books from Issaries, just for having more background on Glorantha. I am not sure if it is good to restrict yourself only to the books which will appear for official MRQ Conan. The more material the better. :) Alone the Messantia City Box looks VERY promising.

Of course System matters. It's like the laws of physics for the universe you're creating, isn't it? And it's what prevents GM decisions, and consequences of player (and NPC) actions from being arbitrary and open to criticism/debate/squabbling.

And once you've seen a really good system in action, this really comes home hard. Take RQ: there are a total of THREE base game mechanics in the entire system: Characteristic multiplier, Skill roll and resistance table. MRQ will reduce this to two (maybe even one!)

Even then it's all the same essential thing at the core: a simple percentile roll, with the same critical/special/fumble applying to it all.

Have you even seen the sheer amount of detail packed into the 120 pages of RQ2? It's astonishing stuff, and all achievable by having so few game mechanics.

The real incentive behind moving away from System comes from D20 stuff, where it's clunky, overly complicated, and a new game mechanic has to be invented for everything the players can do (more so in the past than these days, admittedly). Even in this case System mattered, in that it influenced folks to downplay the importance of System.

That's not necessary with RQ. Everything is ultra-clean, logical and consistent.

Back