Combat in Traveller: some tactical principles

MonsterX

Cosmic Mongoose
Combat and Tactics in Mongoose 2E

I’ve been playing Mongoose Traveller for about 4 years now, and had time to come to some conclusions both about how the combat system works, and how people actually play it – and these are not always the same thing.

These observations are based on my experience, which is to say it is limited as I haven't played that many different kinds of campaign. Please contribute your insights into how Traveller combat tactics work.

In this post, I am assuming you are doing it using a map of some sort (rather than theater of the mind, which leaves much to the Referee’s discretion), and are using the Core Rulebook rules, including the Central Supply Catalogue, but not the Field Catalogue, which would introduce additional complexity (interesting complexity, but maybe too much of it). Also, it assumes that you are not using optional rules nor house rules.

The first rule is that there really are no tactics that cover every situation. It is very much dependent on the terrain, and on the equipment and skills of the combatants. A setting such as a fancy dinner gone wrong is very different from storming an enemy hideout which is very different from a street fight by rival gangs or a military skirmish in a wild forest. Terrain, rules of engagement, and the types of gear lead to different tactics coming into play.

On D&D "tactics"

A lot of people are coming from D&D, and bring their tactics – or more accurately lack thereof – from this setting. In D&D, characters will often stand next to their opponent and trade blows until someone runs out of hitpoints. Missile or magic uses will stand back behind the fights and deliver damage in much the same way. So parties walk around in a clump. In Traveller, if you stand in the open and trade gunshots with your enemies, they may well get the worst of it if you are lucky, but win or lose, you will die sooner rather than later using that tactic, and usually have a hospital stay after every engagement – unless you have massive tech and gear overmatch in which case you can get away with just about anything (your opponents will come to expect your battledress, though, and at some point will bring an RPG to the fight).

The most effective weapons are firearms and your opponents don’t have to shoot the person in front, except in very crowded situations. Autofire, shotguns and grenades make short work of clumped up targets. The only way not to get killed is to take cover and/or shoot first, and moving around in a clump like a bunch of kindergarteners on a field trip to the zoo holding onto the teacher’s string is just asking to be machine-gunned and grenaded into a red splat on the ground. In most situations, all else being equal, you will want to spread out, take advantage of cover and concealment, and maneuver.

2d6 and probability

All pluses are not equal. With 2d6 the possible outcomes are not distributed equally. Those at the center of the range have a higher probability. The closer to 7 the higher the probability. This means that a +1 is worth a lot when the hit roll is 8+ (16.7%, or the equivalent of +3 on d20), but worth much less when it is 12+ or 4+. The outcomes at the outer edges of the range are very unlikely: a 12+ only gives a 2.7% chance of success, while a 3+ means more than 97% chance of success. Also, in contrast to other games with d20 or d100, the range is fairly narrow. +1 or -1 is a big deal.

The basic “to hit” role is of 8+ gives a person with Level-0 competence with a weapon a 41.66% chance to hit an opponent. Level-1 competence (or taking a minor action to aim) raises this probability to 58.33%, or Level-1 and aiming makes it 72.22%. A typical firearm such as the Autopistol will do an average of 8 damage, or max 15 points, up to 20 points with effect in a very lucky shot, meaning the person to shoot first has a good chance to take you out before you can do anything.

Even if the damage roll is low, every point of damage has the potential to reduce a character’s performance – by reducing endurance and then STR or DEX. An endurance of 0 will reduce what you can carry, prevent you from running far etc. And a second stat to 0 (14) damage, will put you out totally. Even this fairly mundane weapon, has a reasonable chance of leaving the character to shoot second hors de combat.

