Would you like to see a Dilgar Invasion campaign book?

Would you like to see a Dilgar Invasion campaign book?

• No. I don't want campaign books

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No to the Dilgar but yes to "other" campaigns

• Yes. But only the Dilgar

• Yes. And I want more campaigns please!

• Total voters
Thought I'd run a poll and see a) how much support there is for having a Dilgar Invasion campaign book (along the lines of the Minbari War book), featuring scenarios representing the major battles and most importantly the EA and league fleets of that era

Also should this be the kind of thing that Mongoose does more of? Think about a Narn-Centauri war campaign pack, EA civil war etc

Wulf Corbett said:
I'd support campaign books as far better than more and more new ship designs (as in the B5W Variants books).

Wulf

you mean I can't have 10 different variants on the Primus hull depending on which emperor is in power/what colour carpets are fitted? :shock:

emperorpenguin said:
you mean I can't have 10 different variants on the Primus hull depending on which emperor is in power/what colour carpets are fitted? :shock:
In D&D (a major reason why I abandoned D&D even before D20) I called this the "different colour of dragon" phenomenon. Every new supplement and scenario book had to have new monsters, new treasures, and, yes, a different colour of dragon.

Sure, don't bother actually putting any effort or imagination into it, don't worry about a decent plot or background, just throw some numbers around... :(

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
emperorpenguin said:
In D&D (a major reason why I abandoned D&D even before D20) I called this the "different colour of dragon" phenomenon. Every new supplement and scenario book had to have new monsters, new treasures, and, yes, a different colour of dragon.

Sure, don't bother actually putting any effort or imagination into it, don't worry about a decent plot or background, just throw some numbers around... :(

Wulf

and you end up with useless ships such as the Amar.....

sometimes less is more :wink:

Yes, but I want the War of Retribution first, followed by the Earth Civil War, followed by The Shadow War (with rules for the Vorlon Planet Killer!)

Cheers
Mark

While I'd like to see campaign packs, I'd like to see ones where ther players have more control over the events and the flow of Battle. As it stands the E-M war book is just a bunch of thematically linked scenarios, but it'd be interesting to get a pack with pre-generated solar systems and such to plug into the existing campaign rules

emperorpenguin said:
MarkNorfolk said:
Yes, but I want the War of Retribution first,
Cheers
Mark

you mean the war of laying the smack down on those smelly repsupials? :wink:

Don't you just hate it when the natives get restless?

MarkNorfolk said:
Yes, but I want the War of Retribution first, followed by the Earth Civil War, followed by The Shadow War (with rules for the Vorlon Planet Killer!)

Cheers
Mark

Wonder if the main bean on the Vorlon PK will sport the same whooping 2 AD as the Shadow Planet Killer does...

Lorcan Nagle said:
While I'd like to see campaign packs, I'd like to see ones where ther players have more control over the events and the flow of Battle. As it stands the E-M war book is just a bunch of thematically linked scenarios, but it'd be interesting to get a pack with pre-generated solar systems and such to plug into the existing campaign rules

Reading the designer's notes at the back of the E-M war it certainly appears that there's something missing. All that talk about the Abbai and other races being able to "get involved".....

hmm, yes and no. I'm already concerned that ACTA could become the new warhammer with new rules every 6 weeks, rules and items that only exist in the magazines (but at least S+P is free!) and multiple versions and varients of every ship depending which colur supplement you have.
As long as the campaign books are well structured with clear ship definitions and such, it might just work, but then again. . . as Wulf says, different colour dragon. . .

hiffano said:
hmm, yes and no. I'm already concerned that ACTA could become the new warhammer with new rules every 6 weeks, rules and items that only exist in the magazines (but at least S+P is free!) and multiple versions and varients of every ship depending which colur supplement you have.
As long as the campaign books are well structured with clear ship definitions and such, it might just work, but then again. . . as Wulf says, different colour dragon. . .

I'd hate to see variations for the sake of it as B5 Wars was so fond of (and this Omega variant has underfloor heating while this Primus variant attempts to explain away show inconsistencies...) :wink:

There's already a few ships in SFOS which aren't competitive and could be dropped, that was one of the good things about the tourney lists, just cutting to the chase

However a few early variants for the Dilgar era are needed as it's just wrong fighting them with Warlocks and Apollos. The E-M war book did a good job of giving fleets specific to the time period

I'd not be in favour of a Narn-Centauri book introducing x number of new variants though, but concentrating instead on the scenarios and campaign

Yes to more campaign books and also yes to a unified mega campaign guide so you can fight battles over more than one system.
I see nothing wrong with variants of ships as long as they are for a role which is actually needed i.e mine layer/sweeper versions, troop ship versions etc.

I'm still learning ACtA, but is there support for long term campaigns/mega games? Such as setting up a possible 2+ player campaign
A star map is set up with total systems, their value and connecting paths (Some possibly taking 2 turns to traverse)

Each player is given a number of worlds and a certain number of points with which to build fleets and defenses.

Neutral worlds are set up between the different players, some possibly with their own defenses as well as their own point values.

Players then each take turns, ala Risk, moving fleets about and claiming new territory (possibly fighting the local goverments, say, NPC goverments, controlled by one of the other players for the battle). At the end of a turn, players get additional points based on territory claimed.

New ships can only be built at systems equiped with a shipyard (each player could start with 1-2 and build or capture new ones)

rules for mega-campaigns were in the original boxed set of ACTA but not in SFOS

Matt said he was interested in setting up a worlwide tournament circuit, how about a world wide mega campaign?
SST did something similar with Zegama Beach

MarkNorfolk said:

Cheers
Mark

Proberbly in Ships of the line or universe

I think he may be talking about the kind of campaign guide I did for FA which has rules for espionaige, galactic stock market, economic warfare, how long ships take to build and how much they cost, how much economic points a system generates etc etc

Ren'Sur said:
I think he may be talking about the kind of campaign guide I did for FA which has rules for espionaige, galactic stock market, economic warfare, how long ships take to build and how much they cost, how much economic points a system generates etc etc

Yes, although not as extensive. I was thinking of running a campaign more along the lines of "You control System X at the end of the turn, you get Y victory points to purchas new ships" only the new ships can only be launched from systems with shipyards.

Could possibly use different levels of shipyards. A homeworld could be equiped with a War level shipyard and capable of producing a war level point of ships per round. To make it easy, new shipyards could be bought at their level (a war level yard costs 1 war point)

Think of it like playing Risk or Axis and Allies with ACtA

The random scenario generator in the existing campaign rules has the disadvantage of being formulaic, artificial, and not entirely connected to the strategy of the campaign. The other side of the coin is that it has the great advantage of reducing battles to a sensible, playable size.
We managed to house- rule up an alternate system that required copious book- keeping and produced situations we never really had adequate time to fight out. Re-inventing the wheel is bad enough, but coming up with a hexagon was just silly.
The existing system is an at least tolerable combination of smoothness and ease of play and tactical interest. Just expand on it.

Back