Of course, body armour changes the equation: the usual cloth for combat situation, or a Protec suit for social events reduces the autopistol’s average damage to 0 plus effect or 4 plus effect respectively, so generally the person will be able to take at least one hit without being put out of action, or maybe several. But as soon as we start to add in armour piercing or more powerful firearms, not to speak of autofire we are right back to the notion that the first shooter will usually win. An ACR on full auto with AP rounds wielded by someone with good skills can easily put 3 hits on someone. Even wearing cloth they’ll probably take upward of 30 points of damage.

Gun Combat Skill (and DEX bonuses thereto)

Gun combat skill makes it far more likely that you will take out your opponent IF YOU SHOOT FIRST. In terms of increasing your chances at hitting in normal ranges, Gun 0, 1, and 2, increase the odds of hitting massively (the closer to the median 2d6 to hit roll needed, the more a +1 or +2 influences the odds). Gun 3 or 4 is usually overkill – rolling a 2, 3, 4 or even a 5 is unlikely, although of course it is nice to have assured hits. Once we get to a 10+ or 12+ shot needed, then Gun 2, 3, or 4 starts to be more important, and/or bonuses from other sources (aiming, enhancements).

What this means is that you get diminishing returns on bonuses in short range gunfights – unless they are dodging, under cover or otherwise giving you minuses, but pluses are more important at longer ranges.

Equipment and pluses

There are a lot of different types of gear that offer too hit bonuses, and often it is not that expensive. Laser dots sights are good at short range. In general, if your gun combat skills are really high you don’t need this stuff, but with Gun Combat 1 or 2, it makes sense to look over the catalogues.

Aiming

Remember your minor action! Generally, it is a good idea to aim if you don’t have another use for that minor action. As with other pluses, it makes sense to think about where on the 2d6 probability curve you are – if the is something you might rather be doing with that minor action. You can get up to +6 for consecutive minor actions spent aiming, but who has time for that crap?

Where this really comes in handy is at long ranges, where it can negate the effects of extreme range. Together with a scope, it can give you virtually automatic hits.

How to shoot first (gear, movement and skills: Tactics, Recon, and Stealth)

In general, you will want to ambush your enemies, and not be ambushed by them. This is easier said than done, but assuming encounter is anticipated by both sides, and neither side has found the other, you will need to find them before they find you.

This means using Recon skill against Stealth. The problem is, not all characters will have these skills. If someone does have both of them, they make a good scout. They’ll need to be in advance of the rest of the group though – and be able to warn the group. Communications tech that can’t be eavesdropped on by your opponents is crucial here. Also crucial is camouflage and detection equipment appropriate to the technological context and environment. LI and thermal imaging is needed if it is dark.

The ones lacking Stealth should be significantly behind those who have it, or they will spoil the surprise.

Contrawise, it helps to have equipment to eavesdrop on your enemies.

Once the shooting starts, if at all possible never end your turn in a spot where you aren’t hidden from enemy fire, or, if there is no such spot, then a spot where you are under cover, or if that isn’t available, then under concealment. Check lines of sight on the map and think about where the enemies are, and where they might be concealed. Move from one cover to the next. If you have to check behind a corner, or through a door, for example, make sure you have movement left over when you are done – to pop back under cover, if you have to. Consider the enemies’ next moves when doing this – they can move six meters and still attack. More than that, and they will have to use their major action, which means you’ll get to shoot first.

Traveller does not have an overwatch mechanic (effectively, overwatch is holding an action until a specific target appears): if the referee house-rules one in, that will change the way you move tactically. Also, the use of suppressing fire rules from the Field Guide changes adjusts this dynamic in a similar way. However, I will write on assumption of using the normal rules. It still works similarly, but with an overwatch rule you can overwatch a spot where the enemy is concealled to cover your friend while he advances.

Tactics skill can give an advantage to initiative rolls. It can improve the ambush you set up, but is especially useful when neither side has surprise. The main challenge is remembering to use it.

Dodging, Diving for Cover and Going Prone

Dodging only works if you DEX 9 or Athletics Dex 1 or better, but if you are, and you’re being shot at, it usually makes sense to do it. If your DEX mod is -2 or -3 it is really attractive. Because you will get a -1 on your next attack from it, consider whether the attack it worth dodging – a body pistol against your combat armour might not be worth the effort. Also, if the too hit is 7 getting it to 8 is a major shift in probability but from 3 to 4 is not as much, so consider how it affects both your odds of being missed, and your prospective target’s odds of being hit by you next time around.

Diving for cover requires more consideration. The -2 is substantial, but the loss of your next attack is a big loss. Of course, this depends on what kind of attack you can really do, whether your friends are likely to finish the bad guys off anyways, and whether the attack is the sort that might blow you away completely if it hits.

Being in a prone position limits your mobility a lot. But it does give the enemy a -1 to hit you. Stacked with cover, this can be a -3. If you are in a fixed position and mean to stay there, this is a good situation.

If you don’t have the dodging skills, diving for cover and staying there in a prone position is a good option, if you are ok with being where you are.

Keep in mind when deciding whether to dodge that do to the effect rules, a -1 essentially manifests as a -1 to damage if you get hit – so not a total loss even if they hit you.

Melee

If the combat is at rifle range, you can probably forget about doing any kind of melee: you’ll be dead before you can get close.

If it is close quarters, though, and you have the skills, you might be better off closing in to melee, because once you’ve done this, the enemy can’t use his longarms against you as longarms – as clubs, yes, but no more autofire. He can use his pistol (though you can parry it). His buddies might still shoot you, though, so watch out for that.

A major difference with melee combat for skilled combatants is that skill is also relevant to defense, as well as offense, because you can apply your melee skill to “parry”. Although as a reaction, it gives a -1 to your next attack, if your skill is high, like 2 or more, it will give you a substantial advantage. Grappling also gives options to manipulate your opponent, and also to inflict damage which does not deduct for armour. High strength gives damage bonuses in addition to what you might get from your effect (meaning your strength damage essentially counts twice in melee, or dex once and strength once). If you have high melee skills it makes sense to try to go into melee when the situation arises. Rapiers and shields give +1s to parrying.

All this means you also have to watch out in close quarters situations for enemies trying to close to melee range, and if you are not prepared for a melee, try to shoot them before they get close.

Perhaps an off the wall comment... As a wargamer as well as TTRPGer I have a yen to combine Traveller with some of the Too Fat Lardies tactical level/skirmish rules - Think Chain of Command (World War 2) rather than Sharp Practice (Black Powder). One of the things that CoC does is bring in randomisation, or if you prefer friction, and require you to deal with the die as you have cast them. It isn't RPG as such but the mechanism is clever and I can readily see how a) you could adapt the system for more of a RPG context; they do have campaign rules, b) update, certainly to mid-tech conflict and probably higher with an open mind and c) have a bag of fun and really challenge your players. The system is light years away from D&D not least because you do have to apply tactical thought and if nothing else I can see a more directly obvious use for skills such as leader, tactics and recon. Something that attracts me too is the low level nature of the game; no obvious killer units - tanks without infantry support do not do well for long. As you might imagined most if not all of the headings above can be catered for. So not RPG as we might know it but I'm always open to alternative ideas that spice things up and/or make the GM's job easier; oh and fun too.

And a rather different question which I have never been able to readily answer, at least to my own satisfaction - how do you avoid bottlenecks in on board TTRPG starship actions without being Luke Skywalker? Amusingly I suppose D&D tactics (in a dungeon) might apply. I have been involved in any number of scraps down a starship corridor and whilst having an interesting/unconventional layout allows some scope (but if you use the normal ships that isn't a real option) as does lack of light and of course tactics such as outflanking outside the ship can and do work it remains a potential problem especially if the players are not used to the situation. All too often it devolves into a random shoot out or a maniacal (and often suicidal) charge into a hail of slugs/lasers/flechettes.

As an associated thought has there ever been an article on marine boarding actions and/or boarding tactics? I strongly suspect there is something out there but I can't for the life of it remember. Despite my question I could see that would be a fun article.

Re: TFL - What-A-Tanker is a hoot, but I wouldn't want to incorporate it into vehicle combat in Traveller.
TPK because they never rolled a 5.

It's the thought that counts - not the TPK! Mayhap What a Cowboy? On show at Salute this Saturday. Dare I chance humiliation in front of thousands by shooting myself in the foot? I suppose my point is that different systems can all contribute to the RPG narrative; in my experience CoC has far less of the excrement or bust (and/or GM fiat can make it so) than What a Tanker but I also agree with you - great fun.

Perhaps an off the wall comment... As a wargamer as well as TTRPGer I have a yen to combine Traveller with some of the Too Fat Lardies tactical level/skirmish rules - Think Chain of Command (World War 2) rather than Sharp Practice (Black Powder). One of the things that CoC does is bring in randomisation, or if you prefer friction, and require you to deal with the die as you have cast them. It isn't RPG as such but the mechanism is clever and I can readily see how a) you could adapt the system for more of a RPG context; they do have campaign rules, b) update, certainly to mid-tech conflict and probably higher with an open mind and c) have a bag of fun and really challenge your players. The system is light years away from D&D not least because you do have to apply tactical thought and if nothing else I can see a more directly obvious use for skills such as leader, tactics and recon. Something that attracts me too is the low level nature of the game; no obvious killer units - tanks without infantry support do not do well for long. As you might imagined most if not all of the headings above can be catered for. So not RPG as we might know it but I'm always open to alternative ideas that spice things up and/or make the GM's job easier; oh and fun too.

And a rather different question which I have never been able to readily answer, at least to my own satisfaction - how do you avoid bottlenecks in on board TTRPG starship actions without being Luke Skywalker? Amusingly I suppose D&D tactics (in a dungeon) might apply. I have been involved in any number of scraps down a starship corridor and whilst having an interesting/unconventional layout allows some scope (but if you use the normal ships that isn't a real option) as does lack of light and of course tactics such as outflanking outside the ship can and do work it remains a potential problem especially if the players are not used to the situation. All too often it devolves into a random shoot out or a maniacal (and often suicidal) charge into a hail of slugs/lasers/flechettes.

As an associated thought has there ever been an article on marine boarding actions and/or boarding tactics? I strongly suspect there is something out there but I can't for the life of it remember. Despite my question I could see that would be a fun article.
On your first point, for CT there were the Striker miniature rules, which were good for platoon or company level fights and meshed with CT combat; it would be possible to use them for Mongoose as well. The abstracted Mercenary rules don't appeal to me as a game per se, but they do serve as convenience to see what happens while the players do their RPG stuff. I don't know the systems you mention, but probably they'd serve the same function?

For my money, the Mongoose combat system basically works pretty well for small actions, with some loose ends that are easy to house-rule in if you want.

I've not played any significant boarding actions, but it will have some of the same issues as close quarters combat in building, which I have played. I'd say: use grenades to clear rooms and/or get everyone to dive for cover so you can move in - stun grenades are best, unless there is armour, or tranqs unless they are in vacc suits. Pistols and melee will be more useful, which is balanced against the superior firepower of longarms. But being able to go around outside and breach through walls, and manipulate the atmosphere and grav plates are an additional aspect I haven't thought about, so controlling control centers would be key. It seems like being equipped and having the right skills sets would be really important. But I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about this.

Traveller in its many iterations assumes nearly all PCs have basic familiarity with combat.
But the trick is to be used to being or trained to be on the receiving end.

Go and practice karate for a couple of years, then pick a fight with a brawler, someone who has been in bar fights once a week for their whole life.

Practice for a few months on range targets and combat simulation runs, then have the targets shoot live rounds at you.

Traveller was written by wargame enthusiasts who were veterans.

So the first tactical principles

1 - learn basic infantry tactics
2 - learn CQB

The next thing to learn is the targets will be trying to kill you - no amount of paintball experience prepares you for seeing your friend's head explode.

Whenever possible be the first to shoot, first to punch etc.

CT got this spot on with the set up before combat and the surprise roll.

Last edited:
But the trick is to be used to being or trained to be on the receiving end.
In an RPG setting, this can be an big adjustment for players used to games where they can be hit many times before being incapacitated. In those games, "being on the receiving end" isn't great, but it isn't that big a problem. In Traveller, as with real infantry tactics, you need to NOT get hit, meaning the same imperatives apply as in real combat: take cover, shoot first.

A thing I like about Traveller combat is that its pretty hard to get killed (unless you are playing with Full Auto or Heavy Weapons), but getting wounded is a big deal. Both in terms of its immediate effect and the difficulty in getting healed. It discourages people from being reckless and to use sound tactics instead, but it doesn't threaten to remove characters on a random combat die roll.

A thing I like about Traveller combat is that its pretty hard to get killed (unless you are playing with Full Auto or Heavy Weapons), but getting wounded is a big deal. Both in terms of its immediate effect and the difficulty in getting healed. It discourages people from being reckless and to use sound tactics instead, but it doesn't threaten to remove characters on a random combat die roll.
I'm not sure I'd agree that it is hard to get killed. It is hard to get killed with a body pistol. But yes, usually it takes at least 2 or 3 shots to kill someone, and they'll very likely be incapacitate before they are dead - so a kind referee can signal they need to be more careful without killing the character.

The average character has 21 "hit points". Unless you are using a milspec weapon of some sort, it is extremely unlikely you will get killed, especially if you have some basic armor (like diplo vest). A single shot weapon weapon, pistol or rifle, is going to be 2D, 3D-3, or 3D. Even Burst fire from an ACR is 3d6+3. A 9mm autopistol will do 5 dmg on an average hit against 3 armor. An ACR burst will do 11. Even an ACR burst requires an 11+ to hit roll and max damage dice to one shot someone.

Add to that if everyone is dodging or taking cover and not some unusually high skill level, accuracy is going to be 50% or less.

People are going to hurt a lot, but getting killed will not be easy unless someone is deliberating finishing off the wounded and incapacitated. Or someone is just suicidally thinking this is like D&D. But that's a different problem.

So, I served a combat tour back in the bad ol' days of Reagan era gunboat diplomacy. Because of that, I'm a little bit... oh, maybe 'ruthless' is the word, but 'realistic' works just as well.
Some things I warn players about combat in games:
a] Be absolutely sure your character is ready and willing to take whatever consequences that comes from starting a fight. Never point a gun or pull a sword on something you're not willing to kill, right then and right there.
b] 'Consequences' are not always immediate. They can take weeks to arrive. Consequences can range from a certain professional respect and some bygone be bygones to legal trouble to assassination.
c] 'Cover' and 'Concealment' are two ENTIRELY different things. They're related, sure, but don't mistake one for the other.
d] 'Cover' only counts if it will resist the force of the attack against it. If someone is firing a plasma rifle at you, hiding behind a tree is no help.
e] If I as the referee start a fight as a plot device or story element, I will fudge the rolls a little here and there in order not to kill you outright. If you start a fight, then 'let the bodies hit the floor' and don't roll snake eyes.

People are going to hurt a lot, but getting killed will not be easy unless someone is deliberating finishing off the wounded and incapacitated. Or someone is just suicidally thinking this is like D&D. But that's a different problem.
In D&D, they would be finishing them off.... for the XP :) Many people do treat it like D&D, which makes it deadly for those people. And yes, Traveller fights do not need to be that deadly, IF you take advantage of the defensive options. NPCs don't usually have Gun Combat 4, so if characters are shooting from behind cover, they'll usually be ok, and usually if they get hit it won't be that bad. Often the max possible damage is quite high so you COULD be killed in one shot, but rolling 12 to hit, and 18 on the dice with your ACR is 1/7776 against: the d6 system strongly favours results near the average for the range.

b] 'Consequences' are not always immediate. They can take weeks to arrive. Consequences can range from a certain professional respect and some bygone be bygones to legal trouble to assassination.
c] 'Cover' and 'Concealment' are two ENTIRELY different things. They're related, sure, but don't mistake one for the other.
b) this is something I think is part of Traveller culture which is not always as strong in other RPGs. In Traveller, the context should make sense. Gunfire will bring police if there are police, and eventually they will bring enough force to kill or capture you, even if their tech is lower. Even law level 0 areas will have social order and customs: the deceased's friends and relatives are likely to take a dislike to you, and in such places vendettas are likely to be the way justice is served. If you make enemies, they will try to think of a way to get at you. PCs may have good reasons for finishing off their vanquished foes, but if not there are also good reasons to NOT do so.
c) suddenly discovering that your cover is actually just concealment can result in severe disappointment. On the point of concealment, I forgot to mention in the OP about smoke grenades: pretty darn useful. Remember to buy the thermal ones where appropriate.

In D&D, they would be finishing them off.... for the XP :) Many people do treat it like D&D, which makes it deadly for those people. And yes, Traveller fights do not need to be that deadly, IF you take advantage of the defensive options. NPCs don't usually have Gun Combat 4, so if characters are shooting from behind cover, they'll usually be ok, and usually if they get hit it won't be that bad. Often the max possible damage is quite high so you COULD be killed in one shot, but rolling 12 to hit, and 18 on the dice with your ACR is 1/7776 against: the d6 system strongly favours results near the average for the range.
Traveller players should thank the Uncaring Buddha of War every single day that the mechanics don't include a hit location system. Getting hit upside the brain-pan by a Gauss rifle would hurt like the dickens, helmet or no! ;)

Last edited:
The Vorkosigan space opera novels have the concept of "stunner tag." If agents on a civilized world go kinetic, they're still likely to only be using stunners, and not finishing off downed opponents, just accomplishing their other objective and leaving. So if they lose at that, or are captured by the authorities after winning, it's a much less serious offense and their embassy or patron can just bail them out.

GMs could do more to introduce that concept, either in or out of character. It certainly makes a lot of sense for high law level worlds. Then it's on players to decide whether they want to play along. Some players just always want to use their highest skill, and to always use their heaviest/highest damage dice gun. Which is a play decision they can make, but once word gets around probably people stop trying to play stunner tag with you and start bringing their own heavy weapons.

MWM's concept for T8 - Traveller for children aged 8+ - replaces slug throwers with stunners in the main so kids can pew pew but it's very Star Trek phasers set to stun.

Classic Traveller had the tranq round and finally introduced the stun carbine in the DA Divine Intervention.
Stun Carbine: An experimental energy weapon that fires a beam of ultrasonic
vibrations. When this beam hits a human, it inflicts 1D-1 points of damage and
may cause unconsciousness. The victim must throw below his current endurance
score on 3 dice to avoid being stunned. If he fails, the number of points by which
he missed the throw times ten is the number of minutes he will be stunned. (Subsequent
stuns are not cumulative.)

A stun carbine uses a power pack identical to that of a laser carbine, which can
provide 50 shots before requiring a recharge. Recharging requires at least 8 hours
connected to a high energy source. The stun carbine is connected to the power
pack by a heavy duty cable.
The stun carbine uses the same dexterity and range modifiers as a standard carbine,
but its maximum range is 50 meters (medium range). It will not function in
a vacuum. Targets wearing vacc suits, combat armor, or battle dress are immune
to the weapon's effects. All other armor has no effect on the weapon's chance to hit.
Length: 700 mm. Weight of carbine: 3500 grams. Weight of power pack: 3000
grams. Base price: Cr3000.(if available). Extra power packs: Cr1000.
Tech level: 15.

Last edited:
Many, if not most, Traveller groups are civilians (mercs at best). Thus ownership & use of certain weapons will be restricted or prohibited. I don't think that many worlds will allow civvies to lob grenades (even to protect themselves from megafauna).
Depending on your campain, the fights might be limited to sidearms, shotguns & hunting rifles (no ACR or other military weapons).

I'm really new to traveller, and ended up with a 1v1 encounter. Neither of us had armor. He had a dagger and I had a stunner. It took me 3 rounds to get him knocked down, and had I rolled 1 damage less, his next turn would have most likely knocked me down. With the scene, it would have been pretty hard to explain away some form of survival for me. I'm still struggling to learn the mechanics, so part of it can be blamed on that.

The planet this happened on just happened to be a law level 9 planet. It's my understanding that as a result of that, all firearms and almost all armor are banned, so I can't sport my firearms or even my cloth armor. How do I work around this? Without getting into a lot of details on the mission and everything, there is a good chance I will end up in a fight in a building against one or more opponents. With the law level restriction, I have no idea how to overcome this.

I come from other ttrpgs such as D&D and pathfinder, so I have already learned I am not prepared for the brutality of Traveller. I really enjoy combat, even when challenging, but if a single opponent armed with a dagger can nearly kill me and only by the skin of my teeth I survive, I don't know that there's going to be much enjoyment here for me. I don't need to wade through a flood of goblins, but surely taking on a couple of goons should be within reason? It is a game after all.

Refs, use common sense. Thugs will generally not have access to a PG or FG of any kind. Nor are they likely to have access to the latest high tech ACR, gyrojet, gauss rifle, vehicle-mounted rocket launcher and so on - and even if they did, they would not be bringing those expensive weapons into the alleyway with them.
Players, it's not a video game. The thugs are not going to jump in front of you screaming "Roll initiative!" Exactly as stated above, you will not be trading blows HTH, until one of you reaches zero. Look at the way fights are portrayed in noir thrillers - if the gunsel is brandishing a pistol, he wants you to STOP and to come with him (which means that he's taking you to his boss, which means you cut the scene and begin the next scene in the boss's office, where the boss will monologue you half to death - or hire you for a job).
Player: if you have a gun, and the thugs have knives, and you have range, let off one shot into the air. Ref: that's your cue to say that the thugs see the light and rabbit out of there.
Everyone: if the thugs have the drop on you, they are likely only there to give your characters such a kicking. Again, letting off a gun is a VERY effective (Persuade 7) deterrent. But if you're on the way to a show, unarmed, unarmoured, your guys fight back, martial arts, pins, throws, chokeholds. Just tell the Ref what you want to do, make those opposed rolls, just narrate the goons flying into brick walls or falling over. Combat scenes early in the story are just spice. Ref - never, under any circumstances, do something as stupid as deliver a TPK before the Travellers even get to see the Patron.
In short ...
- Hardly any encounter is combat.
- Hardly any battles are battles to the death.
- Never run a session like a video game: mooks, midlevels, level boss, next level. Life's not like that.
- Don't loot the bodies for their drop treasure, please.
- Traveller combat is tactical. Remember cover, flanking manoeuvres, suppressing fire. Count your ammo.
- Oops - you didn't bring along your weapons because you weren't expecting to get into a fight on your way to that musical. Use your fists. Better yet, use your legs. Get out of there real fast. Nobody in their right mind thinks "I hear noises coming from that dark, seedy alleyway. Let's go see!" - they hear noises, they turn around and take another road.
- Last, combat scenes aren't going to be an opportunity for your Travellers to show off fancy moves. It's not a video game, but it's not a movie either. There's no background music where they live. You want to end the fight, and if you can end it before it even begins, brill.

Last edited:
Back